Glow light danios

1. Steelersfishguy Initiate Member

Are glow light danios fin nippers?? I have fancy guppies , neon tetras cardinal tetras green fire tetras , wondering if the glow lights are nipping at the guppies tail fins ??? Thank you !!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I assume that they are zebra danios?
    Mine, though not glo light, have never been fin nippers or aggressive at all (although they are generally first to the food, but then so am I, so I wouldn't hold that against them:))
    They are very active, though, and as schooling fish need plenty of company with whom to burn off their inexhaustible energy.-rick

3. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

There are "glow light tetras" but I have never heard of glow light danios. If you are speaking of the glow light tetras then they would be fine with the other fish you listed.

What size tank are we talking as most of those are schooling fish and need to be kept in schools of at least 5 but preferably 6-8 or more. Glow light tetras are also a schooling fish so you would need 5-8 of those as well.

4. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I've seen glo-light tetras, danios, and now barbs. They're all supposed to have the same temperament as their cousins.

It's probably the tetras. I've heard they nip fins of other fish sometimes when their school isn't large enough. My neons destroyed the tail of a fellow neon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. k9z3boys Member Member

our glodanios get along with everybody. they school with the zebra and the longfin and enjoy buzzing the rubberlip ( which is why he probably never comes out,....)
    we haven't seen any fin nipping

6. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I think your plec species is of a rather retiring nature, meaning that he or she is likely around at night, which is sad, as they are rather lovely fish.
    I do know that danios have been made into glowlight with the addition of a gene, and am fairly certain that it is the zebra danio that was enhanced.---rick

7. Bob Ellis Member Member

Let's make the distinction between the normal glowlight tetra and the danio version of the artificially bright GloFish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. k9z3boys Member Member

I concur
    we rarely see him. It is sad.
    Yes. I agree the danios are probably zebra mutants looking at the body

9. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

There's also a species called glowlight danio aka danio choprae. from seriouslyfish Danio-choprae-3.jpg

10. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

It's pretty simple just to go to the glo-fish website and find the information and varieties.

http://www.glofish.com/meet-glofish/glofish-gallery/

EDIT: I realize this may have sounded snarky, I didn't intend it to. I didn't know about the glo-fish barbs until two days ago so I've been looking them up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I myself did not detect a single snark, although I do wish that you could get your cat to relax abit more:).
    My daughter and I were watching a movie this afternoon, when a mouse happen to enter through an open window. He or she walked by 5 cats in various states of response, to nibble on their kibble.
    Seriously.
    I have the only vegan cats outside of PETA.------rick ok, cat kibble is not vegan, but is close enough for my mighty predators

12. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I would stock at least 8 of them and you'll be fine!! I have 11 longfin gold danio's and they don't nip anybody's fins, I actually had to remove the guppies out of my community tank because the females were nipping my pleco's fins.

13. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Oh he relaxes much, much more. That one wouldn't know what to do with a mouse. It's the one not pictured that mice would have to worry about. :)

Did you know, cats are one of the few obligate carnivores? Fluffy wouldn't make it vegan, or vegetarian! Their idea of PETA is the same as mine. People Eating Tasty Animals. Or felines, in this case. FETA!

14. k9z3boys Member Member

so its not just me!! when we put the baby bristlenose in with the guppies, they immediately attacked him!
    when we put him in the 60 no one even noticed.
    mean ole nippy guppies!

15. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Exactly I had 1 male and 3 females. The male wasn't going after anybody,but the females were just mean as ever! Don't know if it was stress from the male or what!