Glofish Info

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Zerologist, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Zerologist

Zerologist Well Known Member Member

Anyone here has ever experienced to take care of glofish? Can you provide some information about them?

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    There are 3 different varieties of GloFish. The Black Skirt Tetra, Tiger Barb and Zebra Danio varieties.
    All 3 varieties are man made fish and are not natural occurring.

Let's talk about the zebra Danio variety because they are the most common in most areas.

Like the normal Zebra Danios they get up to 2 inches a pop, meaning that they are good additions to decently sized community tanks. The preferred tempreture for these guys are in a range of 65-75 degrees farenhiet and a PH range of 6.5- 8.

Like all schooling fish they are preferred to be kept in at least groups of 6, so that way they will comfortable and safe. They will swim mostly in the middle-top region of the aquarium and are pretty fun to watch.

With the right tank size (minimum 15 gallon for a group, IMO) and the right care they can live up to 4-5 years.
    In terms of food, good quality fish flakes and the occasional brine shrimp or blood worm will do well.

3. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I have been keeping and breeding my Zebra Danio glofish long-term and can report that they almost without exception live for between 18 months to 2 years.

I feel they are better kept in a roomy 20 gallon in larger groups of 10-15 individuals to eliminate bullying which can occur in small groups.

4. OP
    OP
    Zerologist

Thanks for the info guys!

5. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Anytime! :) Thanks for the follow by the way! :)

6. OP
    OP
    Zerologist

Ur welcome!

7. K

KasiaM New Member Member

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice