Glossostigma Carpet One Week Progress!

1. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Exactly one week ago, I saw some Glosso at petco when I went for some cat food. I usually don't buy my fish stuff there unless its food or ferts/water treatment. But I saw some glosso in one of those emmersed packets with the gel stuff. I know these tend to melt but decided to give it a try and carpet a small section in the front of the tank since I have been wanting to buy this plant for a while. From one week to today, this is how its grown!

BEFORE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My dwarf hairgrass was also bought there. This one is however going through some serious melting at the moment, but I have read this one gets terrible before bursting back to life and spreading out very rapidly. I have however seen plenty of new runners coming out during the past few days.

The only issue I'm having at the moment is this brown spot like algae that grew on the glass of my tank. It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to scratch off, even if I run my nail over it super hard. I already tried the magnetoc sponge and the credit card method, neither worked, and I'm scared of using a razor blade since its not glass and might scratch the surface

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, you must have great lighting! Something I was taught back when I did horticulture was that the top growth won't happen if there's root growth going on, so hopefully that means your hairgrass is rooting like crazy in your substrate and someday you'll wake up to an instant lush carpet;)

Don't know what to do about that brown algae. Ever thought about getting nerites?

3. andrearamirezo91 Well Known Member Member

Yes! I have the finnex planted, which is seriously amazing. I did put a root tab under the glosso and a couple spread out under the dhg. Plus flourish comp and iron and potassium that i'm dosing every other day. Not gonna lie, when I started dosing the tank with the extra iron and potassium separately I saw an instant improvement in my plants. I even had some jungle valls months ago in there that had burnt down with the excel (i now have diy co2) and i had removed all the valls from the tank. Well to my surprise I saw some vall leaves popping out of the substrate the other day!

I dont even think nerites will do the job. I'm picking up four amanos from my lfs today but thats only to help control the algae on my dhg. The stuff on the glass is impossible no matter how hard i scrub. Looks super uggly and dull, I really have no idea how I'm getting that off.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Snails may look soft and squidgy but their radula is a thing to be reckoned with! I bet they could do something about your algae;)