Gloves help—pls!

KribensisLover1

Well Known
So I have this amazing pair of gloves. The atlas ones that go up to your shoulders and are cotton lined. I didn’t get just rubber lined bc I wanted to protect my hands with a softer inside. I have two pairs, one at each of my tanks (they’re at two diff homes). The older pair (8 months old) STINKS. I turn them inside out to dry them when they get wet inside but every time I change the water EVEN AFTER I WASH MY ARMS WITH SOAP ALL THE WAY UP my fiancé says ‘you’ve been wearing the gloves again. They stink’. And the newer ones (2 months old) at the other house are starting to smell. My seven year old nephew says they smell like wet dog. Pls any suggestions? It makes me not want to wear them unless I’m going to shower directly after and I use them often bc I am allergic to blood worms and brine shrimp even days later in the water. I got the rec for these glove on this site so I know other people have them. Any suggestions?!!
2A6D830D-2B70-40C1-8BDB-DFC748E8138E.jpeg

FishBoy101

Well Known
KribensisLover1 said:
So I have this amazing pair of gloves. The atlas ones that go up to your shoulders and are cotton lined. I didn’t get just rubber lined bc I wanted to protect my hands with a softer inside. I have two pairs, one at each of my tanks (they’re at two diff homes). The older pair (8 months old) STINKS. I turn them inside out to dry them when they get wet inside but every time I change the water EVEN AFTER I WASH MY ARMS WITH SOAP ALL THE WAY UP my fiancé says ‘you’ve been wearing the gloves again. They stink’. And the newer ones (2 months old) at the other house are starting to smell. My seven year old nephew says they smell like wet dog. Pls any suggestions? It makes me not want to wear them unless I’m going to shower directly after and I use them often bc I am allergic to blood worms and brine shrimp even days later in the water. I got the rec for these glove on this site so I know other people have them. Any suggestions?!!
To be honest, I love to chuck my hands right into the when I want to help the tank, I wouldn't get another set of gloves, but that is my prefrence.

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
FishBoy101 said:
To be honest, I love to chuck my hands right into the when I want to help the tank, I wouldn't get another set of gloves, but that is my prefrence.
I used to except I have a skin condition called raynauds so I have terrible circulation ( I’m on channel blockers like blood pressure meds for it at age 39) and I can’t have my hands getting super dried out or have an allergic reaction to the frozen foods. I used to stick them in and my doc was like WHAT HAVE YOU DONE so then I stuck them in and wore gloves with lotion to sleep in and she was like look it’s either have pain years from now bc you’ve exacerbated the dryness and circulation or wear gloves. So ugh I chose gloves. LoL.

FishBoy101

Well Known
KribensisLover1 said:
I used to except I have a skin condition called raynauds so I have terrible circulation ( I’m on channel blockers like blood pressure meds for it at age 39) and I can’t have my hands getting super dried out or have an allergic reaction to the frozen foods. I used to stick them in and my doc was like WHAT HAVE YOU DONE so then I stuck them in and wore gloves with lotion to sleep in and she was like look it’s either have pain years from now bc you’ve exacerbated the dryness and circulation or wear gloves. So ugh I chose gloves. LoL.
Oh. I have my own allergies... I know how you feel. Maybe all rubber and you put in some padding which can be changed?

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
FishBoy101 said:
Oh. I have my own allergies... I know how you feel. Maybe all rubber and you put in some padding which can be changed?
Yes I guess so. I hate to buy new and I do love mine. I wonder if I can wash them in the washer dryer. I don’t see why not actually.

Pfrozen

Well Known
KribensisLover1 said:
Yes I guess so. I hate to buy new and I do love mine. I wonder if I can wash them in the washer dryer. I don’t see why not actually.
Vinegar should kill the wet dog smell and you wont have to worry about soap residue :)

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Pfrozen said:
Vinegar should kill the wet dog smell and you wont have to worry about soap residue :)
Wait how? What do I do? When I turn the gloves inside out, the specific fingers Of the gloves are super hard to pull out individually. I can do it with tweezers—yet they don’t come out super well in terms of being able to dry out fully—so what do you recommend? I haven’t ever tried to wash them out even with water yet.

Pfrozen

Well Known
KribensisLover1 said:
Wait how? What do I do? When I turn the gloves inside out, the specific fingers Of the gloves are super hard to pull out individually. I can do it with tweezers—yet they don’t come out super well in terms of being able to dry out fully—so what do you recommend? I haven’t ever tried to wash them out even with water yet.
I checked out the product description and it looks like vinegar should be totally fine for nitrile. I would just wash them with some vinegar in water, either by hand or with your washing machine, and dry them on "air dry" in your dryer. There should be a setting for no heat. I wash my kids stuffed animals like that all the time and haven't ruined any yet :)

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Pfrozen said:
I checked out the product description and it looks like vinegar should be totally fine for nitrile. I would just wash them with some vinegar in water, either by hand or with your washing machine, and dry them on "air dry" in your dryer. There should be a setting for no heat. I wash my kids stuffed animals like that all the time and haven't ruined any yet :)
Thank you! Seriously this is awesome. I don’t have kids (yet) and don’t know these life hacks. You’re the best! I can’t wait. Seriously here we come smell free arms!

MacZ

Well Known
MrBryan723 said:
Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or febreeze are all decent options for smells. Oxiclean works too.
With a skin condition I would avoid any chemicals. And even with vinegar I'd be wary.

How about getting full rubber gloves and wear an extra cotton glove inside, that you can remove and wash separately? Maybe even getting 2 pairs cotton gloves so they can be changed while one is in the laundry?

MrBryan723

Well Known
MacZ said:
With a skin condition I would avoid any chemicals. And even with vinegar I'd be wary.

How about getting full rubber gloves and wear an extra cotton glove inside, that you can remove and wash separately? Maybe even getting 2 pairs cotton gloves so they can be changed while one is in the laundry?
H2O2 doesn't leave a residue of any sort so it would make sense.

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Thank you guys! When you say wash them in the machine with vinegar or hydrogen (or any of the above) should I add a capful of whichever one and throw the gloves in? How much should I use? And would it help (do you think) to wash with the specific agent and then run it again with only water and then dry on no heat? I am trying not to have to spend more—so since the gloves stink so bad now, I think I’ll TRY a wash—and if my hands are too sensitive I’ll go the rubber and cotton route. bc the all rubber with cotton is brilliant. Ty! First I’m going to try washing just bc what the hey ya know? Then move on to other glove options! Thank you SO much!

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Just an update. So nobody wanted me to use anything besides detergent in the washers lol so I turned them inside out washed on cold and then hung to dry and they’re great!

New Threads