Glofish fight during storms

Cassy

I have a tank of glofish and whenever the weather starts to get bad they become very aggressive to each other. Normally they school and the tetras school. Life in tank is happy but I've noticed during storms the barbs attack each other. Is there a way to stop it? I closed the windows it didnt seem to help. I dont like to see them fight. They usually act like one big family.

Best Answer - View Flyfisha's answer

Flyfisha

Hi Cassy,
I suspect what you are seeing is a direct result of falling barometric pressure . A thunderstorm or “bad weather “ is one of the major triggers to spawning. The tetras are not just being aggressive they are dancing a mating dance. If that means the boys have to show off to the girls a bit then that is what you are seeing.
Spawning and the dance are one of the highlights of keeping fish.

After the rain there will be fresh water and plenty of food for fry. ?

Cassy

I feed them three times a day at 9am 3pm and 7pm and lights are on from 9am to 10pm. Should I feed them extra in storm? How can I prevent the barbs from being mean I have three orange and 2 green the green ones are smaller and get picked on. They lip locked the other night at first I thought they were showing love but they seemed angry. I just want my fish to be happy. Were I live it storms at least once a week. They are little Angel's normally its only during storms. Is there anything I can do to help them?

Flyfisha

You have 3 species of mid level schooling fish but not enough of any one school. You don’t say how big the tank is so I can’t recommend 3 bigger schools. As the fish grow older you may have more problems as they mature.

I think the lesson is one big school next time .

Adding anything to help block the line of sight might help the smaller fish get out of sight.

I don’t think feeding 3 times in one day is a good practice. That will not help the water quality.
Speaking of water quality do you know the water parameters ? Many Shops test water for free.

SnookusFish

yep, Flyfisha is right, its just breeding displays. storms always make fish behave differently. i even had a fish egg hatch in the middle of a storm.

Cassy

Flyfisha said:
You have 3 species of mid level schooling fish but not enough of any one school. You don’t say how big the tank is so I can’t recommend 3 bigger schools. As the fish grow older you may have more problems as they mature.

I think the lesson is one big school next time .

Adding anything to help block the line of sight might help the smaller fish get out of sight.

I don’t think feeding 3 times in one day is a good practice. That will not help the water quality.
Speaking of water quality do you know the water parameters ? Many Shops test water for free.
I just have two species barbs and tetras there all different colors I have one of every color tetra (6) and then two different colors of barbs glofish's website said the were fine together. The tetras all school and the barbs school normally even tho there different colors. The species dont school together. I have 37 gallon octangulor tank. I have a api freshwater master kit so I check my water level. I have a floating plant on top my tank it tanks a lot of nitrate out of tank supposuable. I got it from a sketchy fish store some of there fish had ick (so I didnt buy any) but all the plants looked fine and I washed it off and had ot float alone In a tote of ph7 level water for a week before I put it in. The glofish bottle says to feed them up to three times a day so I've always done the most I dont give them much at a time. I dont think the species or room is the problem there fine unless its storming not rain like actual storms. I just wondered if I did something like put on music or turned off there lights or something if they would be more comfortable. I'm relatively new at owning fish and would love some tips if there's anything special you do during storms

Thank you

toeknee

As mentioned it's just mating behavior. It's not really anything to worry about. My peppered corys go bonkers with breeding activity right before a storm hits because of the falling barometric pressure. There's nothing you can really do to prevent this from happening.

Cassy

toeknee said:
As mentioned it's just mating behavior. It's not really anything to worry about. My peppered corys go bonkers with breeding activity right before a storm hits because of the falling barometric pressure. There's nothing you can really do to prevent this from happening.
Okay thank you!

Top Bottom