Glofish?!

Dippiedee

Member
Okay, so, I'm in the UK. England specifically. I keep seeing these bright neon coloured tetras and danios on here, youtube and tiktok and I am so confused? Are these real? Why have I never seen or heard of them before? They look amazing! I saw some neon coloured tiger barbs too, I dont know if I am being tricked by photoshoppers so I post this at the risk of looking like a total idiot haha. If they're real I so desperately want some. I've been to lots of different fish shops both local and far and never seen them before... which is why I'm unsure if this is some kind of trick lol.
 

FishBoy101

Member
Dippiedee said:
Okay, so, I'm in the UK. England specifically. I keep seeing these bright neon coloured tetras and danios on here, youtube and tiktok and I am so confused? Are these real? Why have I never seen or heard of them before? They look amazing! I saw some neon coloured tiger barbs too, I dont know if I am being tricked by photoshoppers so I post this at the risk of looking like a total idiot haha. If they're real I so desperately want some. I've been to lots of different fish shops both local and far and never seen them before... which is why I'm unsure if this is some kind of trick lol.

I'm talking about these:
They are real.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dippiedee

Member
Are they just at every pet shop? Or are they rare and only sourceable from certain places? Are they really as brightly coloured as they look? Why are they not in the UK? Are they just like normal variants in terms of care, schools ect? I have so many questions lol
 

FishBoy101

Member
Dippiedee said:
Are they just at every pet shop? Or are they rare and only sourceable from certain places? Are they really as brightly coloured as they look? Why are they not in the UK? Are they just like normal variants in terms of care, schools ect? I have so many questions lol
I have only seen them in Petcos, they are just like normal fish- needing to school(danios and tetra), and they can mix with normal tetra.(say black skirt tetra and glo-skirt tetra). I they not rare- at all. I have no idea why they aren't in the U.K
 
  • Thread Starter

Dippiedee

Member
Are the tiger barb glow variants real too? I wonder if they can be imported...
 

FishBoy101

Member
Dippiedee said:
Are the tiger barb glow variants real too? I wonder if they can be imported...
They are. Heads up- don't use blue lights, that is bad for the fish's eyes, glo-fish can be under normal lights.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dippiedee

Member
Oh - I've just found a thread that says they're illegal in the UK :/
 

GlennO

Member
As far as I know they are only legally available in the US and Singapore.
 
  • Moderator

Coradee

Moderator
Member
Hi, as glofish are genetically modified they’re illegal here in the UK so you won’t see them in our Lfs.
 

FishGirl115

Member
Around here I see them almost everywhere. Very popular here
 

Tetramoon

Member
They're lovely little fish! We've had ours about 6 mos now.
 

yeti79

Member
They also have glo-rainbow sharks (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) I have the danios mixed with their natural counterparts great little fish.
 

Noroomforshoe

Member
Glofish were made in laboratory by adding jelly fish DNA to the DNA of other species. Supoossedlt scientist did this to danios in an effort to track local species of fish. When the experiament tanked, they started selling these fish to petstores, And then the developed glow, tiger barbs, glo rainbow shark, glo skirt tetra, and i think even glow bettas. the adult parents have baby glo fish, there care is the same as regular members of the species, the can even school and mate with regular members of the species.
It is however illegal to sell the fry as the glo fish are pattented.
 

PNWAquatics

Member
I believe they were originally created to detect pollution in water ways. I’m trying to remember my college days, but I think to create a gene that will turn on and off in response to stimuli, you need to turn it on all the time. Glofish are the step between the fish that glow in response to pollution and wild type. I have a few and I love them. They don’t seem very different than the wild type.
 

Bruinfishkeeper1

Member
I'm personally not a huge fan of glofish. I think there cool but I also feel like it's kinda gimicy in the sense that you must have a specific light to function the glo. I prefer natural aquascapes in general so I'm not a huge fan. Although they are pretty cool
 

Oliver T.

Member
Bruinfishkeeper1 said:
I'm personally not a huge fan of glofish. I think there cool but I also feel like it's kinda gimicy in the sense that you must have a specific light to function the glo. I prefer natural aquascapes in general so I'm not a huge fan. Although they are pretty cool
Yeah, they feel as if they were created just to make money and appeal to kids, but I guess thats with all things these days. I think there fascinating and are a great alternative to the much more harmful dying methods that are used to get the same glow in fish
 

Bruinfishkeeper1

Member
Oliver T. said:
Yeah, they feel as if they were created just to make money and appeal to kids, but I guess thats with all things these days. I think there fascinating and are a great alternative to the much more harmful dying methods that are used to get the same glow in fish
Yeah true. And that's why I'm not totally against them. There somewhat ethical. For me I like natural aquascapes so it would be weird to have the pink gravel or blue gravel.
 

Luckyscale2003

Member
Dippiedee said:
Are the tiger barb glow variants real too? I wonder if they can be imported...
just a FYI the people who breed them suck and 50% end up sick because they have low immune systems I have a globetta and shes very sick rn
 

Bruinfishkeeper1

Member
Luckyscale2003 said:
just a FYI the people who breed them suck and 50% end up sick because they have low immune systems I have a globetta and shes very sick rn
Yeah this is true. The DNA line gets weakend due to a poor amount of genetic diversity
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Member
Dippiedee said:
Okay, so, I'm in the UK. England specifically. I keep seeing these bright neon coloured tetras and danios on here, youtube and tiktok and I am so confused? Are these real? Why have I never seen or heard of them before? They look amazing! I saw some neon coloured tiger barbs too, I dont know if I am being tricked by photoshoppers so I post this at the risk of looking like a total idiot haha. If they're real I so desperately want some. I've been to lots of different fish shops both local and far and never seen them before... which is why I'm unsure if this is some kind of trick lol.
Sorry I know this is an old thread but there are some misconceptions in this thread.

While yes, I agree the newer fad of certain fish now being found as glo-fish (bettas, really? ugh) is sad and that it has sunk to such commercialism.

It's important to know the history and science behind the originals. This used to be explained on the official glo-fish site but I can no longer find it.



IMO it's only speculated that they have a weaker immune system when someone's fish got sick. We all know there can be a myriad of reasons for that.
 

Fishfriendof315

Member
Dippiedee said:
Okay, so, I'm in the UK. England specifically. I keep seeing these bright neon coloured tetras and danios on here, youtube and tiktok and I am so confused? Are these real? Why have I never seen or heard of them before? They look amazing! I saw some neon coloured tiger barbs too, I dont know if I am being tricked by photoshoppers so I post this at the risk of looking like a total idiot haha. If they're real I so desperately want some. I've been to lots of different fish shops both local and far and never seen them before... which is why I'm unsure if this is some kind of trick lol.

IMG_20201215_214044807.jpg

I have 3. 2 tetras and a red tail sharkminnow
 

Noroomforshoe

Member
I dont think that selling bioluminescent fish is any more commercialized or aimed at kids then dumbo ear betas, long finned danios, dalmatian, ballon, neon, mollies. Its the too-small glofish aquarium set ups that make me mad. Parrot cichlids , painted tetra, jelly been Parrot cichlids that need to be banned.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom