Glofish Tetra with weird growth

EddieGWL

Recently I realized that my Glofish Tetra has a weird growth on his mouth and I decide to isolate him in a temporary tank. I can't seem to identify if its just sore from playing too much or other sickness and need help from the community. He is still eating and playing well with other fishes.

PXL_20211016_085100217.jpg

PXL_20211016_085206087.jpg

Growth is at the lower jaw, appreciate if the community can help ID it and recommend any kind of treatment.

A201

Not sure if there is an actual growth. Sort of looks like the top lip has been torn loose & is resting on the lower lip.

EddieGWL

Not sure if there is an actual growth. Sort of looks like the top lip has been torn loose & is resting on the lower lip.
Maybe a surface picture can help. There's no meat dangling and it moves along with bottom jaw.

PXL_20211016_125558593.jpg

PXL_20211016_125654283.jpg

PXL_20211016_125730433.jpg

A201

That does clear things up. I think that leaves three possibilities, none of which are particularly promising.
- Viral growth (Lymphocystis) no medical cure, mildly contagious & might eventually heal naturally.
- Cancerous tumor. Self explanatory.
- Benign tumor, no cure, probably not fatal, just ugly.

EddieGWL

That does clear things up. I think that leaves three possibilities, none of which are particularly promising.
- Viral growth (Lymphocystis) no medical cure, mildly contagious & might eventually heal naturally.
- Cancerous tumor. Self explanatory.
- Benign tumor, no cure, probably not fatal, just ugly.
Well that was kind of disappointing to hear from it. As far as I want to give quality of life since it still can swim, play and eat, I'm quite in a dilemma should I put it back to the community tank and risk my other Tetras infecting it, but leaving it in quarantine tank also hasten it's death.

A201

IMO, The only contagious possibility would be Lymphocystis.
Speaking from experience that possibility is very low. I've had to deal with fish infected w/ Lymphocystis a few times over the years. Never had it spread to tankmates, but never had the virus clear up either. I eventually euthanized the infected fish.

EddieGWL

IMO, The only contagious possibility would be Lymphocystis.
Speaking from experience that possibility is very low. I've had to deal with fish infected w/ Lymphocystis a few times over the years. Never had it spread to tankmates, but never had the virus clear up either. I eventually euthanized the infected fish.
Yeah true, don't always think on the worst side, there's always the other 2 possibility occurs. I shall put it back in the community tank since he's still thriving and eating well, just have to monitor his health condition and keeping the environment conducive. Thanks for the great help!

Debbie1986

they' re weaker genetically because they've been altered. I'd say half the glowfish tetras I have made it to just 1 year.

he looks like a nice beefy sized one. I'd just leave him as is. stress of moving him will just make him weaker. JMO. It's not ich etc, so I wouldn't do any treatment other than regular water changes.

I have 5 currently, used to have 8. my 2 oldest ones are at around 2 years.

the ones that died, just died in tank. no real illness. 1 looked off 1 day and and then bam gone the next.

EddieGWL

Yup, they're quite resilient to environment and quickly adjust to water when there's a school of fish.

I had total of 8, 5 adolescence which grew up to full size, 2 small ones almost grown fully but 1 unfortunately got sucked up and shredded by my HOB filter.

May 2021 will be their full 1st year with me, totally love them so much.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GuppyGal7
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views
britny132
Replies
Views