Glofish Spazzing!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just noticed that my group of six globefish in a 5g. One of them has started spazzing, flipping and dong crazy things.

I just did a 25 percent water change, and added conditioner and everything. Any ideas?

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have fahaka puffers in a 5 gallon? I assume you are cycling their tank. 6 of them in a 5 gallon is bound to get them a little crazy even if they are just babies. You might have a waste overload going on with that many in there. Did you research how big they get? You must have a huge tank for 6 of them.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My guess is that you have waste buildup (Ammonia & nitrates) in your tank. The only way to fix the issue is to do several small water changes. I would do another 30% water change tonight. Then do 2-50% water changes tomorrow about 2 hours apart. I wouldn't feed them until after your final water change. And only give them very little.

I started with glo-fish and was taken advantage of. They do need a bigger tank, but the glo-fish company markets those small tanks and says it is ok to keep that many fish in there. The fish don't usually survive very long because of lots of factors. Stress being one of the main causes of their short lives.

After you do all the water changes, you will need to do 50% water changes everyday to keep your water conditions non-toxic to your fish. I am not sure even then it will work. I would buy some Seachem Prime. It helps to detoxify the ammonia build up temporarily, but it just treats the symptoms, doesn't fix the problem.

If you are able, I would see if you can take them back to the store. I would get a betta fish and a couple nerite snails to keep in your 5g. Almost all other fish need 10gallons or more.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, ignore my post. I see the thread subject says Glofish. I was reading your introduction that said Globefish. Even 6 babies in a 5 gallon is stretching it for quarantine as the fish will get 12 to 15 inches. lol

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, ignore my post. I see the thread subject says Glofish. I was reading your introduction that said Globefish. Even 6 babies in a 5 gallon is stretching it for quarantine as the fish will get 12 to 15 inches. lol
I was wondering where you got the whole puffer thing from lol

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are able, I would see if you can take them back to the store. I would get a betta fish and a couple nerite snails to keep in your 5g. Almost all other fish need 10gallons or more.
Actually, believe it or not, most fish in the pet store need a 20 gallon+. Very few sold actually can go in a 10 gallon. At an LFS, you might have more that can go in a 10 gallon since they sell more smaller fish

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Actually, believe it or not, most fish in the pet store need a 20 gallon+. Very few sold actually can go in a 10 gallon. At an LFS, you might have more that can go in a 10 gallon since they sell more smaller fish
I realize that, I know their in a 5g, but I do frequent water changes.

Last Water Change: 25% Last Night. Last Saturday was the last before that.

I'm going to change the water again today.

He stopped spazzing after I changed the water, but I now see that he's slightly doing it again. I'll clean the water until this resolves.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Water changes does not make up the fact they are in a small tank , it would be like keeping a jack Russel terrier in the biggest crate for its whole life. You could feed it the best food and make sure there are no waste in the crate, but in the end the small space is still a small space.

If those glofish are kept in the 5 gallon for their whole life they probably won't make it to the 5 year mark. They would be lucky if they can get to 3.

For long term health, I suggest you pick up a 20 gallon at Petco($1 per gallon sale right now!) or you rehome those fish.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't think my PetCo is doing $1 per gallon sales.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom