Glofish

Cassy

Reaction score
I currently have a 35 gallon octangulor tank. I have a school of glofish tetras (6) and one gloshark. I would like to add a school of barbs (6) and a school of danios (5). Potentially this would be 17 glofish and one gloshark. I've heard conflicting things about how to tell how many fish can live peacefully I a tank. Some say the general rule is a inch per gallon other sources say you should multiple gallons by 75% and that will tell you how many fish you could have. The glofish tetras and danios will be a max of 2 inches, the barbs will be a max of 3 inches, and the shark a max of 4 inches. If I were going by the first rule I only have room for two schools and a shark If I go by the other rule I could potentially have four school plus gloshark and be within the limit. I don't want to overwhelm the fish by having to many. I know that they are all potentially friendly tank mates. *The picture is from before I put any fish in when I was prepping the water*

Attachments

Best Answer - View Bry's answer

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The "One inch per gallon" rule is false. A one inch fish could need 20 gallons due to high activity. You really have to look up what type of fish you have to see it's minimum tank size.
Your shark, I believe the minimum is around 20 gallons by itself. The tetras is about 5 gallons per fish, usually about 20 gallons for a school minimum.
To me it looks like you have room for either two schools, or one school and the shark. With enough filtration maybe two schools and a shark or three schools.
The sharks, tetras and barbs are all semi-aggressive and danios are more community. So semi aggressives may one day attack/kill the danios.

OP
C

Cassy

Reaction score
Bry said:
The "One inch per gallon" rule is false. A one inch fish could need 20 gallons due to high activity. You really have to look up what type of fish you have to see it's minimum tank size.
Your shark, I believe the minimum is around 20 gallons by itself. The tetras is about 5 gallons per fish, usually about 20 gallons for a school minimum.
To me it looks like you have room for either two schools, or one school and the shark. With enough filtration maybe two schools and a shark or three schools.
The sharks, tetras and barbs are all semi-aggressive and danios are more community. So semi aggressives may one day attack/kill the danios.
Thank you for your help! The barbs, tetras, danios and the shark all potential need 20 gallons. I already have 6 tetras and the shark but they look a little lonely I have them a month two of them are already about 2 inches the rest are about 1 inch. Do you suggest I add a school of barbs or danios or do you think they would be happier alone? I want them to have a nice little life in there. The barbs look really cool to me but if there aggressive I'd rather get danios. The blue tetra is my only aggressive one out of the 6 and I'd rather not agitate him.

Thank you

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It kind of depends on what you want it to look like. You could do a school of barbs, then everyone is semi-aggressive. Though you could up the tetras to about 12 if you like them.
Danios are community fish and likely would be picked on by anyone else.

OP
C

Cassy

Reaction score
I think I'm going to get the barbs then! Thank you again for your help!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom