Glofish Danio fighting with each other

notwabbitseason

My Glofish get along with other species but they keep fighting amongst themselves. They try and fin nip and are constantly chasing each other.

They're in a group of 5 and they're driving me nuts.

e_watson09

Its pretty normal for them to be nippy. It tends to calm down the bigger group you have and the more space they have. What size tank is this and what are your water parameters

notwabbitseason

Its pretty normal for them to be nippy. It tends to calm down the bigger group you have and the more space they have. What size tank is this and what are your water parameters
I wouldn't want to add more and have them act the same way. There are some females so it could happen the natural way if the fry live. I have a 30 gallon tank right now. Also... probably not what anyone wants to hear, but I haven't checked the water yet. I've been doing multiple 30-50% water changes and doing quick start and water conditioner to the tank every couple of days. The betta has even blown bubble nests so I assume the water is good. I'll get a sample into petco/petsmart after the holidays though.

mattgirl

I wouldn't want to add more and have them act the same way. There are some females so it could happen the natural way if the fry live. I have a 30 gallon tank right now. Also... probably not what anyone wants to hear, but I haven't checked the water yet. I've been doing multiple 30-50% water changes and doing quick start and water conditioner to the tank every couple of days. The betta has even blown bubble nests so I assume the water is good. I'll get a sample into petco/petsmart after the holidays though.
I hate to break it to you but it is very unlikely you will end up with danio fry. They are egg scatterers. I feel sure your corys will feast on the eggs. Quite often upping the numbers will calm down nippy behavior but that can't be guaranteed. Sometimes one ends up with one or two that just won't play nice.

jpm995

Their relentless and sometimes chase each other all day long. Is there 'visual breaks' such as tall pieces of driftwood so they can 'hide' a little bit, tall plants also give them hide outs. If their fins aren't too damaged the'll probably be ok. Mine [actually just one] chase my rasboras as well as each other. I have a heavily planted 55 gal so its not much of an issue.

e_watson09

Based on your other post with your stocking I highly highly doubt you'll have successful danio breeding. They scatter their eggs and between the betta and the cories they'll make quick work of it.

I would go out and get a liquid test kit. This way you can track parameters now, if things are off that would also explain the nippy behavior of the danios. Then also regular testing can help you down the road. I personally don't test all of my tanks all the time to be honest but they're now very well established (as in YEARS) I test the water maybe every other week or so. When they were new tanks I did it a couple times a week.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
hpt84
  • Question
Replies
Views
JettsPapa