Glofish / Glowlight / Danios

punkrockviolet5

Are these fish dyed? They are so pretty but don't look real! I will not buy dyed fish, so I just wanna make sure... I'm thinking a Pearl Danio will be best. I KNOW he's not dyed!

Butterfly

No their not dyed. Their DNA has been altered by introducing DNA from Jellyfish. They were once used to detect pollution and are now sold to the public.
Carol

punkrockviolet5

Thank you! I still won't buy altered fish... poor little guys... I think the Pearl Danio will be my next addition... any other suggestions? I have a 10 gal with a Betta, and 2 Platties. They all get along really well.

COBettaCouple

punkrockviolet5 said:
Thank you! I still won't buy altered fish... poor little guys... I think the Pearl Danio will be my next addition... any other suggestions? I have a 10 gal with a Betta, and 2 Platties. They all get along really well.
Danios can be nippers if they're not in groups of 6 or more.. you might look at a couple corys or otos for that tank.

punkrockviolet5

Danios can be nippers if they're not in groups of 6 or more.. you might look at a couple corys or otos for that tank.
I don't want nippers in my tank!  Thanks for the heads up!  Otos, or Corys, huh?  I'l look into them.  Can I add more than one?  I already have 3 fish to put into it and I don't want to overcrowd my new tank!  I just got it yesterday!  It won't be ready for a couple more weeks, so I'll have to do my research.  Thanks for the tip!  Any other suggestions??

COBettaCouple

punkrockviolet5 said:
I don't want nippers in my tank! Thanks for the heads up! Otos, or Corys, huh? I'l look into them. Can I add more than one? I already have 3 fish to put into it and I don't want to overcrowd my new tank! I just got it yesterday! It won't be ready for a couple more weeks, so I'll have to do my research. Thanks for the tip! Any other suggestions??
You're at 6.5" of fish now. Otos and Corys are 1.5-2" each, so you could fit 2 in the tank without it being much over 10". those 2 fish are said to like 3 or more, but are happy with just 2, i've found. Both of those fish get along quite well with Bettas and Platys. Corys are a little hardier and clean up leftover food. Otos are more timid and clean up algae. can show you the many varieties of each of these catfish. Either would be a fun and peaceful addition to your tank.. we've had both kinds (in fact corys are part of why we went to flat marbles for the substrata) and loved them.

punkrockviolet5

I've looked into the Otos & Corys.  Great idea for algae eaters, but they're kinda drab and I'm looking for some color.  I think I've found other varieties that work well with Betta & Plattie.  Man!  There are actually quite a few!  I was told some are: Tetras, Barbs, Gouramis, & Loaches.  I'm thinking about getting 1Tiger Barb and 1 Rosy Barb.  Will they work well together??  Then the 'family' in my tank will be complete!   ;D

Butterfly

Barbs tend to need several of their own kind in a tank to feel secure. They can be nippers also if their stressed.
Carol

BoSox Fan7

What's the problem if the fish's dna was altered? I have glofish and they are really happy and they school with danios. Also, they are really fun to watch because of their cool color.

COBettaCouple

punkrockviolet5 said:
I've looked into the Otos & Corys. Great idea for algae eaters, but they're kinda drab and I'm looking for some color. I think I've found other varieties that work well with Betta & Plattie. Man! There are actually quite a few! I was told some are: Tetras, Barbs, Gouramis, & Loaches. I'm thinking about getting 1Tiger Barb and 1 Rosy Barb. Will they work well together?? Then the 'family' in my tank will be complete! ;D
yea, what Butterfly said.. did you see the panda corys or zebra otos.. there quite a variety of them and they really are a fun addition to a tank.

punkrockviolet5

Thank you!  I LOVE the Panda Corys!  I think 2 of them will work just fine!    I'm gonna wait a few weeks, though, till the other 3 are settled.  Then I'll add them.  I wanna make sure I've got everything right before I expose the new fishies.   :-*

Butterfly

Great idea punkrockviolet5
carol

COBettaCouple

punkrockviolet5 said:
Thank you! I LOVE the Panda Corys! I think 2 of them will work just fine! I'm gonna wait a few weeks, though, till the other 3 are settled. Then I'll add them. I wanna make sure I've got everything right before I expose the new fishies. :-*
sounds like a plan. gives you time to get a feeding plan going.. you don't want the betta to eat the algae wafers and platys (ours anyways) will just about eat the tank itself.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom