Glofish Tetras and Glofish Danios

JPH1970

A short version of a long story....

I have glofish danios and glofish tetras in my tank. I got these by mistake from the glofish company.

Anyway, the danios seem to chase the tetras at times. Is that normal for those types of fish? There are sufficient numbers in each group of fish

This chasing doesn't happen all of the time and the danios also chase themselves too.

There's plenty of plants and decor in the tank. Later on, I'll post pictures and a video.

Oh...the tank temperature is 86 right now because I'm treating for ich.

JettsPapa

What size is your tank, and how many of each kind of fish do you have?

Upvote 0

RayClem

The Glofish danios are a genetically modified version of common zebra danios. They are very active, shoaling fish, but they do not tend to be aggressive. When they chase other fish, it is more playful than anything else. They like living in large groups; the larger the better if the tank size will allow.

Glofish tetras are a genetically modified version of the common black skirt tetra. These fish have a tendency to nip the fins of any tankmates with longer fins. Thus, they do not go well with bettas, fancy guppies, angelfish, etc. However, there is no way they would ever catch the fast-swimming danios, so nipping will not be an issue. Tetras also like being kept in groups with a group of six or more being ideal.

Thus, while there is no issue keeping Glofish danios and tetras together, the issue as stated previously by JettsPapa is whether your tank is large enough to house suitable numbers of each species. If you have a smaller tank, you might be better off with one or the other. However, if your fish have ich, you should not try returning the fish or giving them to another fishkeeper.

Danios are typically considered cool water species. A like temperatures in the low to mid 70s. A temperature of 86 degrees may be too high for them. That might have triggered their behavior. Are you using any medication to treat the ich or only the elevated temperature? While raising the temperature will cause the ich cysts to hatch more rapidly, temperature alone might not be sufficient to kill the ich tomites that get released into the water. One frequently recommended ich medication is ICH-X by Hikari and sold in the states under the HealthAid brand.

Upvote 0

JPH1970

The Glofish danios are a genetically modified version of common zebra danios. They are very active, shoaling fish, but they do not tend to be aggressive. When they chase other fish, it is more playful than anything else. They like living in large groups; the larger the better if the tank size will allow.

Glofish tetras are a genetically modified version of the common black skirt tetra. These fish have a tendency to nip the fins of any tankmates with longer fins. Thus, they do not go well with bettas, fancy guppies, angelfish, etc. However, there is no way they would ever catch the fast-swimming danios, so nipping will not be an issue. Tetras also like being kept in groups with a group of six or more being ideal.

Thus, while there is no issue keeping Glofish danios and tetras together, the issue as stated previously by JettsPapa is whether your tank is large enough to house suitable numbers of each species. If you have a smaller tank, you might be better off with one or the other. However, if your fish have ich, you should not try returning the fish or giving them to another fishkeeper.

Danios are typically considered cool water species. A like temperatures in the low to mid 70s. A temperature of 86 degrees may be too high for them. That might have triggered their behavior. Are you using any medication to treat the ich or only the elevated temperature? While raising the temperature will cause the ich cysts to hatch more rapidly, temperature alone might not be sufficient to kill the ich tomites that get released into the water. One frequently recommended ich medication is ICH-X by Hikari and sold in the states under the HealthAid brand.
My tank is 29 gallons.

I was given 10 danios, 6 tetras, and 3 sharks(the sharks I never wanted or ordered. Actually the company screwed up my entire order).As soon as the ich treatment is complete, I'm rehoming the sharks and possibly upgrade to a bigger tank. Or rehome half of the danios.

Yes, I know I'm overstocked but I'm trying to make the best of a not-so-good situation.
I was planning on adding some cories but I don't think I can

In addition to elevated heat, I added aquarium salt. I started ich treatment less than 24 hours after receiving the fish since that's when I first noticed it on one danio. None of the others have the spots. The fish have been in 86 F water for nearly the entire time they've been in my tank.

The more I think of it, I'm actually more interested in the length of treatment for ich. It's a bit of a unique situation since I'm using Tetra Safestart Plus and I can't do water changes yet. So I can't do gravel vacs to clean up the ich. I made a post about that and am waiting for responses.

The more I read about the fish behavior, the more I think it's ok. Like I said, it doesn't happen all of the time...not even 25% of the time
Glofish tank video 1

Glofish tank video 2

Upvote 0

RayClem

Mostly it looks like the danios are chasing one another. That is typical of their activity. They are reacting to the movement of the danios, but they do not appear to be stressed by it. Unless the tetras become stressed, do not worry about it.

A 29 gallon tank with 10 danios and six tetras would not be overstocked, even if you added 6 smaller cory catfish, something smaller than bronze or albino corys. However, unless you plan to get a larger tank, the sharks will outgrow a 29. Thus, your plan to rehome them is a good one.

I would suggest you keep all the danios. They will be much happier in a group of ten than only five. Although they can grow to 2" in size, they are slender fish. Thus, their bioload is far less than many other 2" fish. Two danios probably have a bioload similar to that of a single Glofish Tetra. As long as you have good filtration and do weekly water changes, I do not believe you will have any problems.

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Although bottled bacteria products like SafeStart Plus help getting the cycle started, they do not "instantly cycle" your tank, no matter what it says on the bottle. It takes about six weeks for the tank to be fully cycled. If the tank was already cycled, then the SafeStart Plus would be ideal to help deal with the extra bioload resulting from adding new fish.

Are you performing daily tests on the ammonia and nitrite levels in the tank? If the ammonia levels exceeds 0.5 ppm, you need to do a water change and then add more SafeStart Plus. High ammonia levels will just stress your fish making it likely they will all become infected with ich. The water change will also remove some of the ich tomites from the aquarium, lowering the risk of spreading the infection.

The bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle attach to surfaces in the tank such as filter media, substrate, decorations, glass walls, and filter tubes. Very few of the bacteria are contained in the water column except immediately after you dose SafeStart Plus. Water changes are beneficial, not harmful as long as your tap water is of suitable quality and you detoxify the chlorine. You just do not want to do a water change immediately after dosing the bottled bacteria. Do the water change and then dose SafeStart Plus.

Although ich medications like ICH-X will kill ich tomites quickly, it can take several days to a few weeks to kill all of the parasites in the tank. The cysts you see on the fish act like armor protecting the parasites from harm. It is only when the cysts hatch that the parasites are vulnerable to treatment. Only when you see no more cysts for a couple of weeks can you consider the ich eradicated.

In your profile, you indicate that you did not quarantine your fish. I hope this experience will make you aware of the importance of quarantine. Also, it is seldom a good idea to add more than a few fish to a tank at one time so the nitrogen cycle can adapt to the new bioload. I understand that the mix-up in your order might have made this unavoidable this time around, but try to avoid it in the future.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dippiedee
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Glofish Stocking
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi
Replies