GloFish

1. B

Bluegillfreak Valued Member Member

What is everyone's opinion of glofish? I like the way they look but don't know anything about them.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They're genetically modified fish using genes from jellyfish, they were originally produced to test water pollution, danios were the first Glofish® but they found a lucrative market for them & now do barbs & white skirt tetras as well.
    Glofish® protect their trademark vigorously & you're not allowed to intentionally breed or trade them without license.
    Personally I dislike them & luckily we very rarely see them over here in the UK

3. k

klj7678 Valued Member Member

I've heard that the Glofish brand tank kits are actually not suitable for them. They need at least a group of 5 or they get stressed and might nip fins. A 20 gallon tank should be enough to give them the swimming space they need. I think that's the gist of what I gathered from my research. Oh and they look best and glowy under those actinic bulbs used for saltwater but those bulbs can cause lots of algae in freshwater tanks. I'll be getting a school of my own in a few months :]