GloFish, your thoughts?

Tetraman124

Hey I just thought this would be a good thread and was wondering what y’all thought about GloFish I think I might know what you guys will say

BigManAquatics

I don't care for them, but they do seem to get people into the hobby, which is never a totally bad thing.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

In addition to what Betta'sAnonymous said, there's lots of misconceptions about them. There's no cruelty in the process so I have no problem with them. I don't agree with the business practices of the company, but the fish themselves aren't an issue for me.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

They don't go in to my tanks, but i am sure if my wife wanted them bad enough instead of platies i would get her some. Probably the kids too, but they have a long history of not even taking care of their clothes so they aren't allowed to take care of living stuff.

Upvote 0

JayAlva

Got my daughter a bunch 4 years ago she lost interest and these guys have been refugees in all my different tear downs. I got them now with my discus and they've been good dither fish. They're quirky in there but I've grown fond of them.

20210419_074736.jpg

Upvote 0

Tetraman124

They don't go in to my tanks, but i am sure if my wife wanted them bad enough instead of platies i would get her some. Probably the kids too, but they have a long history of not even taking care of their clothes so they aren't allowed to take care of living stuff.
That’s funny I can relate

Got my daughter a bunch 4 years ago she lost interest and these guys have been refugees in all my different tear downs. I got them now with my discus and they've been good dither fish. They're quirky in there but I've grown fond of them.

20210419_074736.jpg
That actually looks cool and the discus are Beautiful

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I mean, if people want to have them and take care of them, it certainly doesn't affect me none. Everyone has their own tastes in fish!

Upvote 0

PurpleReign19

They arent hurt in the process of making them so it doesnt bother me. They were actually originally created to glow when the came in contact with pollution in water! I personally think they look very unnatural but I dont have any problems with them other than looks.

Upvote 0

fallfever

I think the fish are just fine, it's the colored gravel and glowing fake plants that annoy me. Any way to talk you out of that

Upvote 0

Ouse

The genetic modification of Glofish weakens them and shortens their lifespan. Their appearance often convinces people to stock them in tanks with complementary glow-in-the-dark decorations, which is not a good thing. It’s ambiguous wether the fish glowing causes stress or not.

Upvote 0

Lucy

I keep seeing posts about about their lifespans are shortened and how they are weaker.
Is there some where I can read about this? Anything I have read between zebra danios life span and (danio) glofish seem to be the same.

Granted these are usually hobbyists generated care sheets but I'd honestly like to know where that info originated.
Aren't they both around 3 to 5 years

Upvote 0

FishDin

I'm not a fan of the look, but I can say that about some non glofish too. I wouldn't get any, but if they were foisted on me I would care for them like any other fish.

Just curiuos, does anyone know how many species this is being done with. The local Petco has danios and a tetra, I think black skirt. A glowing oscar would get peoples attention!

Upvote 0

Ouse

I keep seeing posts about about their lifespans are shortened and how they are weaker.
Is there some where I can read about this? Anything I have read between zebra danios life span and glofish seem to be the same.

Granted these are usually hobbyists generated care sheets but I'd honestly like to know where that info originated.
Aren't they both around 3 to 5 years
Actually, you raise a good point. On the forum I've heard GloFish are weakened by their genetic modification countless times. Might be the case or it might not be, come to think of it. Perhaps people are quick to assume all genetically modified fish are weaker than their standard counterparts.

-----------‐---------------------------------------------------------

Whatever the case, the altered colour of GloFish often encourages hobbyists to put them in the most unnatural, colourful setups often with glowing GloFish decor. I can't imagine it's nice for the fish; more like an inescapable, endless rave party. I could call this an immoral attempt at marketing.

I feel there are still hefty negatives even if the lifespan of the fish isn't changed. Perhaps people think GloFish are weakened because of the way they're often kept; they're especially subjected to mistreatment.

Also, I didn't mention this before, but there's such a thing as "GloFish sharks," which are simply red tail sharks in GloFish form. Keeping red tail sharks with the other GloFish species is a recipe for disaster, although many feel the need to keep them with the other species of GloFish anyway.

Upvote 0

Coradee

Also, I didn't mention this before, but there's such a thing as "GloFish sharks," which are simply red tail sharks. Keeping red tail sharks with the other GloFish species is a recipe for disaster, although many feel the need to keep them with the other species of GloFish anyway.

Why would keeping a glofish shark with glofish tetra be a disaster? Rainbow sharks & white skirt tetras (which are the base for the glofish variety) are often kept together with no issues.
I see a lot of sweeping statements about glofish most not wholly accurate, I think we should remember the base species & be more specific when offering advice about them.

As to my opinion on glofish, I’m ambivalent as we can’t have them here.

Upvote 1

86 ssinit

The genetic modification of Glofish weakens them and shortens their lifespan. Their appearance often convinces people to stock them in tanks with complementary glow-in-the-dark decorations, which is not a good thing. It’s ambiguous wether the fish glowing causes stress or not.
My glofish is about 5+ yrs old :). Well it’s my wife’s :). We had 2 but one passed a few yrs back. Bright pink!! Hated them at first but not anymore. Think JayAlva has made the most of them and found a great dither fish for discus! They’re just colored tetras in the end.

Upvote 1

Ouse

I wouldn't be surprised if someone got a, let's say, 20 gallon aquarium of GloFish tetras and/or GloFish danios and decided to top it off with a bottom feeder, that being a GloFish shark. People will want to keep GloFish tetras with the GloFish sharks and tiger barbs, for example.

Red tail sharks are territorial fish and there's such a thing as GloFish decorations, which is what many use along with their GloFish to make a glowing themed aquarium. The extent of these decorations is chunky glowing gravel, plastic bushes and corals, which don't allow the shark to create borders for territory. In cases like this the shark will make it's territory as large as the tank and will lash out on tankmates. Whenever a red tail shark gets along with it's tankmates it's because the setup allows it to discern it's own territory, which involves using lots of driftwood, rocks and plants as borders, as with any territorial fish such as most cichlids.

I've said this already, but such glowing decorations are less than natural and likely a stress factor. Some fish see in infrared, so the glowing theme of GloFish products must be perpetually blinding to them.

GloFish is a brand. I'm not referring to just one specific GloFish species, but the GloFish brand in general. The way GloFish markets it's products will often lead to situations where the GloFish don't do as well as their optimal. Of course, there are people out there who treat them like any regular fish, but many will be captivated by a glowing themed tank.
My glofish is about 5+ yrs old :). Well it’s my wife’s :). We had 2 but one passed a few yrs back. Bright pink!! Hated them at first but not anymore. Think JayAlva has made the most of them and found a great dither fish for discus! They’re just colored tetras in the end.
This is good to hear. I'm now 100% certain people only think they have shortened lifespans because of what they're usually kept in. Several people have disproved the theory.

I prefer the GloFish's regular counterparts, but is all just my opinion after all. It's illegal for me to own them anyway given my location, so I couldn't try them out even if I wanted to. :(

Upvote 1

Coradee

Oh boy, you’re confusing me ... (yes I know it isn’t that hard) you keep going backwards & forwards changing your mind on your opinion so I have no idea where you stand now..which is probably moot anyway as we can’t have them in the uk.
Sorry Op, :)

Upvote 0

A201

Over time, I've noticed a disproportionate amount of adverse Glo fish health complaints.
It seems the majority of Glo fish posters are novice fishkeepers.
That in itself is probably a big contributor to a shortened life. Lol.
I'm not a fan of the Glo fish business model. IMO, they target beginners with wildly over priced genetically enhanced fish & glo decor.
Let's face it, the standard variety of Skirt Tetra is usually $1.25 - $1.99 a piece A Glo Skirt Tetra is $9.00.
Value is relative & if one wants to blow $75 on a group of neon Skirt Tetras, that's their business. IMO
not worth it.

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

I have a few glofish. Have had 4 of them now 2 years. I since added a couple more recently, extras from a batch I bought and quarantined for my father in law. Anywho, I find them lovely in a natural planted tank. Yes I did get them to get my kiddos interested. Yes it worked.

And side note, they do breed. I am currently raising a few fry. They show colors after just 4-5 days, although pink is the main color, and the others look like yellow, maybe green. They are pale, so time will tell what actual colors they will be.

Attachments

• 20210708_140844_exported_16334.jpg
    20210708_140844_exported_16334.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 1

Ouse

Oh boy, you’re confusing me ... (yes I know it isn’t that hard) you keep going backwards & forwards changing your mind on your opinion so I have no idea where you stand now..
I only changed my perspective on their lifespan, that's all. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In short (well, as short as I can make it), GloFish markets it's products awfully, particularly for novices. I wouldn't advise keeping fish in a tank with GloFish decorations, especially fish with infrared vision. Their decor is also not suitable for the GloFish sharks to make territories as it's all just luminous plastic bushes and whatnot, rather than actual line of sight breakers, but many will still add the sharks to a GloFish themed aquarium regardless. The tetras and danios are ok, but still subjected to misuse and unnatural conditions.

A201 raised a good point regarding the overpricing of GloFish. This is new information to me. Keeping fish in a more beneficial, natural setup is cheaper and better.

This is purely my own opinion, but I'm not drawn in by the glowing effect of the fish. It's too bright for my personal liking.

I'll stop now. :)

Upvote 0

MacZ

I am pretty sure the thing with GloFish and lifespan is a matter of correlation and not causation.

It's evident, that most GloFish are sold to beginners, often with little to no knowledge in fishkeeping and even less regard for these fish being living beings. Very often the reactions of owners of these fish when being informed about the quality of their husbandry, makes this very clear. Accordingly the losses are high. The small size of the brand-tanks is contributing to this as well.

It is common knowledge that genetically modified organisms tend to have shortened lifespans. It's not guaranteed, but often the case.

Additionally, as GloFish are also obviously based on leucistic and albinotic specimens that had the glow-genes implanted, this can also have influence. Leucistic and albinotic organisms have naturally shorter lifespans and worse health than their normal coloured conspecifics.

My best guess is the reality lies inbetween. An animal with at least a high likelihood of an impaired immunesystem kept in sub-par conditions is not to be expected to reach a normal lifespan.

Mind you all, this is mostly deduction from observation and basic biology knowledge, not evidenced by numbers.
I would be really surprised if GloFish/Tetra(C) would like to see such a study being made. Well, unless they pay for it themselves. :D

Upvote 0

Ouse

Alas, my opinion on GloFish lifespan has changed, yet again... :facepalm:

Upvote 0

MacZ

Alas, my opinion on GloFish lifespan has changed, yet again... :facepalm:

That's called learning and life-experience. Get used to it. :D

Upvote 0

St3v3

Hey I just thought this would be a good thread and was wondering what y’all thought about GloFish I think I might know what you guys will say
The fish themselves seem ok. The tanks they sell for them on the otherhand are a bit on the small side

Upvote 0

Ouse

The small tanks could be combated simply by using a bigger tank from another brand, but this is obviously another reason why GloFish is so bad at marketing...

I'll come back to the GloFish sharks (again...) for a second. They're not made for small tanks, yet GloFish expects them to be kept in them.

I once watched a video of someone setting a GloFish tank up just how GloFish expects people to. It was only around 15 gallons, scaped with only GloFish decorations and housed every species of GloFish at once.

Upvote 0

St3v3

The small tanks could be combated simply by using a bigger tank from another brand, but this is obviously another reason why GloFish is so bad at marketing...

I'll come back to the GloFish sharks (again...) for a second. They're not made for small tanks, yet GloFish expects them to be kept in them.

I once watched a video of someone setting a GloFish tank up just how GloFish expects people to. It was only around 15 gallons, scaped with only GloFish decorations and housed every species of GloFish at once.
Wait how many species of glofish are there?

Upvote 0

Ouse

Wait how many species of glofish are there?
There are the black and white skirt tetras, zebra danios, tiger barbs, red tail sharks and bettas as far as I'm aware. Might be forgetting some. I'd recommend a 20 gallon at the minimum just for tetras and danios.

The guy in the video didn't use bettas but he used all the rest.

Upvote 0

St3v3

There are the black and white skirt tetras, zebra danios, tiger barbs, red tail sharks and bettas as far as I'm aware. Might be forgetting some. I'd recommend a 20 gallon at the minimum for the tetras and danios.

Probably for the better cuz I don't think bettas and tigerbarbs would workout

Upvote 0

MacZ

There are the black and white skirt tetras, zebra danios, tiger barbs, red tail sharks and bettas as far as I'm aware. Might be forgetting some. I'd recommend a 20 gallon at the minimum for the tetras and danios.

Black and white skirt tetras are the same species. Otherwise correctly listed.

Tiger barbs should be kept in sufficiently big groups (10-15) in tanks bigger than 20 gallon. Otherwise they kill each other off one by one, and people end up with 1-2 monster barbs after 1-2 years.
The sharks would be best kept in a group in a really big tank. 6-8 specimens in 400l or bigger.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Probably for the better cuz I don't think bettas and tigerbarbs would workout
I think GloFish makes 5 gallon tanks specifically for their bettas. I saw that in another video. The fluorescence of the fish and decor and the tank light amplifying the fluorescence must have been stressful to the fish.

So I would just go with a more natural tank for the GloFish. GloFish products are wildly overpriced and setting up a small, bright and glowing aquarium at a far higher cost than a natural, more livable one doesn't seem to be the way to go.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

I'm not a fan of the look, but I can say that about some non glofish too. I wouldn't get any, but if they were foisted on me I would care for them like any other fish.

Just curiuos, does anyone know how many species this is being done with. The local Petco has danios and a tetra, I think black skirt. A glowing oscar would get peoples attention!
I've seen pics of glo angels, most commonly kept fish have a glo version.
I've said this already, but such glowing decorations are less than natural and likely a stress factor. Some fish see in infrared, so the glowing theme of GloFish products must be perpetually blinding to them.
You need to remember fish take things in differently than humans, and no matter how natural we make it, it will never co.pare to regular wild. And we don't know if they respond differently to these environments.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone got a, let's say, 20 gallon aquarium of GloFish tetras and/or GloFish danios and decided to top it off with a bottom feeder, that being a GloFish shark. People will want to keep GloFish tetras with the GloFish sharks and tiger barbs, for example.
Well this can happen with any fish, people often get "sharks" in that size because of their name, but does not mean we boycott them.

I always thought they were genetically impaired, but I have seen no actual proof of this.

Upvote 0

Ouse

I've seen pics of glo angels, most commonly kept fish have a glo version.
Forgot about those. :D I've seen pictures of the pink ones.
You need to remember fish take things in differently than humans, and no matter how natural we make it, it will never co.pare to regular wild. And we don't know if they respond differently to these environments.
The closer to natural the better. I doubt any animal will enjoy the constant, inescapable sight of bright luminous bushes and gravel. Fish usually react worse to the sight of such setups than humans.
Well this can happen with any fish, people often get "sharks" in that size because of their name, but does not mean we boycott them.
Many people will want to keep several GloFish species together in a glowing themed tank and the sharks are the most common bottom dwelling GloFish, meaning they're liekly being incorporated. It's unfortunate they're labelled as "sharks" because people will be drawn to that without second thought, but a "glowing shark?" People will want that!

Unless someone has an adequate setup for a fish, we should discourage them from keeping them. GloFish sharks would be great in a tank of several hundreds of litres, but not a 15 gallon GloFish themed tank.
I always thought they were genetically impaired, but I have seen no actual proof of this.
GloFish can live prolonged lives if cared for well, same as their regular counterparts. They aren't modified in very harmful ways anyway.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I am aganist the gravel, decor, and blue/black lights, but, as a fish, I'm alright with them. Turns out their are glo axolotls. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

The closer to natural the better. I doubt any animal will enjoy the constant, inescapable sight of bright luminous bushes and gravel. Fish usually react worse to the sight of such setups than humans.
I haven't really seen the science of that, obviously they'll be more comfortable in their wild habitat. But I haven't seen the science whether they don't like bright colors. If you do have an article I would totally except this then, but I just want a little science behind it.

Though personally I prefer a planted tank or a more natural setup, I know some like the. Colors.

Also, do you not like the company or the fish and the company?

Upvote 0

yeti79

I keep a mixed group of Brachydanio rerio including the glo variants. Originally wanted leopard variant but none to be found at reasonable price. Was excited to recently acquire a red glo leopard variant on trip to pet store. They still look great with normal lighting in my opinion. Love how I am able to tell most of a group of 28 danios apart due to the variations in patterns. Originally kept in 20 tall but now in a 55 after adding to the group.
The part I dislike about GloFish is the aquariums they sell are too small for the fish they sell. The largest is a 20! Would like to see larger sizes such as 55/75/90 sold by them. If not that smaller fish fit for the aquariums they sell.
Betta, Zebra danio, Tiger barb, Black skirt tetra and Rainbow sharks are the natural variants of the glofish available.

Upvote 0

Ouse

I've heard black lights can be dangerous, although I can't remember why this is.

The GloFish I previously listed are only the usuals, but there seems to be a Glo everything! :eek:

Axolotls are of course coldwater amphibians. Unfortunately most shops (primarily in the US) have a separate area for GloFish from all the other stock, thus many people won't know to distinguish the coldwater Glo axolots from the tropical GloFish.
I haven't really seen the science of that, obviously they'll be more comfortable in their wild habitat. But I haven't seen the science whether they don't like bright colors. If you do have an article I would totally except this then, but I just want a little science behind it.

Though personally I prefer a planted tank or a more natural setup, I know some like the. Colors.
It's really as simple as the fish would prefer a natural looking environment.

Fish that see in infrared vision will see only (bright) reds and yellows because of the brightness of the surroundings. Cichlids such as the Glo angels will be affected as cichlids use infrared vision to see. It will likely bother fish that don't see in infrared too, as they too can't experience true dark periods with the glowing scape.

With only glowing plastic bushes and corals, a GloFish themed tank provides no security for the fish.

The owners might be captivated by a glowing themed aquarium, but the fish will certainly not be.
Also, do you not like the company or the fish and the company?
The fish the company produces are alright, not much different from the regular counterparts, but that's ok. However, GloFish tanks and decor are sub-par and from what's been heard the company charges far too much for it's products. You could either spend money on a cosy, natural setup and still have money left, or spend money on a impractical GloFish setup and lose all of your money. People trying to keep GloFish tetras with GloFish tiger barbs in smaller setups is seen too often...

We've thoroughly discussed GloFish's marketing issues.

Upvote 0

Lucy

The genetic modification of Glofish weakens them and shortens their lifespan.
GloFish can live prolonged lives if cared for well, same as their regular counterparts. They aren't modified in very harmful ways anyway.

This thread took so many turns I got lost! haha.

I found this a little nauseating US Patent Application for TRANSGENIC RAINBOW SHARK Patent Application (Application #20210051927 issued February 25, 2021) - Justia Patents Search

I don't really have an issue with the originals, how and and why the were created nor do I take issue with anyone who owns glo-fish.
I also understand that the gene is now passed on to new generations but to actually read the patent info. Yech.
Made me feel a bit slimy. haha

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

My kids ignore glofish in the stores the same way they ignore all the other fish. They only notice the BIG fish, and that's because they are scared of those lol! And that would be the only reason why i would get glo-fish. Plecos, on the other hand, the kids and the cats like watching plecos!

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I dislike them more thank I like them. I can't stand the neon colors, they are unapealing to me. What I totally don't like, are glo bettas,

Upvote 0

Lucy

This may seem contradicting but I can totally see the appeal of glo-fish with, florescent decorations, black light, the whole GLO experience in the right setting.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Analisemcg
  • Question
Replies
Views
veggieshark
  • Question
Replies
Views