Glofish Has Whitish "spot" On Her Side

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fish Newbie, Apr 13, 2017.

1. F

Fish Newbie New Member Member

This morning, when doing feeding and tank check, I noticed my big girl has a lighter colored spot on her side, she is very active, ate like she always does, and playing like normal, testing water now, no others seem to have this spot, is it a fungus or is she getting picked on? My quarantine tank has a male guppy I will be introducing to the other male guppy tank, should I move her over or just wait?

20 gallon long
    testing levels as we speak (5 minute wait time...)

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

Do you have a picture you could post? A white spot could be a lot of different things or it could be nothing - a pic would definitely help diagnosis :)

3. OP
    OP
    F

She does not stay still long enough! I will try

Testing is .25 ammonia (like 3 minutes after feeding) 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate, tank between 76 and 78 and she is just acting like her normal self...

[​IMG]

I will try for a better one, but it is right on her side, right below her fin

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  4. meyowmeow

I know they're quick lil buggers! I can't see the area in this pic :(

5. OP
    OP
    F

I will keep trying, I just do not want to stress her by putting her in a smaller containment

[​IMG]

I separated her and she does not stop. From the top it looks like a couple of scales are sticking out as well

6. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Are glofish dyed? Could it be dye flaking off?
    Edit: nevermind, I see they are not the dyed fish.

7. meyowmeow

Thanks for getting a pic :) From what i'm able to tell I would say she either A) just damaged herself from bumping or scraping on something or sustained some other damage or B) it could be a fungal infection.
    Since she is acting normal and your water parameters are pretty good I'd just keep a close eye on it for now and watch for any changes (good or bad). If it worsens I would look into a fungal treatment but if it begins to get better on its own it was probably just a minor injury. I hope looks better soon :)

no, they are not dyed. it is a genetic modification.

8. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Ok, I had to look that up and was going to edit my post. Thanks!

9. OP
    OP
    F

She is completely normal other than the spot, I always do a fin check at feedings with both tanks, make sure all is still well and they are still doing good as a whole. I will keep an eye on it and hope she just rubbed something wrong!

10. OP
    OP
    F

I went to my of lfs and they suggested maracyl plus, I will give it a try, wish her luck!

11. meyowmeow

thanks for the update! hope she feels better!

12. OP
    OP
    F

Sadly no, she passed away, the spot grew bigger and she just did not have enough fight left in her, I put her to rest with my roses in the front lawn, Sunset is missed right now

13. meyowmeow

I'm so sorry to hear that :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice