Glofish Tetra Help Question

1. KyleJ Initiate Member

Hey all. Brand new to this forum. It just doesn't seem like Google can answer everything. I have a community tank with a mix of platys, guppies, neon tetras, and glofish tetras. Tank is 50 gallons and fish should have plenty of room. My glofish I thought were suppose to be calm schooling fish, but they pretty much pick on each other on a regular basis and most alarming they have seemed to specifally been targeting my one green tetra, chasing it all day today and like nipping and rubbing (aggressively) against her. Little worried I shouldn't have picked this fish, since all my all my other fish seem so peaceful. Any suggestions? Are these just way more active than I thought? Spawning? I fear for the green glofish's life a little bit. :/

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

How many glofish tetras do you have? They are schooling fish and if you don't have enough they may become aggressive because they are stressed.

3. KyleJ Initiate Member

Thanks for the reply. I have 6, and they don't seem to try and school at all. Water quality is great as well.

4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would start off by adding 3-5 more.

Most schooling fish don't school unless they are scared.

5. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I had 5 White Skirts, or GloFish.
    They were agressive upon being added to a 31g with danios.
    Danios were moved, and the school was upgraded to 10, and they never were aggressive again.

6. dartzy Member Member

I have nine and they are still aggressive....

7. fissh Well Known Member Member

Glofish =(whiteskirt tetras) are fast and nippy. they are good tank mates for fish like serpae tetras, rainbows and other nippers.