Question Glofish Tetras Swim Bladder

lorielue

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have two GlofishTetras with Swim bladder and I can't seem to make it better. I was out of town when it happened so they have likely gotten bad over two weeks. I have given them two salt baths over two days, 1 gallon with 1tbsp for 15 min, and recovery in 1 gallon with 1tsp for 5 min, but no improvements I've tried peas but they cant get to them, and don't seem to eat when i try to feed them.

Any ideas??! They are getting worse, the one just lays at the top like to exhausted to try anymore to swim down. So sad

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquarium salt baths won't do anything for SBD. Epsom salt baths will. It's a laxative, muscle relaxant, and swelling reducer. You can do 1/2 a tablespoon to a tablespoon if it's that bad.

Can you post pictures? Are there any scales sticking up? Any bloating?

lorielue

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Epsom salt is what I have been using. About to do their third salt bath today. Let me see if I can upload a photo

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah, okay. It might be that they have something else going on. It's really hard to say because I can't run tests or anything.
Sometimes fish get air in their swim bladders and require surgery to release it. I hope that's not the case. It's also possible they have an infection internally that's messing up their swim bladder.
Have you tested your water?

lorielue

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yep, everything is good. The nitrates were a little bit high, so been doing extra water changes, they are at 5 now. They don't seem any better and I have done two more salt baths. I did switch the food from the flakes to a more pellet type food for the rest of the tank, hoping that will help it from happening again. I feel so bad for the poor things, but not sure what else I can do.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hm. Maybe they have an infection that's causing the problem. You can try Kanaplex, Furan-2, or Maracyn 2.
Kanaplex can be absorbed internally and can treat internal infections. I believe it treats gram-negative. Maracyn 2 can also be absorbed internally and treats gram negative bacteria including what causes fin and tail rot. Furan-2 has 2 furan components that treat both gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria.
There are other options too. What you choose is a matter of what you can get ahold of and think is best.

Have you been doing the baths every day?

lorielue

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did 4 baths total, then I stoped a day ago because it seemed like it wasn't doing anything. Each about 15 min at 1tbsp per gallon with a 5 min recovery. I do have some stuff that treats general infections, MicrobeLift Artimess that I put in the tank twice last week in hopes it would do something, but it doesn't seem to have done anything either.

lorielue

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's been a month and these poor fish aren't getting any better. I feel awful for them, any ideas?????! I'm guessing maybe not swim bladder? I've googled this a bunch of times and I can't find anything that seems to confirm what's going on, or what to do. Going to try another round of the salt baths, no food for a few days, and peas. but no luck last time. Feels weird to euthanize a fish like this, but how long is the poor thing going to suffer?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom