Glofish newbie

Joychic
Member
I got 2 glofish starfish today and on the recomendation of pet store (I know) I got a 5 gallon kit tank. So its day 1 and I found this site and realised the error of my ways. Now how do I fix this? I would like to return the tank but the fish are in it and I'm not sure how to go about the switch safely. I would also like to get more glofish for a proper school. I'm thinking 6 for a 20 gallon tank?


20200109_175627_HDR.jpg
 
The_fishy
Member
Joychic said:
I got 2 glofish starfish today and on the recomendation of pet store (I know) I got a 5 gallon kit tank. So its day 1 and I found this site and realised the error of my ways. Now how do I fix this? I would like to return the tank but the fish are in it and I'm not sure how to go about the switch safely. I would also like to get more glofish for a proper school. I'm thinking 6 for a 20 gallon tank?
You can try calling the store and asking about the return policy. If you can’t return it, you can either try to sell it on FaceBook yard sale or Letgo, keep it to use as a quarantine tank, or set it up for something suitable for that tank size (such as a betta).

Which particular glofish did you buy? I know they do tiger barbs, zebra danios, and skirt tetras.

The best thing to do would get them into the 20 (Petco has $1 per gallon sale right now, so you can get one for $20) and move everything (fish, decor, filter, etc.) over. You’ll be doing a fish in cycle, so I would hold off on more fish until your cycle is finished.

Basically, the nitrogen cycle is what keeper the closed system of an aquarium safe for fish. Fish waste becomes ammonia (toxic), ammonia is eaten by one type of bacteria that turns it into nitrites (toxic), and a second bacteria turns it into nitrates (slightly less toxic). Nitrates are eaten by plants and removed during water changes. A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates. I recommend that you get an API masters test kit to monitor these numbers or get your water tested at the store and have them show you the exact values.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
The_fishy said:
You can try calling the store and asking about the return policy. If you can’t return it, you can either try to sell it on FaceBook yard sale or Letgo, keep it to use as a quarantine tank, or set it up for something suitable for that tank size (such as a betta).

Which particular glofish did you buy? I know they do tiger bards, zebra danios, and skirt tetras.

The best thing to do would get them into the 20 (Petco has $1 per gallon sale right now, so you can get one for $20) and move everything (fish, decor, filter, etc.) over. You’ll be doing a fish in cycle, so I would hold off on more fish until your cycle is finished.

Basically, the nitrogen cycle is what keeper the closed system of an aquarium safe for fish. Fish waste becomes ammonia (toxic), ammonia is eaten by one type of bacteria that turns it into nitrites (toxic), and a second bacteria turns it into nitrates (slightly less toxic). Nitrates are eaten by plants and removed during water changes. A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates. I recommend that you get an API masters test kit to monitor these numbers or get your water tested at the store and have them show you the exact values.
This is great advice and I'm printing it out. They actually said I could return the kit tank but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have a wash basin...do I transfer water to it and fish and pray while I rush to store and make the switch to 20 gallon?

Oh and they are a moonrise pink tetra pair
 
The_fishy
Member
Joychic said:
This is great advice and I'm printing it out. They actually said I could return the kit tank but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have a wash basin...do I transfer water to it and fish and pray while I rush to store and make the switch to 20 gallon?
I’d keep the filter cartridge if you can, since that is where a lot of the bacteria that you already have would be living. You’ll want to pick up a heater (100 W aqueon pro is nice because you can adjust it) and a filter (love Fluval Aqua Clear because there is a lot of filter media capacity). The old cartridge can be placed in the tank or you can jam it in the new filter and remove it once your tank has been cycled for a few weeks. In the long run, you’ll only need to rinse filter media in only tank water and not really replace it unless it is falling apart or the media is carbon (carbon needs replaced monthly).

There are also 20 gallon kits, but you won’t get the discount on the tank.

Joychic said:
Oh and they are a moonrise pink tetra pair
Okay, so that is a modified white skirt tetra. Try and get a 20 long if you can, the fish will appreciate the horizontal space. A school of 6 would be nice and since they are the same species, you can mix and match with fish of other colors as long as they have the body style of a white skirt tetra (you could even mix with actual white skirts).
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
The_fishy said:
Okay, so that is a modified white skirt tetra. Try and get a 20 long if you can, the fish will appreciate the horizontal space.
I am just going to take all this to the store and tell them this is what I need.
 
The_fishy
Member
Joychic said:
I am just going to take all this to the store and tell them this is what I need.
I just modified my above post to make sure you know you have numerous color options. Just maybe hold off on more fish for a bit until you know everything is safe for them.

Oh, if you have a mobile phone, there is a free Fishlore Aquarium Fish Forum app. It’s great for if you are on the go a lot.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
The_fishy said:
Oh, if you have a mobile phone, there is a free Fishlore Aquarium Fish Forum app. It’s great for if you are on the go a lot.
I do. Is it on google play? Anything is helpful. I want to be good at this.
 
The_fishy
Member
Joychic said:
I do. Is it on google play? Anything is helpful. I want to be good at this.
I just checked and it is.

Another thing, if you end up doing a 20 gallon and getting all of the equipment separately, you’ll need a light with a moonlight setting to see the intense glowiness.
 
Islandvic
Member
We have glow fish tetras in our 75f, along with an assortment of other community fish.

The purple color does not glow much, but the yellow/green, pink and orange really pop.

Our glo-tetras have been very hardy. For a separate blue light, Amazon sells Mingdak brand submersible LED light bars. I've got a Mingdak in all blue and running on a cheap mechanical plug-in timer.
 
MissNoodle
Member
Theyd look fine in normal light too if you wanted to just buy the standard hood light for now.

Black skirt tetra, white skirt tetra, and the glo tetras are all the same species and can mix (mine are). Tough little fish, but you will definitely want a full school of 6 or more. Less than that can make them very nippy with each other and other tank mates. They mellow out a lot with a larger school.

My two glo skirts in natural lighting, to get an idea. They look pretty good naturally. Well. Besides being GMO fish. I kinda didnt like them at first but my husband brought 2 home to up our school of white/black and tbh they really grew on me.

Mine are the green and the purple.

20200108_221001.jpg

20191124_134149.jpg
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
Ok I took in all the help and a list to my petstore. I have 8 white skirt tetras in a 20 gallon tank. These guys are super happy. We just stare at them. My tank has a moonlight and a daylight so its cool. They also look great just by themselves with no light at all. We had 2 casualties during this process. We lost our snail and 1 purple glofish that acted strange even in the bag from the pet store and died as we got home. That was super sad. We got the liquid test kit for the water and so far the levels are pretty good. Any new advice or are we on the right track?
20200112_105235_HDR~2.jpg

20200111_003956.jpg
 
jkkgron2
Member
Joychic said:
Ok I took in all the help and a list to my petstore. I have 8 white skirt tetras in a 20 gallon tank. These guys are super happy. We just stare at them. My tank has a moonlight and a daylight so its cool. They also look great just by themselves with no light at all. We had 2 casualties during this process. We lost our snail and 1 purple glofish that acted strange even in the bag from the pet store and died as we got home. That was super sad. We got the liquid test kit for the water and so far the levels are pretty good. Any new advice or are we on the right track?
20200112_105235_HDR~2.jpg

20200111_003956.jpg
What are the exact levels?? Also, until the tank is cycled I would do 50% water changes daily, you can tell it’s cycled when the test results are Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrates 5-40
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
jkkgron2 said:
What are the exact levels?? Also, until the tank is cycled I would do 50% water changes daily, you can tell it’s cycled when the test results are Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrates 5-40
Ill test again tonight and get todays numbers and post for accuracy
 
MissNoodle
Member
Looking good! Next suggestion would be a nice tall plant to break up the upper level a little bit, just in case they get a bit nippy with each other. Theyre fun fish, but they can get nippy establishing their pecking order. Tall plants block their view of one another so diffuses some tension for these times. Could be real or artificial, that's your choice, though real plants are helpful to water quality (you can place pothos or lucky bamboo in the filter instead though)

Itll be nice to see as they grow, they should double the size they are.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
Ok tall plant....ill order some. I have noticed they sometimes chase each other up top
 
MissNoodle
Member
Joychic said:
Ok tall plant....ill order some. I have noticed they sometimes chase each other up top
This will settle down, but sometimes if you change up the tank they start back up again. Or if you add a new fish or one dies. Normally its pretty mild, maybe a nipped fin or two, but usually not terrible.

I like how these guys beg for food and then dive on it like a horde of piranhas. And their scales are very reflective and overlooked. I think the skirts are very underrated for their appeal. Sure, glofish aren't for everyone, I didnt care for the idea of GMO fish at first either, but my husband brought home 2 and they grew on me. Ive seen some appeal of them in other setups too. My favourite individual is my green gloskirt.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
Joychic said:
Ill test again tonight and get todays numbers and post for accuracy
The temp is 76 in there and:
20200112_114754.jpg


20200112_114521.jpg

20200112_115000.jpg

20200112_115418.jpg
 
MissNoodle
Member
0.5 ammonia, use some prime and do a 50% water change.

Keep doing that, keep ammonia under 1ppm. Water change daily and prime until it cycles. Itll convert to nitrite next. Then nitrate.

You will be cycled fully when you are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-40 nitrate. Keep nitrates under 40, but 5-20 is most ideal.

Expect an ammonia spike with adding a good number of fish at once. So test again tomorrow. Id test daily until fully cycled
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
MissNoodle said:
0.5 ammonia, use some prime and do a 50% water change.

Keep doing that, keep ammonia under 1ppm. Water change daily and prime until it cycles. Itll convert to nitrite next. Then nitrate.

You will be cycled fully when you are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-40 nitrate. Keep nitrates under 40, but 5-20 is most ideal.

Expect an ammonia spike with adding a good number of fish at once. So test again tomorrow. Id test daily until fully cycled
What is prime?
 
mrsP
Member
prime is chemical mixture that is added to water to remove chlorine and some other things from water and makes it safer for fish.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
mrsP said:
prime is chemical mixture that is added to water to remove chlorine and some other things from water and makes it safer for fish.
Like conditioner? I have been using fluvall...will that be alright with the 50 percent water changes?
 
MissNoodle
Member
Prime has the added benefit that it renders ammonia and nitrite harmless to fish under a certain amount while still allowing the beneficial bacteria in the filter to process it and continue the cycle, unlike ammonia blockers that don't allow the bacteria to use it.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
MissNoodle said:
Prime has the added benefit that it renders ammonia and nitrite harmless to fish under a certain amount while still allowing the beneficial bacteria in the filter to process it and continue the cycle, unlike ammonia blockers that don't allow the bacteria to use it.
Can you send me a picture of it so I know what to get?
 
MissNoodle
Member
Prime Aquarium Water Conditioner | fish Water Care & Conditioning
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
This is what I have
20200112_124736.jpg
 
MissNoodle
Member
You can keep using the fluval, but at least during cycling have prime and keep it on hand for emergency spikes too
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
Can any of you read this result to me? All the other results are perfect but the difference in colour always messes me up with this one. The fish look great.
IMG_20200115_002042.jpg
 
LeahsTank
Member
Joychic said:
Can any of you read this result to me? All the other results are perfect but the difference in colour always messes me up with this one. The fish look great.
IMG_20200115_002042.jpg
Looks between .25 and .5. Keep up the water changes. You’re doing great.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
I did a 50 percent water change and now my ph went from normal to 8.2 and ammonia is the same at .1 and no3 is at zero but my no2 changed to .25 from zero...what did I do wrong and is this normal?


20200115_211615.jpg

20200115_211606.jpg

20200115_211555.jpg

20200115_211541.jpg
 
LeahsTank
Member
Joychic said:
I did a 50 percent water change and now my ph went from normal to 8.2 and ammonia is the same at .1 and no3 is at zero but my no2 changed to .25 from zero...what did I do wrong and is this normal?
You’ve done nothing wrong. NO2 will rise as the beneficial bacteria coverts the ammonia to NO2. You are now officially on your way. You should also begin to see the NO3 start to climb as well. These numbers will continue to change until you are cycled. The cycle is complete when you have 0 ammonia, 0 NO2, and seeing NO3. The NO3 is removed via water changes. Keep up the water changes until the cycle is completed.

also, tap water usually has a higher Ph until it gases off. Check it again after about 24 hours and you “should” see it drop back down.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
I have an opportunity to switch from my 20 gallon tall to a 55 gallon bow front. What would be good community fish for my 8 glofish?
 
MissNoodle
Member
Quite a few options for skirt tetras. Id definitely increase the skirts to at least 15, theyd do very well in a large group.

With them, you could add cories or kuhlI loaches (or 10 of each!) For the bottom level.

And perhaps a trio of pearl gourami.


With such a larger tank, you have a lot of flexibility depending what you want to have.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
Wow cool. I have been researching driftwood for ph levels as this tank I have is cycled so Ill be going more natural for new tank
 
MissNoodle
Member
I have driftwood in my tanks, and my pH is naturally high... my pH sits at 8. With driftwood and leaf litter it still only goes down to 7.6-7.8
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
Mine naturally sits at 8.2
 
The_fishy
Member
I agree with the pearl gourami. You could try a bristlenose pleco too.

When you move things over, take everything over. If you end up upgrading your filter, either put the media from the old one in the new one or run both the new and the old for a week or two.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
My plan is to take my time. For the used tank I think I will reseal it just to be safe. Its glass and holds water fine but the sealant looks flakey so I do not want to chance anything. Then when that's done and so thouroughly dry I am going to fill the tank to cycle it and use one of the two filter medias I have stuck in the old tank with a pool filter sand substrate and driftwood decorations for ph levels . Then after all that long process (I realize this might take weeks) and everything tests ok for my current glofish I am going to add them to new tank. Then I will start by adding corys first then I don't know who else. Is that a good plan?
 
fishsavvy
Member
Prime removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia. It also converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter. Lots of people may use prime during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
My sweet sweet husband put me in a tight spot today inadvertantly. He decided to grab 3 albino cory catfish (which I asked him to)

What he was supposed to do was come home and acclimate them in my quarantine tank.

What he decided to do was buy the three corys also buy new sand and a brand new filter and then he came home and removed my old filter and media (threw out the media), removed all the gravel and added the black diamond sand unwashed, installed new filter and tossed in the catfish.

Pray for my fish. I have tested the tank a few times tonight and my perameters are not perfect as this has threw me into a brand new cycle but I am not in danger yet. My water is super cloudy from the sand and I am having problems with noise from a vibrating lid on new filter.

Love my husband so much and his heart was in the right place
20200128_002232.jpg
but seriously
 
Islandvic
Member
If that happened to me, I would pull out the decor and scoop out the sand and throw it in a 5 gallon bucket. Do a large water change ensuring you temp match the water as best you can.

Then rinse the sand thoroughly and place it and the decor back into the tank.

As for the filter, maybe pull it and remove the impeller and give it a good rinse and wipe. The impeller may have sucked in some sand causing the noise.

If its cartridge based, I would toss the cartridge since there is no beneficial bacteria on it yet and place some foam sponge blocks cut to fit inside the reservoir. Aquaclear sells 3-pack foam sponge refills for their AC30, 50 and 70 models and single pack refill for the AC110 model.

These make for perfect media to replace cartridges as they act as both mechanical and biological media without clogging quickly like a cartridge does.

Keep up with WC's as the tank cycles again.
 
  • Thread Starter
Joychic
Member
Update: sand got clear overnight so I didnt have to take it back out. I took the lid off my brand new aquaclear filter and covered it with saran wrap and the noise is gone. Its definitly the lid and not the motor or propeller. I did another water change today 30% and I will test everything again in a few hours for parameters. I'm going out to grab some bacteria tank starter but so far 10 glofish and 3 albino cory babies have survived the night and a brand new cycle....fingers crossed!
20200128_091134~2.jpg
 

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom