Glow Danios Mean To Each Other

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by KasiaM, Apr 8, 2017.

1. K

KasiaM New Member Member

I have three glow danios in the tank -- yellow, red and blue. The yellow and blue are ganging up on the red one who is spending most of the time in the corner and seems terrified. Should I separate them and if so, how -- put the two aggressive ones in the baby net or separate the red one to keep it safe? Thanks!

2. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

They get aggressive if they aren't in a big enough school. They need to be with 6 or more.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Is the tank fully stocked? If possible I would put 3 more in and I think you would see those behaviors change.

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, they might stop it and school together if kept in a school of 6+. You can mix them with other colors of glo danios, or just regular zebra danios.

What size tank and what is the other stock?

5. OP
    OP
    K

KasiaM New Member Member

Yes, the tank is pretty full. Not sure I can fit three more. Should I bring them back to the store? Separation for a bit will not help?

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

These danios are schooling fish and must be kept in a school of 6 or more, or it will shorten their lifespan. If you don't have the ability to do that, I might as well rehome it.

What size tank and stock?

7. OP
    OP
    K

KasiaM New Member Member

30 gallon tank and already crowded -- two angel fish and in additional to the three danios, three harlequins. and 6 tetras. Also an algae eater.

8. sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

I understand your dilemma. I have 5 glo danios in a 10 gallon and one of them is constantly harassing the other 4. I was thinking of bringing the 'bully' back to the store and getting another one. However, it seems that I might just need to get a few more. The problem is I may end up overstocking my tank with the two corys I have in there as well. I'm not sure what to tell you but the glo danios are not very big and I don't think adding a few more would significantly overstock you tank. Everyone correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would rehome the glo danios, they nee to be kept in groups of 6+ and need cooler water than the angelfish anyway.

11. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I totally agree. If your tank is already fully stocked, I wouldn't replace them with anything. Better to have too few fish than too many.

12. sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

I got 2 more glo danios to make a total of 7. I also have 2 pepper corys and a nerite snail. The 'bully' of the crowd seems to have settled down a bit but he still nips at the others sometimes. The larger the group the better but if you are overstocked then I would stick to rehoming them to someone that can take on a bigger group of them.

13. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Peppered cories need to be in groups of 6+ and need cooler water thaan the angel too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice