Glofish Not Eating Or Swimming

Danielle1

Reaction score
Hi! We are new at this and have a 55 gallon tank w 4 GloFish, 1 zebra tetra, & 3 plattys. We have had them all for about 2 weeks and everyone has been great. Just a couple days ago, my green GloFish stopped interacting with the others and stays at one spot in the middle left of the aquarium. He kind of just twitches. He has not eaten in 2 days. Does not float upside down or sideways. Just kind of twitches and flicks to stay in the same spot. I see no changes in his color or scales. He opens and closes his mouth a lot, way more than the other fish. Should I be concerned?? Any idea what is going on? I have also noticed his eyes seem a lil bluish where the others are black.

Danielle1

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd be concerned.
The first thing to check would be water parameters to make sure that the water is as it should be.
We checked the water levels yesterday and all looks good!

Here are a few photos. You can see his eyes are more blue like than black next to the other fish

We checked the water levels yesterday and all looks good!
Rechecked the water nititres are .25ppm; Amonia is .50;

happyscrub

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you got ammonia, your tank isn't cycled.... which is kind of crazy since you got so little fish in a 55 gal! Do water changes until you see zero Ammonia every few days.

Don't over feed them to encourage them to eat, that will be adding to the ammonia too. I'll feed every other day too while this is going on. See if that helps.

Also you might have male tetras. After they get established and feel like they are at home, they won't shoal as much and tend to stay in one spot and defend it from other tetras. They'll usually eat and spare when they do this.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you got ammonia, your tank isn't cycled.... which is kind of crazy since you got so little fish in a 55 gal! Do water changes until you see zero Ammonia every few days.

Don't over feed them to encourage them to eat, that will be adding to the ammonia too. I'll feed every other day too while this is going on. See if that helps.

Also you might have male tetras. After they get established and feel like they are at home, they won't shoal as much and tend to stay in one spot and defend it from other tetras. They'll usually eat and spare when they do this.
All of the above and maybe also check if there's any like decomposing of plants, etc. going on. Vacuum the bottom well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom