Glofish Danio Dying?

Corythetallguy

Good morning all!

I am here today because my Glofish Danios keep dying and I'm looking for some help.

I purchased a new 32.5 gallon Fluval tank roughly two weeks ago. I dechlorinated with seachem prime and began using Seachem stability in the tank.

I only cycled for a couple days checking my levels daily. On day three my PH was at 7, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates at 0.

I went and bought 6 glofish Danio who seemed to be doing fine that night. The next morning I get up and one fish has disappeared and another had an eyeball bitten out and his fin ripped up. The other 4 seemed fine.

I tested my levels which were all still within range and searched fruitlessly for the missing fish and brought the dead guy back for an exchange. Since I was down to 4 fish and read that smaller numbers of danio can become aggressive.

I exchanged the injured fish and got three more for a total of 8 in the tank now.

The morning of day 4 (Now at 6 days total since adding the original fish) I wake up to three more fish dead. While removing them from the tank I notice that the original one who has gone missing is now floating at the top of the tank as well and removed him too.

I tested my water again and my PH is at 7.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0. Brought the fish back to the pet store and they tested my levels again confirming that they were fine. I exchanged for another three Danios.

So I'm back to 8 fish in the tank on July 4th. The morning of July 5th there are still 8 fish and they all seem to be doing fine. Evening of July 5th and one Danio is missing again. Morning of July 6th and the one that was missing the night before is floating around dead in the tank. One more fish is missing and my levels are still fine.

What the **** am I doing wrong? I have been religiously testing my water parameters with the API master kit. I am feeding them tetra tropical flakes which they seem to be eating, my water temp is 78F.

I'm very confused and disheartened. I realize I didn't cycle the tank for the full duration but all my levels are fine and the Seachem stability says I can add fish anytime as long as I'm doing the 7 day cycle properly and my levels are good.

I want to add 8 glofish tetras down the line but I can't even keep the 8 danios alive for more than a couple of days. I fear that if I wait a couple more days they will just keep dying off and I'm at a loss on what to do now.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bcsay720

I'm sorry about your fish. I have a few things and questions here:

1. Glofish are notoriously prone to health problems due to the way they're bred to keep the "glo" gene.

2. Cycling your tank is a big thing. I recommend doing 25-50% water changes every time your ammonia level goes above .25 ppm.

3. What are you using to test your water? If it's the test strips, then I highly recommend a liquid test kit, as the strips can be very inaccurate.

Upvote 0

Corythetallguy

I am using the API master test kit with the vials. No strips.

I have not had a test read anything other than 0 for Nitrites, Ammonia, or Nitrates. I am following the API instructions including the 30 second shake on Bottle 2 for nitrates and the 1 minute vial shake.

I hadn't even considered a partial water change yet as my levels are all well within parameters (confirmed by the pet shop twice now) and the fish have only been in the tank for a total of 6-8 days or so? Should I do a partial change anyways?

As for glofish having health problems, are there any forum members who are successful at keeping them? Any resources or past forum threads where I could maybe glean some tricks to keeping them?

Upvote 0

pagoda

Unfortunately and even with Stability being used, a "fish in cycle" as you are doing takes many many weeks to achieve.

You might want to read this that has been done by mattgirl

Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Forum | 414083

An average fish in cycle can take anything upto and beyond 10 weeks...not a couple of days.

As has already been stated, the Glofish is a very fragile animal thanks to being genetically messed with to get those totally unnatural colours. As a result their lifespan is significantly shorter than fish without the jellyfish genes, they are extremely prone to water chemistry issues (such as during the cycle) and are equally prone to illness and sudden death.

Upvote 0

Corythetallguy

Unfortunately and even with Stability being used, a "fish in cycle" as you are doing takes many many weeks to achieve.

You might want to read this that has been done by mattgirl

Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Forum | 414083

An average fish in cycle can take anything upto and beyond 10 weeks...not a couple of days.

As has already been stated, the Glofish is a very fragile animal thanks to being genetically messed with to get those totally unnatural colours. As a result their lifespan is significantly shorter than fish without the jellyfish genes, they are extremely prone to water chemistry issues (such as during the cycle) and are equally prone to illness and sudden death.

I read the post by Mattgirl and I had a question about levels. Is it possible for levels to spike and then normalize before I get there with my test?

I ask because obviously something is causing the fish to die. From all the info I've read my tank is not fully cycled. Fish keep showing up dead.

Yet when I do my master test all levels are at 0. How do I know to partial change if my levels are at 0? Or do I just do it anyways because I'm losing fish?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I am sorry to hear you have gotten off to such a rocky start. You may want to consider returning all the glo-fish and either fishless cycle this tank or get different fish to do the fish in cycle. Some fish need a cycled tank to thrive. The glo-fish may not be the best fish to use for a fish in cycle.

Should you decided to continue fish in cycling you may want to consider getting at least 2 but maybe even 3 common/feeder goldfish. With this size tank 3 should provide enough ammonia. I would change out most of the water that is in the tank right now before adding the goldfish. We want to start the cycle with fresh water.

Should you decide to do this make sure the fish store will take the goldfish back once the cycle is done. If all goes as it should it will take about 6 weeks for this tank to be ready to remove the goldfish and get your forever fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Rick bose
Replies
Views
Kroosa
Replies
Views
Evercrisp