Glofish Tetras Swimming Sideways

sailesh10115

Hey everyone,

I have a 55 gallon cycled tank with a filter and heater.
Temp is at 76
Ammonia & Nitrite are 0
Nitrate is at 5

Last week we bought 2 Dwarf gourami, 4 coral red serpae tetra, and 2 white skirt tetra
They were doing well, so today we bought 2 bosemani rainbowfish, 2 GloFish Tetra + 2 GloFish Long-fin Tetra, & another Drawrf Gourami

This afternoon we noticed 1 of the longfish tetras swimming sideways, but now it seems that all the glofish tetras are swimming at an angle.
Can anyone help us with this?

bcsay720

Hello! I have a few things here:

1. Is the filter strong? Sometimes my tetras swim at a slight angle because of the current. I was concerned at first, but they've been doing this for months now and only in certain parts of the tank, so it's likely the current. If yours are completely on their sides, then that's a different issue.

2. Glofish are notoriously sickly, since they are often bred poorly or inbred to preserve their "glo gene." This makes them very susceptible to illness, sudden death, and stress. They need pristine water conditions (not just good parameters. Very clean water, too) in order to thrive.

Upvote 0

sailesh10115

Whenever I feed them they always straighten up when they go for the food, and while they have it in their mouth their straight, but then go back to swimming kinda sideways.

I dont think its the filter, I have an aqueon 75 hang on the back filter, and the water level is high so its not too strong.

One thing I should mention though is its not completely sideways, its like slanted 70 - 80 degrees instead of the straight 90 degrees.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sailesh10115
Replies
Views
Fish1999
  • Question
Replies
Views
Initiate