GloFish Breeding?

1. John Hutch Member Member

Hi All,

I have begun planning my 30g long tank my kids got me for my birthday last year. I am so interested in the glofish I have seen on AB and in the pet stores.

One question I have is has anyone ever had glofish eggs in their tanks and did any hatch?

Also what kind of fish can go with them?

thanks in advance for all your answers.

John

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Glofish are Zebra Danios. They have just been genetically modified to "glow" research Zebra Danios for the information you are looking for. :D

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Breeding glofish is expressly forbidden without written consent. The fish have micro chips to alert the company when they spawn, so that they can come check on you to make sure you are not selling them.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Uhh, paranoid much?

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The fish police are real!

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Big Fish Brother!?! Also, I think they modified glofish eyes to function as cameras, watching your every move.

7. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I've heard tell that most glofish are sterile due to the modified genes, but I don't know if that is true or not. Also I have no idea how the different colors would come out on the fry.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm, very interesting point, about the colors. Perhaps they follow the normal dominant/recessive dynamic?

9. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I actually think only a few colors still have patents on them. I know the green is one and I also believe the new blue and purple do as well hints those are the more expensive colors. I think the pink and orange do not have patents on them anymore.

10. xNick Member Member

As long as you don't make a profit off it (or give them to your LFS) there will be no issue...

11. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

You can breed them for personal use. You cannot breed them for experimentation or for sale.
    I do not believe that the trademark on any of them has been allowed to lapse. I could be wrong there, though.

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;laughing:;rl:;nw

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

This thread brings back memories of discussing fishy birth control a while back.
    A glofish rep chimed in on a breeding thread. lol

14. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh my I remember the birth control one...dont remember the rep tho :;laughing

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't remember the birth control thread...... did I have a hand in it? :)

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

17. John Hutch Member Member

Yeah ok...Jaysee stop drinking the aquarium water...:;toast. LOL jk.

18. John Hutch Member Member

Thank you all for your creative and informative answers...LOL.. you guys are the best. I checked out AB and couldnt find any sellers of glofish so I guess the patents still stands. I am still going to buy them at Petsmart and get the tank setup. Pictures to follow.

TTYL all.

19. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Just wanted to come back after some research. All I could find is that breeding is prohibbited due to license restrictions. Then it also says they try to make them sterile before they leave.

20. fresh water Member Member

I have about 20 glowfish in with some adult Angelfish, They seem to get along very well. I have had the glow fish for over a year but have not seen any spawning activity, The owner at the LFS said the same thing as was mentioned above that most are sterile