GloFish...Full of Eggs????

sndove48

Hello everyone! I need some advice/information about GloFish. I have 4 GloFish and 1 Albino Catfish. They are all in a 3 gallon tank. Not to worry...plenty of room for them to swim.

My question (or should I say, concern...) is that all of a sudden 1 of my GloFish got HUGE in the mid-section. Now I've done some reading, but I don't know if she is carrying eggs or if there is something wrong with her. She looks healthy...bright coloring, swims normal throughout the tank, and first one to the food when I feed them. If she is carrying eggs, how long does she carrying them? Poor thing looks like she is going to POP! I've attached a photo, but it's a little blurry.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You!!

Attachments

• glofish.jpg
    glofish.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 14,814
Last edited:

GemstonePony

Welcome to Fishlore!
They are all in a 3 gallon tank. Not to worry...plenty of room for them to swim.
FYI, The Danios will be 2.5-3" as adults and will feel very cramped in anything less than a 20gal due to their size and high energy level. The "albino catfish" might be an albino Cory- which should be kept in schools of at least 4 and in nothing smaller than a 10gal.- or it might a be an albino bristlenose pleco which should be kept in nothing smaller than a 20. Not upgrading the danios will cause them to jump out of the tank, and leaving the "catfish" in there will kill it with either stress or stunted growth..
If the female is under 2", she probably has worms or something... over it she might have eggs, but her size would give us a clue as to whether or not she might be mature enough.
I also noticed that you do not know about the nitrogen cycle -it is incredibly important to successful fishkeeping. the words should be underlined in blue, clicking on them will take you to an explanation.

BettaBuddy

She looks healthy...bright coloring, swims normal throughout the tank, and first one to the food when I feed them.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You!!

The bright coloring is not an indication that he/she is doing well. Those fish have been genetically modified so I doubt their coloring has to do with health:

"The difference between regular zebra danios and glofish are that researchers in Singapore added a fluorescence gene from a sea coral to zebra danio eggs to produce glofish. This gene causes the genetically modified fish to fluoresce or light up in the presence of environmental toxins."
From

It looks like a tumor to me.

sndove48

Hmmm...when I went to the fish store, they said that I could put all these fish in a 3 gallon tank without a probelm. They are only about 1-1.25" long. Maybe they are not really GloFish then. :-\ I guess the best bet would to go back to the store and see what they say then, right? I've had these fish for over a year...they even made it through my move. I hope nothing is wrong with her, but their personalities are just as frisky as when I first bought them. I'm so confused.

Thanks for your advice and I will check out the nitrogen cycle link you sent.

sndove48

A tumor??? :'( Oh no! Now what? If it is a tumor, can this harm the other fish in the tank?

BettaBuddy

Hmmm...when I went to the fish store, they said that I could put all these fish in a 3 gallon tank without a probelm. They are only about 1-1.25" long. Maybe they are not really GloFish then. :-\ I guess the best bet would to go back to the store and see what they say then, right? I've had these fish for over a year...they even made it through my move. I hope nothing is wrong with her, but their personalities are just as frisky as when I first bought them. I'm so confused.

They are very active fish, they need the 20 gallons so they have a lot of room to swim. 3 gallons may look like a lot to you, but to a fish, it's more like a small room. It's like only being allowed in one room of your house. You'd go crazy if you had to live in a box. I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, just trying to help. It's just a more appropriate home for them to have a 20 gallon, or even a 10 gallon.

piloswine

DO NOT trust what fish stores have to say about stocking

Amanda

They're def glofish. But they should be in a 10 gal MINIMUM

BettaBuddy

A tumor??? :'( Oh no! Now what? If it is a tumor, can this harm the other fish in the tank?

If it's a tumor, it's not contagious, so no it can't spread to the others. But since it's all lumpy looking, I think it's a tumor. there's not anything you can do for it if that's what it is. Just make it comfortable and give it the best life possible.

sndove48

Grrr...fish stores!!! No worries BettaBuddy! I'm trying to figure all this out. I've had fish growing up here and there, but I've trusted the fish stores because I had not idea about these fish forums. I feel helpless and I don't know how to fix the fish.

sndove48

Guess I'm going to the store and buying a bigger tank. Thanks everyone for your advice and info.

I was told that these fish need to be in an air-filtered tank at all times and max time without a filter is like 5 hours. Is this true? I'm trying to plan for the bigger tank...set-up and all that stuff so it's an easy transition for them.

Amanda

Why would you EVER turn ouff your filter?!

BettaBuddy

Guess I'm going to the store and buying a bigger tank. Thanks everyone for your advice and info.

I was told that these fish need to be in an air-filtered tank at all times and max time without a filter is like 5 hours. Is this true? I'm trying to plan for the bigger tank...set-up and all that stuff so it's an easy transition for them.

I haven't heard that about the filter thing. Could you get the bigger tank and move everything over in the same day? What kind of filter are you using now? Check craigslist before paying store prices. You might be able to save a few bucks on a new tank and it will come with extras.

BettaBuddy

Why would you EVER turn ouff your filter?!

I'm guessing they mean to move the filter over to the new tank? Like set up the new tank and THEN move the fish over.

sndove48

No...no...nooo...I would NEVER turn off the filter. I'm just saying that's what I was told. I guess the store lady was trying to say that they wouldn't survive in a tank without a filter, like a Beta or something. I've had Beta's before and they were not in a filtered tank.

I have a Whisper tank by Tetra and I'm currently using the Bio-Bag Disposable Filter Cartridges.

BettaBuddy

No...no...nooo...I would NEVER turn off the filter. I'm just saying that's what I was told. I guess the store lady was trying to say that they wouldn't survive in a tank without a filter, like a Beta or something. I've had Beta's before and they were not in a filtered tank.

I have a Whisper tank by Tetra and I'm currently using the Bio-Bag Disposable Filter Cartridges.

I see what you mean. Yeah, they need filtration to survive.

matt6765

You may want to try feeding him or her a shelled pea to try and help digestion. What are your water perimeters?

sndove48

I don't know what the perimeters are.

A shelled pea? How exactly do I get the fish to eat that??

BettaBuddy

I don't know what the perimeters are.

A shelled pea? How exactly do I get the fish to eat that??

Parameters are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. You can test them with the API Master Test Kit for Freshwater tanks.

You take one pea, cook it (put it in boiling water from the microwave if frozen) then take the shell off (the thick skin). Take a small knife and chop the pea up into TINY pieces so the fish doesn't choke. Then just drop it into the tank and it will sink. The fish will recognize it as food and go after it.

sndove48

I'll be picking up a API Master Test Kit when I get the 10 gallon tank too. Thanks for the info about the pea. I would not have thought of that.

Brainlady

sndove48.
I know you are doing the best you can for your fish. We have all been duped by the LFS down the street..... you would not believe the things I have done on their advice.
I have some Balloon Mollys which I adore, but I didn't know.... cos I didn't do my research, that they are also genetically modified fish. No matter, whatever the fish it deserves our love and care.
I have Zebra Danios in a 55 gallon tank.... they are glofish that have not been modified. May I suggest getting a larger tank, keep reading on FL and don't be hard on yourself because like all new people at this game called Fish-keeping mistakes happen.

sndove48

Thanks Brainlady...this is so tough. I'm trying to give these fish the best life they can have, but I was unaware the type of fish I was getting. I got them cuz they were different from all the other fish and really pretty to look at. I've had the "carnival" goldfish and Beta fish, but that's really all I'm familar with. I'm reading up on the GloFish and trying to fix the situation. I wish I would've known about this website BEFORE I got them so I could've made myself better prepared for what they needed.

SimplyxSamantha

Thanks Brainlady...this is so tough. I'm trying to give these fish the best life they can have, but I was unaware the type of fish I was getting. I got them cuz they were different from all the other fish and really pretty to look at. I've had the "carnival" goldfish and Beta fish, but that's really all I'm familar with. I'm reading up on the GloFish and trying to fix the situation. I wish I would've known about this website BEFORE I got them so I could've made myself better prepared for what they needed.

Don't worry I was there too. I had 4 platys in a 6 gallon tank because I was told it'd be okay for awhile. And I had no idea about the nitrogen cycle either. The best thing about learning now is you can correct most mistakes and even start teaching others.

I ALWAYS ask FL now before even asking LFS employee's opinons. Though I must admit that some are very honest. There are two at my local Pecto that almost hound customers trying to get them to do the right thing. The best thing to do to throw the ones that are trying to sell false information off their game is too bring up stuff like the nitrogen cycle and other information that they try to keep hidden.
Then it's a whole different story, most of the time. The other times they will push it off and say you are wrong.

sndove48

Thanks SimplyxSamantha!

AirstoND

Eggs or Worms

A glofish of mine looked large but it died and I did not pierce it to determine if they were eggs. I heard if they don't spawn, the eggs will stress kill it.

Top Bottom