Glofish with Guppies

Betta_dude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You already hve the guppys right? Im not sure about that, but Ive never seen my danios chase any other fish. If you don't have the guppys yet, then common guppys should be alright. Those are feeder guppys, but the males are rather pretty. Pluse they don't have long fins. All in all, they're just like fancy guppys.

ABCDemily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Generally, I think danios are zippy and speedy, but not nippy. And as guppies also like to move fast, then they shouldn't be too phased by the fast moving Glo-Fish.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have never had any problems with my glo fish nipping any of my other fishes tails and i have had small angels with glofish

ABCDemily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Goldfish like cool water. Glofish are tropical. Glofish are danios that have "jellyfish juice" in them, I don't know the proper terminology.
They extracted genes from a jelly fish that causes bio-luminescense, then they add that to a chromosome within a zebra danio's egg, then replace it within the womb, then the egg gets laid, with the jellyfish gene in, hey-presto! Danios with a bio-luminescense gene!

I'm a biology baby, I love genetic modification (not all the time, but if they're no harm or detremental effect to the paricipants, then it's good)

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldfish like cool water. Glofish are tropical. Glofish are danios that have "jellyfish juice" in them, I don't know the proper terminology.
Jellyfish juice.
I've always been facinated by glofish. I've gone to buy them a few times but I just can't wrap my head around their color.

Irfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had goldfish and guppies in my tank for a month. You can see the video at

For me, it was the other way round. The female guppies sometimes did not allow the goldfish to swim in a particular area. This was most probably due to the fact that the guppy was pregnant.

Anyhow, in my opinion, you should not have any trouble. The only reason why i gave my goldfish to my friend was that firstly, my 12g tank would have become too samll to support them and secondly, I could not maintain a temperature of around 21C/70F for my goldfish even while keeping the air conditioning working 24/7 in the room (I live in a hot country - KSA). Now I have guppies, platys and tetras.

chuckyduck

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have 5 glofish with a female guppy. The glofish chase each other, but they leave the guppy alone. No problems here.

cherrybarbboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i have glo fish and guppys and they are fine together, they live in peace and harmony. i wouldnt hesitate to put those to species in the same tank they are both very pretty fish

mercurybebe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also have glofish in my big 55g tank and they get along great with everyone, even the guppies! Of all the fish I've had, I've found that the "gang" of male guppies cause the most trouble bullying other fish (in one of my 30g tanks) and nipped the fins of my lyre-tail guppy who died.

Lucy...their color is weird but they look amazing in the big tanks...zipping around like mad! My favorite was The Hulk (he died a few weeks ago), who was green, he stood out the most and was so funny! I would get one or two the next time you are tempted, they are really entertaining!

Jellyfish juice ??? WOW! The guy at the LFS assured me that the fish weren't dyed after birth or anything and said something about genetics but I would have never guessed...how random!? Who thinks this stuff up?

Bucket289

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have had two glofish and a guppy along with some others in my tank. The guppy schools with the glofish since there aren't any other guppies, it is so funny to watch him, he follows them everywhere. They seem to get along really well!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom