Glofish fry colours

Andy S

Before I ask the question, yes, I am aware that glofish are patented and breeding them leaves you open to being sued. I'm in Europe where they are banned anyway.
I'm just interested to know - Glofish are genetically modified to produce the different colour strains and to glow in the dark and we have 6 or 7 different colours. I'm told that they breed true, i.e. if you have for example a male red zebra danio glofish and it spawned with a red female zebra danio the offspring would all be red. Likewise a pair of green zebra danio glofish will always produce green offspring etc etc. What happens if you have a male and a female which are different colours, red male and yellow female for example, what offspring would they produce? Is one colour more dominant, would you get all one colour offspring, would you get a mix of the two, some red and some yellow or would they revert to their natural silver and blue forms?
I'm not planning to try, just intrigued. Somebody must have had this happen even if only an accidental spawning.

BigManAquatics

From what i have read, if the parents are 2 different colors, the offspring will come out one color or the other. If a glofish breeds with a normal fish of the species, offspring may come out normal, glofish color, or the 2 can be mixed and look like some sort of hybrid, like the danios stripes are a lot more vibrant than a typical danio.

As far as the patent stuff, you should only possibly get in trouble for selling, bartering or giving the glofish away.

Upvote 0

Mochica

They breed true. If they spawn, you'll either get male colour fry, female colour fry, OR NO colour fry (just transparent). MALE colour is more dominant.
Here's an example of what purple and clear fry look like. They all die from an illness though. All of them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210417-042453_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-042453_Video Player.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Andy S

From what i have read, if the parents are 2 different colors, the offspring will come out one color or the other. If a glofish breeds with a normal fish of the species, offspring may come out normal, glofish color, or the 2 can be mixed and look like some sort of hybrid, like the danios stripes are a lot more vibrant than a typical danio.

As far as the patent stuff, you should only possibly get in trouble for selling, bartering or giving the glofish away.
Thanks for that, my knowledge of genetics is abysmal but what you say make perfect sense, with 2 different colour glofish one of the colours is likely to be dominant compared to the other but presumably all the offspring will carry the recessive gene. What would be interesting would be to breed these first generation single colour fish with each other, maybe you would get 3/4 the dominant colour and 1/4 the recessive colour?
They breed true. If they spawn, you'll either get male colour fry, female colour fry, OR NO colour fry (just transparent). MALE colour is more dominant.
Here's an example of what purple and clear fry look like. They all die from an illness though. All of them
Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thanks for that, my knowledge of genetics is abysmal but what you say make perfect sense, with 2 different colour glofish one of the colours is likely to be dominant compared to the other but presumably all the offspring will carry the recessive gene. What would be interesting would be to breed these first generation single colour fish with each other, maybe you would get 3/4 the dominant colour and 1/4 the recessive colour?

Thanks for the reply.
I am sure someone has done this by now-they have been around lomg enough and people get bored-would be interesting to read the results.

Upvote 0

Andy S

I am sure someone has done this by now-they have been around lomg enough and people get bored-would be interesting to read the results.
I'm sure you are right; Zebra Danios are so easy to breed I'm sure somebody has done this and a whole lot more and knows the answer to my questions. I'm convinced there are people who subscribe to this site who have done it but are reluctant to go public due to the patent.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I'm sure you are right; Zebra Danios are so easy to breed I'm sure somebody has done this and a whole lot more and knows the answer to my questions. I'm convinced there are people who subscribe to this site who have done it but are reluctant to go public due to the patent.
Yeah, thought about that. As long as the fish didn't leave possessiin though, should be fine. Might be something best found digginf through official glofish stuff if public. They wouldn't have to worry at all about patent stuff.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom