GloFish Keep Dying

AlisonWonderland

Hey everyone,
Im a new GloFish Mom and I started with 7. One by one the keep dying and i dont know why. I only have a 5 gallon tank including one snail. I have tried just about everything and i cant seem to keep fish alive in this tank. Originally I had 2 minnows and 1 Beta ... then the Beta died as well as 1 minnow. So i went to the store asked for advice and got 7 glofish danios to keep the one minnow company.
Are you guys following .... So i cleaned the tank put 5 gallons of purified water and conditioner fit for the amount of water.
at this point I had & glofish, 1 minnow and 1 snail. 1 by one my glowfish keep dying and i dont know why!
currently i have 1 snail and 2 glofish. I tested the water and this is how it reads:

Iron-0
Copper-0.5
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
General Hardness-0
Chlorine-0
Alkaline-40
Carbonate-40
ph- 6.0
Please tell me where I went wrong Id like to get more fish but not if they keep dying like this!
Thank You so much in advance

Spudsssy

How long has the tank been setup? Is it fully cycled?

5 gallon is too small for most fish except a single betta (which I personally think is still too small). Snails and shrimp is best.

I recommend a 20gal if you want a much easier time keeping fish. Water parameters will be so much easier to keep stable and fish will have room and won't be stressed. If the glofish are danios a 20gal would be minimum for them.

Rick bose

Hey everyone,
Im a new GloFish Mom and I started with 7. One by one the keep dying and i dont know why. I only have a 5 gallon tank including one snail. I have tried just about everything and i cant seem to keep fish alive in this tank. Originally I had 2 minnows and 1 Beta ... then the Beta died as well as 1 minnow. So i went to the store asked for advice and got 7 glofish danios to keep the one minnow company.
Are you guys following .... So i cleaned the tank put 5 gallons of purified water and conditioner fit for the amount of water.
at this point I had & glofish, 1 minnow and 1 snail. 1 by one my glowfish keep dying and i dont know why!
currently i have 1 snail and 2 glofish. I tested the water and this is how it reads:

Iron-0
Copper-0.5
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
General Hardness-0
Chlorine-0
Alkaline-40
Carbonate-40
ph- 6.0
Please tell me where I went wrong Id like to get more fish but not if they keep dying like this!
Thank You so much in advance
I think your tank may not be cycled. What is your ammonia level? Nitrate and nitrite will obviously be 0 if the tank is not cycled. What do you mean by when you said you cleaned the tank? Did you clean the filter, substrate or anything else that was in the tank too? That would delay the cycle even more. You should have only changed water. Even if the tank is cycled, keeping so many fishes in such a small tank will definitely result in rise of ammonia. You should test your ammonia level asap. I think it's high. Read about Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and try to start cyling your tank.

Also your tank is too small to house glofish danios. They are very much active fishes. Only a betta is suitable for such a tank size with maybe some shrimps or snails(not mystery snail). Though shrimps will need much more experience & maintenance and also a well planted tank. Minnows need a much bigger tank too. Danios definitely need at least 24 by 12 inch tank. A small group of chilli rasboras can be kept in a well planted 5g tank. But I wouldn't recommend that if you are a new hobbyist as maintaining a planted tank so small with a group of fishes can be tricky. They would die too if you do mistake. Remember maintaining a small tank like 5g is more difficult & likely to cause accidents. I think a betta produces little waste for a 5g tank to handle. You can also keep only snails or shrimps or both rather than a betta. If you not experienced or educated about fish keeping, your shrimps will die soon. Shrimps need a planted tank too.

Another thing - your water ph is too low for low for danios and betta. They could die for low ph too but ammonia poisoning is more likely.
The ph is too low for most snails and shrimps also.

AlisonWonderland

OOOOOKKAAAYYYY thank you so much im still learning and asked the associate at petco what she thought for that size take and was given advice that obviously turned out to be wrong. I appreciate the knowledge
Yes ive never heard of what fully cycling a tank is... i just googled it... does it really take 2-6 weeks? also I literally bought everything including fish tuesday and put the fish in wednesday ( not the exact days but within that time frame) i didnt wait 2-6 weeks

Spudsssy

OOOOOKKAAAYYYY thank you so much im still learning and asked the associate at petco what she thought for that size take and was given advice that obviously turned out to be wrong. I appreciate the knowledge
Yes ive never heard of what fully cycling a tank is... i just googled it... does it really take 2-6 weeks? also I literally bought everything including fish tuesday and put the fish in wednesday ( not the exact days but within that time frame) i didnt wait 2-6 weeks

Happens to everyone... fishkeeping can be tuff starting off. Just take your time and do some research before trying again. Plenty of knowledgeable people here to help out.

Easiest way is to cycle tank without fish for 6 weeks (or whenever it's ready based on water readings).

Trust me fishkeeping is very easy and enjoyable once you understand the basics and get your first tank cycled!

Rick bose

I actually edited my post and added several more things. Read my earlier post as I added many more there.

And never trust petco, petsmart or even fish stores. They will most likely give you the wrong advice most of the times. In petco or petsmart the chances will be more as the employees don't know much about this hobby. Fish stores too often give wrong information. I think sometimes they give wrong informations by not knowing and sometimes deliberately as they don't care much about fish, it's business to them. So giving right information can discourage buyers. So they don't do that. If people knew that the fish they want need bigger tank, then some will just end up not buying anything. If people knew about the care this hobby needs, then also many people won't buy anything. So always do your own research. Before buying fish, plants or anything research. You can ask here in the forum about anything that you might need to know before buying.

Dechi

Cycling will take 4-6 weeks if you do it right. Meanwhile, as long as the tank isn’t cycled, any fish you put in it will die.

I agree 5 gallons is too small. Go bigger and it will be easier on you. There is a thread about how to do a fishless cyle on the forum. Look for it and follow it to the t.

Rick bose

Cycling will take 4-6 weeks if you do it right. Meanwhile, as long as the tank isn’t cycled, any fish you put in it will die.

I agree 5 gallons is too small. Go bigger and it will be easier on you. There is a thread about how to do a fishless cyle on the forum. Look for it and follow it to the t.
Since she has already bought the fishes and some of them are still alive, I don't think fishless cycle is an option unless she can return them. So her best bet will be cycling with fish.

Also I don't agree with what you said. Yiu said as long as the tank isn't cycled, it will not kill any fish put into the tank. Yes, if the tank is not cycled, then it will eventually kill the fishes. But if she starts cycling the tank with the fishes from now and do it properly, then it won't kill the fishes put inside the non-cycled tank. But she should start cyling as soon as possible, otherwise it will kill them too.

I too think fishless cycle is much better, humanely & risk- free than cycling with fish. But unless she can return them or give them to someone who has an established tank, she should start cycling with the fishes. If done properly, that will work too. Returning or giving them to someone with established tank is a great option too. She can then start fishless cycle.

I can give another shortcut if she can manage that. Go to any local fish store(not petco) and ask them to sell you a sponge filter or any bio media that is inside and being used in a running tank at that time. Don't buy if you are told they were inside just sometimes ago but just now they have been taken out. Make sure it is being taken out before your own eyes from an running tank with fishes. Make sure that the tank doesn't have any snail if don't want any snail in your tank and make sure the water looks clean & the fishes in the tank look healthy and active. Then it's supposed to be an instant cycle. I have personally done this thing. Not sure if that can be managed everywhere. You can take this from anyone else also if know someone who has a running established tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Glofish in 10g
Replies
Views
Hobbyist
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
FishPlanet