Glofish companions in 20 gallon tank?

Zia
Posted earlier about Glofish companions in 10 gallon tank. Found a 20 gallon setup on freecycle and am moving my fishlessly settled tank over now. (No_small_task.)

Daughter now happily sees glofish on horizons. What kind of company can a school of 6 have in a 20 gallon setup? I am thinking some small corys or an otto or a snail, as I'd like some help with algae control. What else would make a good companion?

Meenu
otos and cories are both schooling fish. Cories don't really eat algae, but they are awesome fish. Both are sensitive to water conditions. Cories should go into a cycled tank only. Otos should go into a cycled tank that has been running for several months and already has algae.

Honestly, Zia, if I were you, I would get a school of 6 pygmy cories, but only after the tank's been cycled for several weeks, maybe about a month.

Zia
Well, I guess I have a long time to decide! A point in the future where my 10 gallon is moved to my 20 gallon, and my 20 gallon is cycled, and I'm not paranoid about green-dot algae, and I've actually put a single fish in the tank seems verrrrrrry farrrrr away!

Meenu
You'll get there before you know it. It gives you tons of time to research.

Elodea
A word of caution about snails: NEVER GET APPLE OR MYSTERY SNAILS! EVER!

I have one in my tank hoping it would help eat the algae. Wrong! It started munching down my beloved anacharis, but completely ignored the algae. And it has a huge bioload.

Snails are mainly used for two reasons: to eat uneaten fish food or eat algae.

If you want to take care of the algae, I highly recommend nerite snails. Though they are rather small, rare, and expensive, they are amazing little algae eaters.

The rarer Tylomelania snails are more eye-catching and do not eat plants, a good substitue for apple snails.

Though many people consider Malaysian Trumpet Snails as pests, they are actually very beneficial for the tank, eating leftover fish food and aerating th gravel. If you complain that hey're overrunning the tank, stop overfeeding. As long as your fish are not overfed, MTS populations will not explode and take over your tank; they will stay in beneficial numbers.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom