Glow Light Tetras Bloated - Dropsy?

FearlessDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Most of my glow lit Tetras are insanely bloated and I was wondering if it was dropsy. If so how do I treat it? None of my other fish seem to be affected.
419bca4faf2c22b40edbc8a5584c2d6a.jpg

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are their scales protruding at all? Kind of like a pinecone?

What do you feed them? How much? How often?

When was the last time you fed them?

Are you noticing any white stringy poo?

I'd fast for two days and try feeding a deshelled pea.

OP
FearlessDreamer

FearlessDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Scales are not protruding, no stringy poop. They are fed 2-3 times weekly. And they just got fed a little bit ago. I fed them two or three pees a couple days ago when I noticed their bloating, and it seems to be getting worse.

I feed them shrimp one time a week and the other days they are fed tetra pro “tropical color crisps” and approximately a large pinch of those, just so it can be dispersed between them and the rest of the fish.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are they always bloated, or just on the days you feed them? Maybe you're feeding them too much at one time. 2-3 times a week isn't often enough, in my opinion.

OP
FearlessDreamer

FearlessDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They aren’t usually bloated, about 5 days ago they appeared bloated, wasn’t sure why so I tested the water which was normal and did water changes three days in a row.

Adriifu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This just looks like a simple case of over-feeding. If you're only feeding them two to three times a week, then you're probably feeding them a lot of food during these days. I would suggest feeding them once everyday in small portions. If they get any bigger than this, I would feed them the inside of a pea after a two to three day fast.

How many fish are actually in the tank?

OP
FearlessDreamer

FearlessDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 6 neons, 7 glowlits, a bristle nose, 6 cories, a snail and shrimp. So about 20 fish over all.

Adriifu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
And how big is the tank?

When you feed your fish, do you see the tetras taking a lot of food, possibly more than the other fish?

Flakes can be soaked in water before being added to the tank to prevent bloating. I would try this as well as the directions I gave you in my previous paragraph.

OP
FearlessDreamer

FearlessDreamer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank is 35 gallons I believe. Generally it is mainly the Tetras taking in the food, and I’ll try it and see what happens

Adriifu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FearlessDreamer said:
Tank is 35 gallons I believe. Generally it is mainly the Tetras taking in the food, and I’ll try it and see what happens
Alright. They're probably just a bit greedy compared to the other fish. I sometimes need to block my betta fish from taking food from another fish. I feed him after they've received their food. Anyway, good luck!

Brittni808

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you did the right thing by giving them peas! always helps my bloated fish, hopefully whatever it is resolves itself soon.

New Threads