Glofish zebra danio, sexing male or female

Petchratn

Please help
I got glofish last Friday.
They are zebra danio with genetic engineering.
They are chasing one another.
I thought I got two female one male but because they are so chasing, I wonder they may be all male.

Shreyawagle

The yellow definitely is a female. Cannot say much about the other two since they are not well fed. Feed them for few days. The female will be fetter once the eggs develop. The male will retain its slender shape.
From the top view though, the pink one looks like a male.
Couldn't get a proper picture but these are how females look like. (Orange and green)
The male is in the 2nd pic (orange)
Irrespective of gender, zebras are going to chase each other. Do not keep just 3. They are schooling fish, so I'll recommend min 6-8. Or they are just going to chase after each other and get exhausted.

Petchratn

Shreyawagle said:
The yellow definitely is a female. Cannot say much about the other two since they are not well fed. Feed them for few days. The female will be fetter once the eggs develop. The male will retain its slender shape.
Couldn't get a proper picture but these are how females look like. (Orange and green)
Irrespective of gender, zebras are going to chase each other. Do not keep just 3. They are schooling fish, so I'll recommend min 6-8. Or they are just going to chase after each other and get exhausted.
Thank you so much.
And is that true??? Don’t put snail in, because snail will eat eggs.
I put pond zyme with bay leaves as natural bacteria since Lack of snails.
I am feeding them live microworm (since I have for my guppies). I got these glofish last Friday, I intend to get only 4 more (buy 3 get 1 free) this Friday and will move to bigger tank. My 6 years old son want more, they are quiet expensive to me, I’d let him pick 4 more, hope they will have some babies, my 6 years old complained why mommy has so much guppies and I only have 4.

MissNoodle

They will eat their own eggs even.

Its hard to tell from yours, as they are a bit thin.

Heres couple of mine... these two in the bag are boys.

20191116_183453.jpg

Then these porkers are all very gravid females.

20191113_181418.jpg

You could get plain zebra danios, theyre the same species and will school together. I got 11 of them. Theyre fun fish in big groups, plus having more lowers their nipping level.

Shreyawagle

In my country we get pink, blue and light yellow colour real cheap. Check out if it's the same case in your area. The other colours are rare and expensive.
If you want to breed them you can once they become fat. They will breed true and you will have more. You just have to take the adults out after they are done spawning. They are extremely easy to breed and take care of. Check out the link I posted if you decide to breed.

Petchratn

MissNoodle said:
They will eat their own eggs even.

Its hard to tell from yours, as they are a bit thin.

Heres couple of mine... these two in the bag are boys.

20191116_183453.jpg

Then these porkers are all very gravid females.

20191113_181418.jpg

You could get plain zebra danios, theyre the same species and will school together. I got 11 of them. Theyre fun fish in big groups, plus having more lowers their nipping level.
They still school and mate together??? Wow, I never think about that! Thank you, and thank you for pictures of the boys.

Petchratn said:
They still school and mate together??? Wow, I never think about that! Thank you, and thank you for pictures of the boys.
I live in Maryland in USA. It cost $5.99 a fish, and we also have glofish barb and tetra at $8.99. I lived in Thailand before and fish are more varieties and affordable.
I bought fish in local store; Petsmart they are on sale like buying 3 get 1 free. I do believe selling animal has to have some certain permission here.

FinalFins

For the future, please don't put live fish on a plate I understand they are fast and hard to take pics of.

Males are slender and more streamlined and females are chubbier.

MissNoodle

... am I the only one looking at $8.99 for the glo danios??? $14 for longfin gloskirts lol

Its cheaper to buy the regular danios. $2 each for me. If you are not wanting to pay more but still meet their schooling needs, definitely go with the cheaper regulars. Or for even a few bucks more they got some longfin ones too and theyre really pretty

Joker77

MissNoodle said:
... am I the only one looking at $8.99 for the glo danios??? $14 for longfin gloskirts lol

Its cheaper to buy the regular danios. $2 each for me. If you are not wanting to pay more but still meet their schooling needs, definitely go with the cheaper regulars. Or for even a few bucks more they got some longfin ones too and theyre really pretty
Ya since there is only one source for the fish and the're patented they have set a minimum price for the line of fish.

The orange glo danio's are the only ones worth buying the rest hardly even glow so their basically colored fish.
The red,green, and orange tetras glow real well though.

I've got 2 glo danios with an assortment of other danios and they all get along fine. (longfind,pearl,glowlight,zebra)

I may be wrong but I thought the glofish we buy at stores are sterile to prevent people from breeding and selling their patented product?

Petchratn

MissNoodle said:

So usually my son was begging me for these fish, he still said he wants the glofish danio not regular one. And it turned out 4 days full now, I think they all are females, Petsmart probably rarely feed them, I fed them 3 meals a day, theirs belly started to show the curve. One of seen having eggs inside, belly so thick which is the yellow one. I probably have to tell my son you can pick any color mommy pick the torpedo shapes hope to be male ones

7C03AF78-B3C3-4BE4-B84A-AFBD094A2C38.jpeg

2DE5CE73-BF17-4DE0-973C-207E769D8037.jpeg

26AA4810-57CC-4AC0-B569-AFFBE3BA96CD.jpeg

BB33885E-5015-45D3-BDC2-681514A74C89.jpeg

B069037B-E208-401B-8996-3D417084045C.jpeg

A86B0EEB-5A32-4F3D-84F3-D3F301EA09E3.jpeg

2071348D-9E0E-441E-A186-83A5B56B8000.jpeg

Shreyawagle said:

1D001410-8D88-4932-A789-D093D803275C.jpeg

B4346F3E-38D2-42BC-B0DE-C7DC270BC9F7.jpeg

2A724570-96F4-40FF-8E06-D8049149016E.jpeg

107E55CF-81B6-4164-AE61-57FDCB9653CB.jpeg

I think they probably are all female after feeding today is the 4th day, theirs belly pop out like female shape, one of 4 even look like have eggs. Usually the yellow one that you told me, so I guessed fish store not really feed them.

MissNoodle

This one looks male to me.

Screenshot_20191119-192825_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191119-192756_Samsung Internet.jpg

After this id feed once a day with a fasting day in between once a week. Danios are pigs and will snap up so much at once. Mine even go nuts for handmade gel food (gelatin with cooked veggies and mealworms).

FinalFins

Joker77 said:
I may be wrong but I thought the glofish we buy at stores are sterile to prevent people from breeding and selling their patented product?
I belive you can breed them, you just can't sell them for self-profit.

Petchratn

MissNoodle said:
This one looks male to me.

Screenshot_20191119-192825_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191119-192756_Samsung Internet.jpg

After this id feed once a day with a fasting day in between once a week. Danios are pigs and will snap up so much at once. Mine even go nuts for handmade gel food (gelatin with cooked veggies and mealworms).
Gggggg!!! I am still far from expert but the thin yellow one just came yesterday. So that is the picture I took immediately after brought him or her home, not sure will be fat up after taking care all not, I’ll keep posting, I think my thread may be useful for others. I am still thinking about what live food I should feed them. I am so new into this. I ordered daphnia and fairy shrimp eggs in capsules from Thailand thru eBay.com, but no luck it has been almost 2 month and they do not arrive yet . May be I have to order from amazon.
Thank you for kind answers.

Joker77

Mine seem to really like the frozen cubes of bloodworms but they are pretty fatty so they only get fed that about twice a week. Otherwise they get flake food in the mornings and bug bites in the evenings.

Of the 9 danios I have I think only 2 are male. I think its because they generally try and catch the biggest fish for you at the store and since the females are larger your likelyhood of getting a female is greater.

MissNoodle

Petchratn said:
Gggggg!!! I am still far from expert but the thin yellow one just came yesterday. So that is the picture I took immediately after brought him or her home, not sure will be fat up after taking care all not, I’ll keep posting, I think my thread may be useful for others. I am still thinking about what live food I should feed them. I am so new into this. I ordered daphnia and fairy shrimp eggs in capsules from Thailand thru eBay.com, but no luck it has been almost 2 month and they do not arrive yet . May be I have to order from amazon.
Thank you for kind answers.
Zebra danios are omnivores and some vegetable foods are good to offer too. If you can get them to try algae wafers, or add some additional kelp flakes into their diet itd be good for them too. Keep live foods or frozen foods for once a week or twice a week. Mine go bonkers for frozen blood worm, they will even eat it out of my hands.

I have mine in a tank of both carnivores and herbivores so they get whatever the others get too.

I feed flakes, bug bite pellets, betta pellets, algae wafers, frozen blood worm, homemade gel food (using zucchini, broccoli, garlic, spinach, and mealworms), shrimp pellets, steamed zucchini, steamed broccoli.

I have 11 and only 3 are boys. First time I went I asked for 8 and they just used the water cup to scoop a random 8... ALL were girls lol. Like what are the odds. Each time ive gone for a boy after id have the poor store worker have to chase the ONE that only I can tell is a boy because the workers don't know how to sex them either. I'm the pain in the butt customer haha.

Xiphophorus

MissNoodle said:
Zebra danios are omnivores and some vegetable foods are good to offer too. If you can get them to try algae wafers, or add some additional kelp flakes into their diet itd be good for them too. Keep live foods or frozen foods for once a week or twice a week. Mine go bonkers for frozen blood worm, they will even eat it out of my hands.

I have mine in a tank of both carnivores and herbivores so they get whatever the others get too.

I feed flakes, bug bite pellets, betta pellets, algae wafers, frozen blood worm, homemade gel food (using zucchini, broccoli, garlic, spinach, and mealworms), shrimp pellets, steamed zucchini, steamed broccoli.

I have 11 and only 3 are boys. First time I went I asked for 8 and they just used the water cup to scoop a random 8... ALL were girls lol. Like what are the odds. Each time ive gone for a boy after id have the poor store worker have to chase the ONE that only I can tell is a boy because the workers don't know how to sex them either. I'm the pain in the butt customer haha.
Yeah, that happens to me all the time Lol. I always feel bad for making them chase that one really good fish, It makes me feel heartless.

Petchratn

MissNoodle said:

Same thing happen here, Petsmart workers claimed do not know what gender they are, for all the glofish (zebra danio, barb, tetra).
Wow, I copied your answer to put in the note for what I can feed them. I already have algae wafer once I try to raise cherry shrimp but since it won’t get along with my guppies, I passed them on eBay with some minor loss. I don’t want my guppy to eat them.

From the store website, it said

Breeding
Adult males have fine red lines running the length of their body between the thicker blue lines, and golden high lights. Adult females have silvery high lights to their bodies.”
I can see red line but nope I couldn’t tell gold or silvery highlights are on them, almost like they do change depend on angle?????

Danio Glofish | fish Goldfish, Betta & More

The fatter yellow, pink and blue have been fed with high protein flake one a day and microworm twice a day for 5 days. Then the thin yellow it just live with me for one day and in person the yellow color is paler (I think male should be more colorful, or may not be the same as guppies .
They are swimming so fast in person, faster than guppies. I do have 9 males bettas no female, the store worker even swear it’s ok to put male betta with them in bigger tank. I’d not try though. I have fews more pics and I’ll keep updated, I think it could be useful for someone. (I have 9 male bettas tank, guppies tank, danio tank. In USA used aquarium is very affordable or even free, if I can find one more good size tank, I want cherry shrimps.)

More picture for the one that live with me for only 1 day full day. My local Petsmart ran out of them, I still wait for new shipment.
I wonder that they are so skinny because might be starving for traveling purposes, less food less poop, less ammonia. May be???

8F166CB3-3299-487E-89F4-1892EC6788BE.jpeg

C40D2625-C1BA-4DEB-A022-293C7BC99850.jpeg

2880EC42-4295-40F3-8EED-92265802B284.jpeg

MissNoodle

The new photos look nice and healthy. I'm thinking that one is a nice male there.

Id add some more plants (live or fake) as danios love having them around too.
They are very fast and active fish. They aren't as colourful or flashy as other kinds of fish, but theyre so much fun with how much activity they add to a tank and how theyre not afraid of much. I like them way better than my tetras (dont tell them that lol).

In the glofish danios you won't be able to sex them with colour like you could with the natural coloured ones, you need to rely on shape. Ideally though you want more females than males as males can be more nippy (not by much)

Some of my girls are pretty golden toned, just as much as my boys. Body shape is more accurate.
Girl

20191003_064658.jpg

Boy (longfin variety)

20191009_124542.jpg

I wouldnt put cherry shrimp with danios as danios will probably eat them lol if you want cherry shrimp, you could do a nice shrimp only tank with lots of plants. Only shrimp friendly fish out there are otocinclus, but be sure the tank is really mature (set up longer than 6 months) before adding them. But the tank should be 20 gallon for otos.

You could simply keep a 3 gallon tank for just cherry shrimp

Petchratn

MissNoodle said:
The new photos look nice and healthy. I'm thinking that one is a nice male there.

Id add some more plants (live or fake) as danios love having them around too.
They are very fast and active fish. They aren't as colourful or flashy as other kinds of fish, but theyre so much fun with how much activity they add to a tank and how theyre not afraid of much. I like them way better than my tetras (dont tell them that lol).

In the glofish danios you won't be able to sex them with colour like you could with the natural coloured ones, you need to rely on shape. Ideally though you want more females than males as males can be more nippy (not by much)

Some of my girls are pretty golden toned, just as much as my boys. Body shape is more accurate.
Girl

20191003_064658.jpg

Boy (longfin variety)

20191009_124542.jpg

I wouldnt put cherry shrimp with danios as danios will probably eat them lol if you want cherry shrimp, you could do a nice shrimp only tank with lots of plants. Only shrimp friendly fish out there are otocinclus, but be sure the tank is really mature (set up longer than 6 months) before adding them. But the tank should be 20 gallon for otos.

You could simply keep a 3 gallon tank for just cherry shrimp
3 gallon??? If that I already have.
thank you for picture of the boy, your danio long tails are gorgeous.
I plan to put plants but I still worried about snail, I saw a local sellers have snail in plants, thinking to see other stores. I try to have this tank to be snail free. My 2 other tanks are full of snails

Will cherry shrimp eat otocinclus eggs though?? I never see otocinclus, just google now, they are super cute looking, too.

MissNoodle

Petchratn said:
3 gallon??? If that I already have.
thank you for picture of the boy, your danio long tails are gorgeous.
I plan to put plants but I still worried about snail, I saw a local sellers have snail in plants, thinking to see other stores. I try to have this tank to be snail free. My 2 other tanks are full of snails
Petchratn said:
Will cherry shrimp eat otocinclus eggs though?? I never see otocinclus, just google now, they are super cute looking, too.
They may eat eggs I'm not sure on that one, but otos I don't think are really easy to breed in captivity anyways. I'm sure they could even eat their own eggs like most fish do.

As for plants to be snail free... you can quarantine new plants for some time, use a bleach dip to clean them too... its hard to avoid snails lol

FinalFins

Otos are hard to breed. Some people have done it successfully but it can be hard. It is a challenge just to get them to live the first couple months in a tank...

Petchratn

I got more 4 more fish today and I felt like I know most of them gender (I have 8, I think I know 6 of them pretty sure)

These are I am pretty much sure.
I have 3 yellow- 2 female yellows and 1 male yellow (fy1,fy2 and my)
I have 2 pink-2 female pinks (fp1,fp2)
I have 1 red-1 male red (mr)

Now 2 that I am not sure
I have 1 blue-1female blue (fb)
I have 1 green(look like pale blue)-1 female green (fg)

I hope this thread will be useful, I feel thankful for every answers and pictures, you are so kind to me and other people that will be seeing this thread. I temporary put them in plastic because I added snail and I will not allow the snail in the breeding tank. please don’t come with me when I think they are ready to breed

The petco worker said I should feed them only once a day I will reduced. Usually I fed 1 flake meal plus 1-3 times microworm. She said no no no, that’s too much, pick one and once a day.

MissNoodle

Once a day is good, or 2 small meals a day. Just alternate what you feed every day.

Could do a small pinch of flakes in the morning and live in the evening

The two you aren't sure on are both girls

Petchratn

MissNoodle said:
Once a day is good, or 2 small meals a day. Just alternate what you feed every day.

Thank you.

Petchratn

MissNoodle said:

Petchratn said:
Please help
I thought I got two female one male but because they are so chasing, I wonder they may be all male.
I have to separate the boys out today since they both go crazy after the plum pink. Not aggressive but like try to mate, they aren’t in breeding tank, I want to wait for at least two weeks for all of them to be well fed before mating.
Petchratn said:
Please help
These both were separated from female since they want to mate so badly with pink plum one, I want to wait till they all well fed befor move to breeding tank, I prefer them to breed same time. Since I have 6 females 2 males.

F573F180-DBAE-49EF-9397-7C306024D1E8.jpeg

25BE6786-A22E-48D6-8102-9BC8BDE71654.jpeg

MissNoodle

Theyd be fine, any eggs laid right now anyways would be eaten. Id let them stay together as itll stress the separated ones out being out of a school

Petchratn

MissNoodle said:
Theyd be fine, any eggs laid right now anyways would be eaten. Id let them stay together as itll stress the separated ones out being out of a school
Oh! So I should keep them together.
Thank you, I’ll do after dinner.

MissNoodle

Yeah ideally if you want surviving fry you need to separate the pair to spawn in a different tank, then remove the pair after eggs are laid. Otherwise all eggs and fry get eaten quick.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom