Glofish tetras - tall or long tank? Question

1. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

My daughter wants (and earned through a reward system) a tank of the glofish tetras. We're thinking of a 20g. I like the aesthetics of the tall best, and it would work best in the space we have. I've always seen these tetras just kind of casually swimming around, not darting around like danios do. So, will they be comfortable and happy in a tall tank or do they need long tank?

Another question: Since they're basically the skirt tetras with an added protein gene, would they school together? I would like to have a few white skirt tetras with the glofish.

2. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

A 20 gallon tall is just fine for them. I think the skirt tetras will school and they also need schools of 6 or more (It makes them feel safe). Are you planning on getting the glo fish lighting? Some of the glo fish are danios, but the others are skirt tetras. Wouldn't be neat if they could add that gene to guppies? Good luck! Glo fish are neat!

3. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

No special lighting. She's just excited by the bright purple and pink fish so I don't feel the need, haha. Now if she decided to save her change for it and buy the lightning herself, I'm all for it. She's buying the gravel, decorations, fish, and anything extra.

What's a good number for a tank that size? Aqadvisor said 8 would be fine with adequate filtration but I don't want to push it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

6-8 should be fine as long as you have a good filter and 25 percent water change with gravel vac once a week;)

Congrats to you both!
    I love my puffer

5. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

We're well practiced with the gravel vac and for the most part I think I understand the filtration. We'll be tank shopping this weekend!

Thanks. :)

6. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

Awesome! Post some pics if you can! We'd love to see your tank!;)

Best of luck!
    I love my puffer