Glofish Tank ; Weekly Additives & Water Readings Help

Discussion in 'Glofish' started by Beausoleiljacob, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Beausoleiljacob

BeausoleiljacobValued MemberMember

:;hi1I currently bought a new 10 Gallon glofish Tank for my new house. The tank has been set up for a week and a half and has fish in it for about 5 days. There are 7 fish in it.

I was just wondering on what I should add in to the tank. Either Stress Zyme +or Tetra Safe Start. When I first set up the tank I added both and according the bottles it states to add the proper dosage each week.

What should I do?:eek:

Also what should I be adding each week into the tank, if anything. Also since it is a new tank when should I start doing water changes.

I just tested everything in the pH is really high for having Tetras. The readings are as followed. pH:7.4 | Ammonia: 0ppm | Nitrites: 0ppm | Nitrates: 5.0ppm

What should i do? :eek:

2. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

You need to use the Tetra Safe Start to help achieve your cycle. Your parameters seem like you have achieved cycle but not sure how that could have been done in 5 days with out any Tetra Safe Start or other bacterial booster. Don't worry about PH too much. Focus on the other 3 parameters as they will be the ones that can affect the fish a lot. Are you using the test strips or liquid tests?

3. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

I did you Tetra Safe Start to cycle my aquarium as well as Stress Coat+ and Stress Zyme+. I am using liquid. Would you also be able to answer my other questions? But is 5.0 Nitrate bad? Thanks for the help.

4. Castiel*

Castiel*Well Known MemberMember

Did you test your water with the Liquid test kit (API Master Kit) or Strips?

5. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

6. zinnaerris

zinnaerrisValued MemberMember

Nitrates higher than 40ppm are bad. A cycled tank will have nitrates, 10ppm to 20ppm are average nitrate readings for a cycled tank. Just make sure you have no ammonia or nitrites.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

Would you be able to tell me about what to add to the tank. I was thinking Either Stress Zyme +, or Tetra Safe Start. When I first set up the tank I added both and according the bottles it states to add the proper dosage each week. Should I use both? (Considering my tank is thriving right now)

8. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

My answer in part assumes you are well versed on the nitrogen cycle (words will be link to article if you need to read up on it)

SafeStart is a product that you add to a tank so that it can be cycled with fish. If it works (which it usually does if used properly) you need only add it one time. SafeStart is just a bottle of the bacteria that would have developed in your filter media naturally over the course of several weeks to cycle your tank. By using SafeStart, you are usually cycled within 2 weeks, as opposed to 6+ weeks to cycle without SafeStart.

From your readings, it looks like you are cycled, since a cycled tank has 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and some nitrates. So now all you need to do is weekly partial water changes to keep the nitrate levels under 20ppm. (partial water changes are the only way to remove nitrates from the water....well live plants will remove some nitrates but no enough). So all you need to do is preform a large enough partial water change so that the next week, just before your water change your nitrates are no higher than 20ppm. This may be a bit of trial and error since every tank is a different biolaod, but I personally prefer to do 50% water changes.

So other than whatever product you use to remove chlorine (I guess in your case that would be Stress Coat) there is no reason to add anything else. In fact, I would recommend you stop using the Stress Zyme. It really is a useless product, but it seems every beginner ends up with a bottle of it (I know I did).

Oh yeah, one last thing, do not do your first partial water change until 2 weeks after the day you added the SafeStart. SafeStart really needs that 2 weeks to settle in.

Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

9. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Jdhef hit the nail on the head.

10. delta5

delta5Well Known MemberMember

Adjusting your ph to the 'optimal' level is only going to stress your fish out even more. 9 out of 10 your lfs is using the same tap water you have in regards to freshwater fish. +1 to TSS.

11. MamajinWell Known MemberMember

It's very important that you learn about the Nitrogen Cycle and what your water parameters should be. A healthy cycled tank will have a reading of 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and anywhere between 5 ppm to 50 ppm nitrate. You must have nitrates to have a healthy Nitrogen Cycle, but knowing what those numbers should be is key. How high the nitrate level goes between those two numbers should be dependant on the type of tank you have.

Freshwater community tank: Between 5 ppm and 50 ppm nitrate
    African cichlid tank: Between 5 ppm and 50 ppm nitrate
    Plants and discus fish: Between 5 ppm and 30 ppm nitrate
    Brackish tank: Between 5 ppm and 50 ppm nitrate
    Pond: Between 5 ppm and 50 ppm nitrate
    [Source - aquatic vets  ]

Generally most have a reading somewhere between 5 ppm and 20 ppm nitrate. Weekly water changes along with good gravel vacs and good filter/canister maintenance help to maintain those healthy numbers and stop them from getting out of control.

Can you tell us please.. what species of GloFish do you have?

12. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

My Glofish Isn't Eating!

:;rocker[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I currently bought a new 10 Gallon glofish Tank for my new house. The tank has been set up for a week and a half and has fish in it for about 5 days. There are 7 fish in it. But one of those 7 fish aren't eating!

It seems like everyone else gets to the food before her. It also seems that she
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]isn't as active as she should be, considering how active the other fish of the same breed is. I tried putting her in the net and feed her individually separated from the others but she still seems like she didn't want to eat. Also, even when there is food right in front of her mouth she attempts to eat but lets it pass right by her.
    Ps. She is a Glofish Tetra

[/FONT]:;juggle[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What should I do?? Should I return her? [/FONT]:eek:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

PLEASE HELP!!
    [/FONT]:eek:

13. crawfishcrazy27

crawfishcrazy27Well Known MemberMember

She might be stressed out cause of the new home still, and catching it in a net probably doesn't do anything to help that either. Other than that I do not know.

Good luck to you and your fish!

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

14. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

Ya I was really skeptical on putting her in the net. It was just that I haven't seen her eat in 2 days and was really concerned.

15. Delaneyw

DelaneywWell Known MemberMember

Ten gallons is a bit small for seven glofish tetras, but she could be stressed by a number of things. Do any of the other fish harass her? Have you tested your water parameters? Did you use a bacteria starter like TSS?

The more info you give, the better!

16. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

There not all tetras. I have 3 Danios, 2 Tetras & 2 Tiger Barbs. From what it look like, I have never personally seen any of the other fish picking on her. Yes, I also tested my water parameters which where: Ammonia: 0ppm | Nitrite: 0ppm | Nitrate 5ppm. And yes, I also did use Tetra's Safe Start.

17. Delaneyw

18. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

What should I do then. The people at Petco said that this is a perfect stock.

19. Delaneyw

It's really unfortunate but pet stores do this often. It's always best to do your own research. I would take back all but one kind and try rounding them out, but again, any of these would do better in a 20g home or larger. You could do other things in a 10g though that don't require big groups. Like a single dwarf gourami,or male guppies, or endlers.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  20. bowen747xValued MemberMember

you said your tank is less then 2 weeks old? well TSS takes 14 days to complete, im surprised you cycled your tank so quickly... also whats your pH? filling out your profile with all your tank details might help us help you. and you cant always listen to your LFS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice