Glofish bulged

Bpkeeper

I have an odd question. My son has 4 glofish. All purchased at the same time. One of the fish is significantly larger than the rest. Now, the fish has a bulged belly as well as eyes. I have done some reading on fish diseases and noticed that the eyes being cloudy does happen. This fish has crystal clear eyes....thoughts?

DIYbetta

Could you tell us your parameters? Did you cycle the tank? For how long?

Bpkeeper

The tank has cycled yet doesn't show any nitrites or nitrates. These fish have been in the tank for about a month. 10 gallon tank

DIYbetta

Did they tell you what kind of fish they were?

FinalFins

Hmm. Is there ammonia in the tank? With a cycled tank there should be nitrates. Except in few cases where the tank is heavily planted and lightly stocked.

Bpkeeper

There is a small amount of ammonia. I have test strips which show the level as being safe. They (petco) just called them glofish.

Bpkeeper

I am new to aquariums so I could have the whole cycle phase backwards in my mind lol

FinalFins

that specific glofish looks like the skirt tetra varient.

if you need a reminder what cycing is, in your aquarium, you don't just have fish. there is also bacteria. That bacteria is good. you want it. It turns fish waste into something safe. You remove the safe stuff which builds up, slowly becoming harmeful using water changes.

Cycling is the process of building these bacteria colonies.

Bpkeeper

I do understand about the good bacteria. Are the test strips the best way to determine what point the cycle is at? And do you think that fish has issues, or may be carrying eggs?

FinalFins

Well it depends. What is the tank size?
Filtered? Heated?

Bpkeeper

10 gallon. Filtered. Heated to 80 degrees

FinalFins

I think it may be bloat.

The reading of ammonia and no nitrates?

I think your tank isn't cycled.

Bpkeeper

Is there a cure for bloat?

DIYbetta

FinalFins

Clean water and maybe live daphnia/BBS

I suggest daily 25% water changes. Maybe that will bring down bloat.

Bpkeeper

Ok. I was doing 25 percent about three times a week and always treating with prime. I will start doing daily changes. Fast, means no feeding correct? Sorry for all the questions! You have been great with replies!

FinalFins

fasting for 3 days and see what happens.

Bpkeeper

Ok. I assume that the other fish will starve in that time, correct? I don't have another tank to move this fish into. After looking at pictures I'm thinking this fish has dropsy. Do you have experience treating that?

FinalFins

yes you fast the whole tank

Bpkeeper

Ok. Ill give it a shot. Thank you!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom