GloFish

LDavis

These are the best pics I have been able to get of my GloFish (Zebra Danios). I have not had anyluck with my Orange ones.

Attachments

• 7IWQUZT8VO.jpg
    7IWQUZT8VO.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 716
  • YX3K0OD5K5.jpg
    YX3K0OD5K5.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 2,168

Walky

to FishLore! nice fish

GemstonePony

my sister's been begging me to get those, but I don't want to devote so much bioload and they get nippy. They're pretty though! and congrats on such clear pics! my danios never sit still enough, especially when a camera is in sight

LDavis

In the Dark?

Also, This is the best I can do in the dark with only the blue LED's on so they can "glow". Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a canon dslr with a 18-55mm lens. If I increase the shutter speed needed to capture the fish with out it just being a blur I lose too much of the light and can not see the glow.

Attachments

• rsz_img_6992.jpg
    rsz_img_6992.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,523

Walky

There might be better "glowing" lights available, like some kind of blacklight, however prolonged UV exposure can be hazardous and can also kill benificial bacteria and other microorganisms in the tank.

LDavis

Going to stay away from the black lights for just those reasons. I just finished my first cycle and it was a long one. I had a fungus that I had to medicate for and it prolonged the bacteria growth. I don't want to do something else to mess up the cycle now. Thank you for the tip though.

konstargirl

They are pretty! I see them everywhere now.

Tropical Fish Keeper

I have 6 glofish now and they are by far my most beautiful fish ever. I don't like using a black light for long periods because it can cause the fish to slowly become blind

Lucy

I don't like using a black light for long periods because it can cause the fish to slowly become blind

A little off topic....
I've never heard black lights can cause blindness.
Is there a link, I'd be interesting in reading more about it.
The Glofish website suggests a black light for night time viewing although not continuously.

Walky

I wouldn't necessarily discount that. Any prolonged exposure to UV light can be hazardous to many life forms and I can certainly see how it might seriously affect a fish's retina.

Lucy

I wouldn't necessarily discount that.

If you're refering to my post, I'm not discounting it.
In this hobby, we never stop learning.
I simply asked for a link to continue the learning process.

onemoreaddyplease

They look good!

I don't want to devote so much bioload and they [the danios] get nippy.

GemstonePony, I might, eventually, want to get some of these. How much space do they need? Is it in goldfish proportions? (Those guys are ridiculously messy ...)

GemstonePony

How much space do they need? Is it in goldfish proportions?
no, they are simply GM zebra danios. I only have a 20gal. tank and didn't want to take up half my bioload with 5 fish. They are so energetic that, IME, keeping them in less than 20gal. can cause them to get injured from constantly hitting things. I've also had them get stuck in ornaments and asphyxiate, so make sure plenty of hazard-free "freak-out" room is given. They can have fairly small bioloads, depending on how much you feed them. also, make sure the temp doesn't go too high, I've lost some to that too.

Walky

If you're refering to my post, I'm not discounting it.
In this hobby, we never stop learning.
I simply asked for a link to continue the learning process.

sorry, I could have worded that better. And you're right, I would like to see a source to confirm.

Redshark1

I tried the blacklights but I was disappointed. They did glow dimly, but it wasn't as wonderful as seeing the fish swim through the plants under tropical (pink) lamps which bring out their colours and where they also glow strongly.

Generally fabulous fish, I no longer breed these as I found that mine were becoming very inbred with many physical problems. No new fish were available in my area to strengthen the bloodline. They never suffered from any disease though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom