Glofish Male and Female

couesfanatic
I just wanted to show a picture I took. I assume the bottom red one is a male and the top red one is a female. She looks to be getting bigger each day. How old do they need to be to be mature enough to produce eggs?

209.jpg

bolivianbaby
Beautiful fish! Sorry, I don't know anything about sexing fish or breeding, but I'm sure another member will be along shortly that can answer this for you

cherrybarbboi
you know I'm wondering the same thing about my glo fish one is bigger in the stomach than the other but just slightly so I don't know. I'm sure someone will be able to help both of us

Aquarist
Good morning. I don't have experience with glow fish either. I know Shawnie has some and so do some other members. Hang on. I'm sure you'll get some help soon.
Ken

Apri
I've always wondered if the coloring was fake, haha.

Tony G.
Apri said:
I've always wondered if the coloring was fake, haha.
welcome to fishlore aprI

CHoffman
Yup bottom one is male and top one is female. Unless the top one just had a huge snack and didn't share..lol..

Glofish are basically altered zebra danios. They are egg layers and avid egg eaters. It takes work to breed them. FYI, they are patented and it's illegal to purposely breed the fish (which is silly IMO) but that's the facts of it.
But to breed regular zebra danios you'd need to condition them, feed them high protein foods and often, like brineshrimp, bloodworms . Most people when breeding zebra danios put several females and a male in a separate tank and add a layer of marbles on the bottom about 2" deep so the eggs can fall between the marbles and avoid being eaten by mom and dad also have the water very shallow so the eggs don't have far to fall to be safe leave them over night, and check for spawning behavior, swimming low to the bottom and dad following behind chasing several times. Take moms and dad out and wait for them to hatch. If it wasn't successful you can do it again in a couple of days.

Top Bottom