GloFish

Thunder

290.jpg

^^^ Most current pix.

I'd like the name of the plants.

291.jpg

The lights at PetSmart is so expensive, so I got the one at Walmart, but I'm not sure if it is enough.

Green packaging. Plant & Aquarium F15
Light output is 510 lumens. 15 watts.
"cri" says 90k.

The description says "Contains a combination of phosphors which produce light rich in reds and blues.

I don't really feel comfortable using EcoComplete or Fluorite.

I have Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement.

I need to get Co2, so here is a link. Good?

There is a local city forum that I tried getting more specific help, but no luck, so I'd really like to know the name of these plants, guide on correct lighting and more specifically on how to actually keep plants alive.

Aquarist
Hello Thunder. Beautiful tank! I don't have a great deal of living plant experience. This link may help you do ID the plants:

Ken

peacemaker92
HI Thunder. Lookin' good! I love the sunken titanic theme and deco. Really nice!

Thunder
These two I bought at Walmart, so would they be classified as Very Easy to Easy group?

Nate McFin
The plants look lke Amazon Sword Plants. Echinodorus Amazonicas.
They will get quite large and may outgrow the tank but they look great now!
They do like root tab fertilizers as they are heavy root feeders.

WELCOME TO FISHLORE and GREAT looking tank!
PS You may want to fill out your aquarium info for everyone else to see.

Thunder
I got the Co2 set up. It takes 2 to 10 hours for the first bubbles to appear then 24 to 48 hours for it to be fully functional.

I also bought the Life Glo light and it is 6,700k. It is brighter than the one I bought at Walmart.

I like the White Ribbon plant, but I just checked and found that it is not a true aquatic plant. PetSmart is dumb. It looks like plants coming in such plastic container (not being in the water) is not a true aquatic plant.

JaneAustenAddict
Wonderful tank! How are the glofish doing? I tried them once and they died after only a month

Thunder
They are doing great. When I first set it up, I added 3, then one each week. I was suppose to add the final 6th, but I put it on hold due to changing things around. Soon there will be 6. All of them is alive.

I'm only using Prime to condition the water without altering the PH or anything else.

Thunder

309.jpg

The light is brighter (6,700k) than the one from Walmart. My phone camera made it look more brighter in the pix. In the back, you can see the diffuser for the Co2.

Which light you all like?

Thunder
Just want to see how long it takes for the first bubble out of the Co2 canister from anyone here. I still haven't seen any yet, so I'm a bit concern about this.

Thunder
I've found the date on the packets for the Activator and Stabilizer.

10 2006

So... That is bad luck for me!

Today, after work, I'll get some yeast. Can anyone recommend which yeast?

OMG! I just went to look at the tank and I saw this huge bubble going up zip zag the ladder. I'm totally confused now! Altho, the bubble doesn't seem to be getting smaller.

Hello. I merged your posts since there was no response between.
Thanks!
Ken

Nate McFin
You might be better off starting a new thread on the Hagen system you might get more help.
Sorry I don't know much about them.

Thunder
Everything is fine now. It took that thing 2 days to start. lol I watched it closely and, yes, the bubbles do get smaller as they go up the ladder.

mosin360
Nice plants!

Thunder
Last night, I came home with the 6th fish. I noticed one was sticking to the top breathing rapidly. I also noticed that there was numerous of bubbles on the ladder, so I took the whole thing out. Now 8 hours later, that fish seem to still be breathing rapidly and the others staying at the surface.

TedsTank
I'm wondering if the co2 thing might be a bit much for a 10 gallon setup???

Not familiar with CO2 setups. My plants have always done good without anything extra cept occasional fertilizer doses.

Nate McFin
When was the tank started and what method of cycling was used? Have you taken ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite readings?
By the way the plant on the right looks like an Aluminum plant if I am not mistaken. If it is it is non aquatic.

Thunder
This was set up 10-17-2009 on my Birthday. I started with 3 fish then one weekly until there was 5. There was never an issue with them swimming actively and eating.

Last night, I added the 6th. About a week ago, I put in the plants.

Which right plant are you talking about? Two is real, one on the far left is plastic, and the colorful ones on the far right attached to stones is silk.

It is only this one fish, it is special, because his top head is red (not white like the others). Still at the top, breathing rapidly. I did do 25% water change a few hours ago.

I don't have any testing kits. I can't afford one now. lol

The issue started with this one fish when I saw like 5 to 8 bubbles on the ladder at the same time streaming up, one after another.

The lighting is Life Glo 6,700k 15 watts. There is a heater that keep the temp at a steady 78-80. The filter is AquaClear 30.

Here is a pix taken just now with my phone.

349.jpg

350.jpg

353.jpg

This is the fish that Death is waiting for...

355.jpg

Not eating either.

With the Co2 aside, how many fish does it take to generate enough Co2 in this tank size and how much plants can I get?

Nate McFin
To check your to see if your Co2 levels are proper you need a drop checker. It turnsa colors when at different levels.
Green Leaf Aquariums has them.
I don't believe the Co2 is the issue with your fish. I do believe you have high ammonia levels. Can you take your water in to have it tested? Most fish stores do it for free. Test kits are VERY important for new tanks. There is no other way to know if the tank is cycled. This fish won't be the last without a test kit~!

Thunder
I know. I just felt so comfortable with my years of knowledge that I didn't buy a kit. lol I'll get one as soon I can. I still don't understand how the Ammonia can be so high with water change every 2 or 3 days. PetSmart is the closest store to me that I can have the water tested, if they still do. I'll be back with update.

Thunder
The fish is dead. The others is doing quite fine.

Thunder
I was just told that because the tank setup is not high tech (not enough wattage, tank size, few plants), the Co2 dropped my PH down low to acidity so quickly that stressed the one fish to death. It sure did pump out so much Co2, so I removed the whole thing.

I'll just push the stocking limit, I think, to make sure just enough Co2 coming from the fishes to supply the plants.

Nate McFin
Low Ph from Co2 will not harm fish as it does not change KH (carbonate hardness). Lack of oxygen with high Co2 levels will but that would affect all the fish most likely.

Thunder
I took everything out and put in the EcoComplete. This is taking a long time, because every time I try to arrange something, the whole water gets cloudy. I may regret this, because I kept reading how EcoComplete doesn't do this like Fluorite does.

Is it okay to put the 6 fish in there now? They've been sitting cold in a cup for hours.

I'll also need to get "algae" scraper, because there are brown residue all over the glass. I did research on this and found on another site that it could be a possible bad bag that someone had stated in the past.

Aye, EcoComplete + real plants is time consuming.

Thunder
Cabomba pulcherrima "Purple Cabomba"

Purple Cabomba is composed of fine, delicate strands of fan shaped, purple and dark green leaves. These plants add interest and beauty to planted tanks, but require intense light and high nutrient levels to remain lush and colored.

Cabomba is an excellent oxygenator for aquariums and ponds. It grows quickly and can also help to keep nutrient and nitrate levels lower.

Well, honestly, I thought Wet Pets would be more knowledgeable, so now I have to deal with something that they told me wrong.

Is it possible that a bulb to be more than 15 watts or I have to get another one along side the one already there? If I have to get another light, the same kind as the one I have or more intense?

Is there a strip for 10gal that can hold 2 lights, or I have to buy another strip to cover the lifting glass top?

The tank is almost clear, I think it is another case of bacteria boom coming from the EcoComplete. As soon that is done, I'll take a crystal clear pix.

The light I have is 15 watts 6,700k over the 10gal.

Thunder
Okay, here some pix of the newest change to the same tank. I added the EcoComplete and all the plants is growing nicely. Just curious about the Purple Cabomba, what is the proper way of trimming them? The banana plant just had a new sprout shoot up and opened.

418.jpg

419.jpg

420.jpg

421.jpg

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom