Glofish?!

Dippiedee

Okay, so, I'm in the UK. England specifically. I keep seeing these bright neon coloured tetras and danios on here, youtube and tiktok and I am so confused? Are these real? Why have I never seen or heard of them before? They look amazing! I saw some neon coloured tiger barbs too, I dont know if I am being tricked by photoshoppers so I post this at the risk of looking like a total idiot haha. If they're real I so desperately want some. I've been to lots of different fish shops both local and far and never seen them before... which is why I'm unsure if this is some kind of trick lol.

FishBoy101

Dippiedee said:
Okay, so, I'm in the UK. England specifically. I keep seeing these bright neon coloured tetras and danios on here, youtube and tiktok and I am so confused? Are these real? Why have I never seen or heard of them before? They look amazing! I saw some neon coloured tiger barbs too, I dont know if I am being tricked by photoshoppers so I post this at the risk of looking like a total idiot haha. If they're real I so desperately want some. I've been to lots of different fish shops both local and far and never seen them before... which is why I'm unsure if this is some kind of trick lol.

I'm talking about these:
They are real.

Dippiedee

Are they just at every pet shop? Or are they rare and only sourceable from certain places? Are they really as brightly coloured as they look? Why are they not in the UK? Are they just like normal variants in terms of care, schools ect? I have so many questions lol

FishBoy101

Dippiedee said:
Are they just at every pet shop? Or are they rare and only sourceable from certain places? Are they really as brightly coloured as they look? Why are they not in the UK? Are they just like normal variants in terms of care, schools ect? I have so many questions lol
I have only seen them in Petcos, they are just like normal fish- needing to school(danios and tetra), and they can mix with normal tetra.(say black skirt tetra and glo-skirt tetra). I they not rare- at all. I have no idea why they aren't in the U.K

Dippiedee

Are the tiger barb glow variants real too? I wonder if they can be imported...

FishBoy101

Dippiedee said:
Are the tiger barb glow variants real too? I wonder if they can be imported...
They are. Heads up- don't use blue lights, that is bad for the fish's eyes, glo-fish can be under normal lights.

Dippiedee

Oh - I've just found a thread that says they're illegal in the UK :/

GlennO

As far as I know they are only legally available in the US and Singapore.

Coradee

Hi, as glofish are genetically modified they’re illegal here in the UK so you won’t see them in our Lfs.

FishGirl115

Around here I see them almost everywhere. Very popular here

Top Bottom