GloFish help. I'm out of ideas with this one.

I've had my 6 GloFish for about 8 months now; they have their own 20 gal tank. Everything was going fine. Regular water changes. All my tests showed fine. Temp is good. They seemed like happy, heathy fish. However, one has recently gotten a little strange on me. Please note he is the only one this is happening to and it's been approximately 3 days.

He's not fully ingesting. He'll will eat a little with success but then as he continues to feed he'll start to spit out the food. He's also starting to thin probably due to the lack of eating. He has had a slight energy decrease and he's alternating hanging out at the bottom or hanging out at the top. He's not going midlevel hardly at all. He's still social with his tank mates when they're around but won't swim with them otherwise. Last night his gills were pinkish and now they are red. He's also passing stool just fine; it's seems consistent with how much he's ingesting.

Here is what's not wrong. His swimming is slow but other wise fine; no balance issues are present. He hasn't lost scales; there are no white spots. There is nothing wrong with his eyes, fins, or mouth. He's not gasping at the top. He's not being bullied. He's not rubbing. He's not constipated. He's not bloating.

Here's what I've done so far... I thought it could be ammonia poisoning at first. I went backwards through my tests and it's normal. I did a fresh batch of test on the water and all levels are normal. My tank isn't new but I dowsed the tank with some Cycle just in case I've missed something in my test. I also put in some stress coat. I've been watching my other fish for oddities but they're normal. He's the little guy so I've watched for bullying but again nothing. I checked against some other common fish ailments but nothing is matching up.

Any clues? I don't want my healthy fish to get whatever he's got and I don't want him to die.

Welcome to fishlore!!

Sorry to hear about your glofish.

How did you cycle your tank? If you just used Cycle then it is not cycled. Cycle contains the wrong kind of bacteria. If you can pick up a bottle of Tetra SafeStart that would work better.

What water conditioner are you using? I suggest Prime water conditioner.

What test kit are you using? The test strips are very inaccurate. People on this forum recommend the API Master Test Kit.

How often do you preform water changes? How much water do you change?

What else is in the tank with the glofish?

Welcome to fishlore!!

Sorry to hear about your glofish.

How did you cycle your tank? If you just used Cycle then it is not cycled. Cycle contains the wrong kind of bacteria. If you can pick up a bottle of Tetra SafeStart that would work better.

What water conditioner are you using? I suggest Prime water conditioner.

What test kit are you using? The test strips are very inaccurate. People on this forum recommend the API Master Test Kit.

How often do you preform water changes? How much water do you change?

What else is in the tank with the glofish?

Ummmm...fishingman...the OP answered almost all those questions already. The tank is cycled, parameters are fine, the tank is a species tank with just the glofish.

@ Jessica081...do you feed flakes or pellets? If you feed pellets, you can try soaking them in straight garlic juice (no oil) before feeding them. It helps boost the fish's immune system and most fish love the taste. Also, you can try feeding frozen (thawed) bloodworms to get the little guy to eat. Do you have any way you can separate the sick one out so you can feed him a special diet?

I usually cull fish that get sick like that. There's a reason it got sick when the others didn't.

@Fishman - Please reread my post for the majority of that. I don't change my additives since it's more harmful than not; I have 3 tanks and they all get the same things for ease. I use API mostly including the master test kit. Cycle is added when I do my water changes which are weekly at 20% due to bio load. I'd like non-commercial advice next time.

@bassbonediva - I'll try the garlic. I do use the HikarI micro pellets so that might work. I did separate him into his own container for a while but that seemed more stressful than good; he was looking for his tank mates. Maybe a tank separater? Maybe feeding all of them the special diet would prevent the others from getting sick.

@Jaysee - ...but I love my Kiwi. He's looking better this morning though, so that's a good sign. I'll check him after work.

Ummmm...fishingman...the OP answered almost all those questions already. The tank is cycled, parameters are fine, the tank is a species tank with just the glofish.

@ Jessica081...do you feed flakes or pellets? If you feed pellets, you can try soaking them in straight garlic juice (no oil) before feeding them. It helps boost the fish's immune system and most fish love the taste. Also, you can try feeding frozen (thawed) bloodworms to get the little guy to eat. Do you have any way you can separate the sick one out so you can feed him a special diet?

The OP said the water was fine...never mentioned a test kit. The OP said in the last paragraph that she put in Cycle "just in case." Cycle does not cycle a tank and the bacteria that it contains can beat out the aquatic bacteria so the tank never cycles. Yes she said she used Stress Coat but was wondering what else.

@Fishman - Please reread my post for the majority of that. I don't change my additives since it's more harmful than not; I have 3 tanks and they all get the same things for ease. I use API mostly including the master test kit. Cycle is added when I do my water changes which are weekly at 20% due to bio load. I'd like non-commercial advice next time.

What is non-commercial advise? The advise I gave you was to get more information. If you had said I do water change once a month then that might have been the problem. You said it might have been ammonia problems. That's why I suggested Prime...because it locks up ammonia. Cycle will not cycle you tank that is why I mentioned that.

Sorry if I came off as mean or rude in any of my posts.

I'm glad your glofish is doing better.

Last edited:

The OP said the water was fine...never mentioned a test kit. The OP said in the last paragraph that she put in Cycle "just in case." Cycle does not cycle a tank and the bacteria that it contains can beat out the aquatic bacteria so the tank never cycles. Yes she said she used Stress Coat but was wondering what else.

Alright, Fishingman001 is absolutley right about Cycle.

Jessica, LOTS of people come here with problems and say "my water is fine", and make other generalized statements. More often than not, there are problems that they are unaware of. It is standard operating procedure to get specific details. For example, "regular water changes" can mean ANYTHING from 10% each month to 50% each week.

When people don't provide specific information, they get a commercial response in oder to attain the information needed to help with the problem at hand. Please cut us some slack or people may not be so quick to try and help you with your problem(s).

I have a similar problem to the OP. Just one of my glofish is emaciated. Fishman suggested that it's because he's in a 10 gallon tank. I have received no other suggestions.

0/0/20 PH=7.6 Temp=79
I've recently added 3 Mystery snails to combat algae, but I doubt that matters.

Does this look like internal parasites? Bacterial? Spacemen coming down to suck out the appetite of my lil' ol' glofish?

So after no responses I went and picked up some "Jungle - Internal Parasite Guard" only to come home to an emaciated glofish coughing up what looked like blood. I changed out about 40% of the water, removed the carbon and added the chems as directed. About a half hour later I found him dead under some rocks. I hope the drugs prevent this from happening to the others.

aakaakaak- that sounds really bad, I don't know what that is.

@fishingman & Cycle, "land based" bacteria does not outperform natural aquatic nitrifying bacteria. If you have some kind of evidence that it does, then that would be good to share.

At the most, it uses the same resources that the natural aquatic bacteria use, but obviously it doesn't sustain itself and the natural bacteria will grow accordingly. It doesn't take the proper nitrifiers long to cover any increases as long as they are well established in the tank. This would explain why some people experience a minicycle after they stop using the product.

Sorry to stray a bit I just want to make sure that the information being shared is verifiable in some way.

we don't always know how old our fish are when we get them, we don't know what kind of care they received before us. It sounds like you did everything you could for your little baby and he had a happy healthy life while with you.

@fishingman & Cycle, "land based" bacteria does not outperform natural aquatic nitrifying bacteria. If you have some kind of evidence that it does, then that would be good to share.

At the most, it uses the same resources that the natural aquatic bacteria use, but obviously it doesn't sustain itself and the natural bacteria will grow accordingly. It doesn't take the proper nitrifiers long to cover any increases as long as they are well established in the tank. This would explain why some people experience a minicycle after they stop using the product.

Sorry to stray a bit I just want to make sure that the information being shared is verifiable in some way.

I'm just saying what other senior members have said in other posts about Cycle.

HI all. I come with links, not lore :

Other products may work, but here's what the guy above researched in a nutshell:

Bio-Spira and Tetra Safe start both use verifiable aquarium-based beneficial bacteria. Stability is also proven to work, but they refuse to divulge what type of bacteria they use. They are proven "fish-in" methods.

Saltwater:
Bio-Spira + Prime OR AquaSafe = WIN

Freshwater:
TSS OR Stability + Prime OR AquaSafe = WIN

(Hat tip to Bassbonediva, AKA Paige for the link)

Edit: Hey Fishman, I appreciate the attempt at helping my little fishie even though he died.

I have a male platy seeming to do the same thing as your Kiwi, Jessica801. He kind of just lies on the gravel and then floats next to the top of the heater. All day long. However, my tank isn't done cycling yet. If something significant happens to your fish, please post it here so I can read it and prepare for something possibly to come, or we can put our heads together to find a possible common problem in our tanks.:;b

x

Okay, GAME ON!

TT, I see you're familiar with the cycle and have an API test kit. You also state your cycle has not completed. What are your readings for:
Ammonia:
NitrIte:
NitrAte:
PH:
Temp:
Dechlorinator/Dechloraminator Product:

@Fishman: TAG! You're it!

I'm just saying what other senior members have said in other posts about Cycle.

I understand. I'm not trying to be confrontational on the subject I just want to make sure the statements being made are accurate and have real data behind them. People pull these threads up all the time through google searches, so I think it's important to really have some hard facts rather than falling back on hearsay.

It is often confusing looking through threads when there is lots of conflicting information, so it should be imperative to keep things as verifiable and accurate as possible.

Your statement could be completely true, but I haven't really found any evidence to lead to that conclusion.

Last edited:
I understand. I'm not trying to be confrontational on the subject I just want to make sure the statements being made are accurate and have real data behind them, I'm sure you can understand why.

I understand. Now I know the bacteria doesn't beat out aquatic bacteria. I can now share that with others.

HI all. I come with links, not lore :

Other products may work, but here's what the guy above researched in a nutshell:

Bio-Spira and Tetra Safe start both use verifiable aquarium-based beneficial bacteria. Stability is also proven to work, but they refuse to divulge what type of bacteria they use. They are proven "fish-in" methods.

Saltwater:
Bio-Spira + Prime OR AquaSafe = WIN

Freshwater:
TSS OR Stability + Prime OR AquaSafe = WIN

(Hat tip to Bassbonediva, AKA Paige for the link)

Edit: Hey Fishman, I appreciate the attempt at helping my little fishie even though he died.
Biospira is no longer made for freshwater, it is now TSS. If you find biospira for freshwater it is probably very expired.

Dr Tim's one and only is created by Dr. Hovanec, the same person who was on the biospira team, so I would use his product with confidence as well.

Stability, I've tested it a few times, and my results have been very mixed. I do believe that it serves some purposes nitrifying/denitrifying, and helps things get established, but it's definitely not a product that I would completely rely on and trust in to cycle the tank for me.

And finally, my favorite so far in testing has been the angelsplus active sponge filter, for multiple reasons. It works the same way as if I had a well established sponge filter and stuck it into a new tank. And at the end of the day, the only thing you have left with these bacteria boosters is an empty bottle, with the active filter, you have a good working sponge filter.

I've made some threads with tests on these products somewhere in the nitrogen cycle/water conditioners sections

Too much armchair quarterbacking about "the cycle". Not enough legitimate and definitive research. It'd be nice to answer every single question to cycling with a single link. I'm sure less fish would end up dead that way.

Edit: I'm glad you do your own research on the subject.

Edit2: That's why I listed Bio-Spira under Saltwater, as that's the only version that exists now. I'll have to look into that sponge filter deal.

Last edited:
Okay, GAME ON!

TT, I see you're familiar with the cycle and have an API test kit. You also state your cycle has not completed. What are your readings for:
Ammonia:
NitrIte:
NitrAte:
PH:
Temp:
Dechlorinator/Dechloraminator Product:

@Fishman: TAG! You're it!

I wish I could answer that atm. I'm at my dad's house currently, and my tank is at my mom's house (it really stinks, I miss my fish). I tested the water yesterday and the Ammonia was low, the Nitriate was 0, and the Nitrate was 0. The pH was 7.8ish I believe (I'm currently using the pH down stuff that is made by the same company as the kit). The temp was 76, and I do not use a dechlorinator. We can drink our tap water, so I don't think there's chlorine in it, but I could certainly be wrong.

I wish I could answer that atm. I'm at my dad's house currently, and my tank is at my mom's house (it really stinks, I miss my fish). I tested the water yesterday and the Ammonia was low, the Nitriate was 0, and the Nitrate was 0. The pH was 7.8ish I believe (I'm currently using the pH down stuff that is made by the same company as the kit). The temp was 76, and I do not use a dechlorinator. We can drink our tap water, so I don't think there's chlorine in it, but I could certainly be wrong.

A Mod should remove this other topic.

TropicalTommy, I would not use chemicals to adjust pH. Fish can and will adapt to different pH. Altering it can hurt your fish. Also why did you have ammonia in your tank? How was it cycled?

A Mod should remove this other topic.

TropicalTommy, I would not use chemicals to adjust pH. Fish can and will adapt to different pH. Altering it can hurt your fish. Also why did you have ammonia in your tank? How was it cycled?

It has not completed cycling yet.

It has not completed cycling yet.

Ahhhh.....well if no one has suggested, daily 30-50% water changes with Prime helps. Or TSS.

But chemicals that change pH should never be used. There are natural ways to change pH.

It sounds like you gave your fish a 1-2 punch of ammonia poisoning and chlorine poisoning to me. Most water our of tap has chlorine and chloramine in it. Both of which are hazardous to fish. Yes, we can drink it and swim in it. We also have a larger body mass to distribute those harmful chemicals. Fish can die with very little effort on our parts.

I agree 100% with what fishingman just said.

I agree completely with both of the above posters as well. If you aren't on well water then you most likely have chlorine or chloramine in the water. You might even be able to smell it coming out of the tap. Chlorine offgasses pretty quickly, but chloramine takes some time to break down.

Either of them can directly affect the fish in short order, without a water conditioner.

Thank you all for the advice. Now it's interesting though, as I only have the one fish that does this, and he's the biggest fish I have. I will certainly take you advice into serious consideration, but I just find it interesting that it's only one fish that does it. I even have little orange fry swimming around, and they don't seem to be affected at all.

Thank you all for the advice. Now it's interesting though, as I only have the one fish that does this, and he's the biggest fish I have. I will certainly take you advice into serious consideration, but I just find it interesting that it's only one fish that does it. I even have little orange fry swimming around, and they don't seem to be affected at all.

Take that as a good sign instead of a disregarding one and fix the problems before your other fish are affected.

(I've had full grown fish die on me while 10+ fry were happily swimming around.)

HI Tropical and !!!

I the Ammonia was low, the Nitriate was 0, and the Nitrate was 0.

I know you said your tank is cycled but your test results say otherwise With the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings that you have it sounds like your tank has not even started to cycle yet or is in the beginning stages. I had this same problem with my 10 gallon tank-it stayed like that for 3 months and is just now getting started and many fish died because I had no clue. They all passed one at a time and months apart even. Some fish are strong enough to make it through the cycle but I don't recommend starting a cycle this way. And since it sounds like your tank is similar, I would recommend using the Tetra Safe Start as that is the only thing that worked on mine. You can buy the smallest bottle, shake it up, pour it all in, wait 7 days -don't do any water changes or add ANY water conditioners. Test your water again a couple days after that. You should see some nitrites. After a couple more days test again and you should slowly start seeing nitrates and eventually you'll have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates which mean your cycle is complete. If your ammonia is still high (above 3 or 4) after the 7 days you should do a water change.

I know it's frustrating getting your tank cycled and healthy for your fish. But until you do this, your fish may possibly slowly die one at a time months apart like mine did.

Hope this helps!

Ummmm...fishingman...the OP answered almost all those questions already. The tank is cycled, parameters are fine, the tank is a species tank with just the glofish.QUOTE]

Ah, sorry I read the beginning and skipped some and got to the end...missed some parts in the middle. So sorry!

But my advice is still relevant.

lol, I should prolly go through and take the time to read everyone's responses a bit more carefully instead of skimming then. I'm horrible at that. Sorry if I repeated things that someone has already said. I just saw the water readings and especially since my tank is going through the same thing I felt the need to say something haha. I know how frustrating it is to lose fish one at a time and if I can help keep someone from going through the same frustrations and tormoil as I went through I will definitely try!

Well, that platy I was talking about died. I talked to my mom this afternoon and she said it died, but she didn't have the sense to take it out of the tank... she thought I might want to look at it. I said that's what a cup is for. Anyways, something is obviously not right in my tank and I need to fix it. I will get on that tomorrow night when I get back to my mom's if I can, as the quarter for school is ending and I have a large amount of HW + soccer. A trip to the LFS is in my future.

I just want to apologize for totally hijacking this thread. Is the fish that was originally being discussed still alive or no?

Last edited:
Top Bottom