GloFish

1. jbdub Member Member

So GloFish are illegal in Ireland:;patty(all of Europe I think) and I was wondering if anyone on here has them?

Do they actually glow in the dark!!?? The ones I've seen online look like they came from a nuclear dump site:;tmnt

2. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I don't have them, but I know a lot about them because I almost got glofish. They're zebra danios with a sort of natural phosphorescent substance in them, I think it's like what jellyfish have. Yes, they do really appear to glow in the dark. It stinks that they're banned from Europe... I wonder why they'd do that? Are the invasive species there?

3. jbdub Member Member

Glow in the dark fish that is awesome. Their banned because apparently there's a risk they'll "desimate" local populations. Not sure how thats relevant in Ireland though, hardly tropical water conditions!!!!

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Danios aren't necessarily "tropical" fish. They are considered temperate, like goldfish. This means that they can tolerate a WIDE range of water temperatures. Well, wider than your average tropical fish.

5. BettaBoysGirl Initiate Member

I live in america, and I actually have 7 of these little guys. 2 reds, 2 oranges, 1 yellow/green, 1 purple, and 1 blue. The purple and blue are new, as I've never seen them till a month ago. They dont glow in the dark, but do glow under a black light. It's kinda neat to show it off now and then. However... since I dont think its okay to keep them always under a black light, and not a normal one, the novelty quickly wore off. Nice little shoaling fish though, and touch more colorful then regular zebra danios. My only thing is, the yellow ones (during the day) glow green under a black light. The Purple one glows pink, and the blue glows.. kinda silverish, with a hint of blue. They now actually have a a tetra with the gene introduced, only green available at this time. I forget which species it really is.

6. tankaddict Member Member

I have 5 in a 10 gal. To me, they don't really glow in the dark, but they do have a cool "shining" effect under a blacklight. The Glofish tank is the star attraction for my sister in laws. I even special-made the aquarium safe decorations to "enhance" the beauties.

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

They are a genetically modified Danio. The DNA in the eggs was infused with jellyfish DNA, originally they were going to be used to aid the fight against aquatic pollution. However that failed and they became commonplace tank fish. Unlike many artificially colored fish, these guys are not harmed. They actually breed true to their color. Though, its illegal to breed and market them without permission of the original founders. They dont glow in the dark, they shine in black lights. Which arnt safe long term for fish. However, blue moonlight fixtures seem to have a similar and safer effect. They come in Yellow, orange, pink, purple, green and red. Recently there is a second Glofish made by the Glofish company, its a whiteskirt tetra, currently, they only come in neon greenish yellow. Unfortunately since White skirts are the most commonly dyed fish on the market(Dying is not supported in general on here) it can confuse some.

These fish should be treated like regular danio and white skirts. Danio doing best in a 20gal minimum and white skirts in a 29(jmo).

Sound like a good synopsis?

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's a market for them to capture. Hopefully they displace the dyed ones.....

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed. And you see the dyed ones now being advertised as glos.. yeah. However, i bet my money that a large portion of the dyed fish arrive dead or die soon after, or get returned because they died. SO with the new Glofish, its 5x the color(and it stays forever) and a fraction of the loss. AND these fish give them reason to start marketing new black light tanks and setups. Im sure the dyed fish will be pushed out soon.

10. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had been told the ones sold to the public had been rendered sterile so even if you wanted to breed them, you couldn't?

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Nah, they breed all the time. Ive seen plenty of posts of people who have gotten them to breed. Though, many are sterile.

12. jbdub Member Member

A couple here were caught with about 10 of them and almost got a 50,000 fine!! If you're caught breeding them here its potential jail time.

It's crazy to think you can now have genetically modified fish for aquarium use. Raises all sorts of questions about what we're not being shown. There is so a Sharktopus being developed in a lab somewhere....

13. tankaddict Member Member

Hehe, I don't know, but here they are crossing rattlesnakes with non-venemous to make a non-venomous rattle. Reptile atom bomb is all they made...

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

i think the rattle snake crosses are actually very nice for snake keeping and demonstration. The idea is that now people wont have their fangs removed or venom glands removed, which is stress on the snake. Its also easier to use to show children what not to touch, but not to fear the snake.

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hahaha, they can feel the hurt of the bite without dying :)