Glofish bettas

bettas&cories

Member
HI all, I don’t think I posted on here in almost a year, between getting married buying an
house and getting moved in and still not having internet, I guess I'm a little out of the loop. Today as I was walking through my local PetSmart I saw something that equally caught my eye and freaked me out. The glofish people have made glowing bettas! I only saw a yellow green color with equally Sharpie highlighter green eyes. My first thought was that’s sorta neat I guess but it also looks like the zombie apocalypse taking its form through our beloved betta fish. I’m sure this probably isn’t an all together new thing but it’s new to me because I haven’t been kept up with a lot of news in the fish world. I was wondering , what’s everyone’s opinion on glofish bettas? Personally, I’m not a fan of any glofish because of their eyes, when I worked for a chain pet store I noticed their eyes never stop glowing, even after they die. That honestly freaked me out, but the betta fish look like zombie fish to me. Not really my thing but I wanna know what do you think of a glowing green betta fish?
 

kbn

Member
Is the whole body glowing or just the eyes or a single stripe? If it's not the whole body or it's just on parts which would be transparent on a normal fish, it means the dye has been injected into he fish which I don't support as it's inhuman. If the whole body is like that, it means it's genetically modified.

Bettas look best when they're not glowing. Their beauty is lost if they're turned into glofish. To me atleast
 
  • Thread Starter

bettas&cories

Member
I assume they’re genetically modified like other glofish.
 

kbn

Member
Yes
 

AJE

Member
It looks pretty neat if I saw one and I actually wanted a betta and if it was cheap I might get one. But probably none of the three will happen
 

MacZ

Member
Please stop right here, somebody else opened this discussion a few days ago, it went down badly and the thread was not only closed but deleted. Please leave it be.
 

Amazoniantanklvr

Member
Boo, boo, boo.
Who would want to ruin the already over breed betta?
 

MacZ

Member
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Boo, boo, boo.
Who would want to ruin the already over breed betta?
Don't.... please... don't. I feel like talking down the Hulk...
 

aussieJJDude

Member
Shame you didn't grab a pic!


I love glofish, and a glofish betta would be awesome since they probably one of the only glofish that can live ih those small tacky tanks.

You can't get glofish in aus, otherwise I would have loved one (or more!)
 

stopwhiningsadie

Member
why
 

Pythia

Member
may be because of genes
 

Crispii

Member
For profit and to attract children.
 

CoryBoi

Member
if they are going to create more glofish anyways this is one of the best fish to do so with because,
When you think about it it’s better to have globettas than a fish that needs to be in groups of 6+ and a tank of at least 20 gallons, because they sell 3 gallon tanks for the danios, Tiger barbs, skirt tetras, sharks also. So it’s better to have the employees recommend a glo betta for your 3 gal then a glo shark. I think they are ugly though. But it might be cool to have a sorority of them.
 

Ebreus

Member
GloBetta because glow is a easy and fairly well known modification that is readily apparent on even cursory examination. As unattractive as GloBettas are GloFish has at least done something right with them: They recommend that the Betta has an aquarium, I've checked and the cheap/lazy option for aquariums is generally 5 gal.

I do hope gene modification for fish goes further than just adding bio-luminescence to everything. It would be impressive to see a strain of Bettas that're mellow enough to be considered community fish.
 

Debbie1986

Member
Hard pass for me. I really like my glofish tetras, nice color pops. But to the the beauty of the betta is their fins and then colors. Day glo betta isn't a selling point for me. Now black, midnight blue, koi... ohhh sign me up!! Platinum, sun rose gold, oh yeah!
 

Rev

Member
Ebreus said:
I do hope gene modification for fish goes further than just adding bio-luminescence to everything. It would be impressive to see a strain of Bettas that're mellow enough to be considered community fish.
Bettas absolutely can be community fish. It just depends on tank size, what they're with, and their temperament. Apart from the super aggressive ones most should be okay given they have enough space. Also put the betta in last so it doesn't seem like the other fish are intruding on it's territory. I'd like to see them gene modify them to be less fragile though. They're so frail the least we could do is edit that back in so they're much hardier.
 

CoryBoi

Member
This is why I like the bettas if they were already going to create anymore glofish.
they encourage people to buy these tanks which are way more suitable for a betta than the tanks they sell with the other fish.
 

Ebreus

Member
Rev said:
Bettas absolutely can be community fish. It just depends on tank size, what they're with, and their temperament. Apart from the super aggressive ones most should be okay given they have enough space. Also put the betta in last so it doesn't seem like the other fish are intruding on it's territory. I'd like to see them gene modify them to be less fragile though. They're so frail the least we could do is edit that back in so they're much hardier.
Nice. A Betta might like my 50 gallon. I mean he'd have to share with Guppies, Bladder Snails, and Amano Shrimp but it's a big tank. Don't think I'm going to try though, I really want the shrimp and don't know if the Betta would hunt them.
 

Rev

Member
Ebreus said:
Nice. A Betta might like my 50 gallon. I mean he'd have to share with Guppies, Bladder Snails, and Amano Shrimp but it's a big tank. Don't think I'm going to try though, I really want the shrimp and don't know if the Betta would hunt them.
If it's just amanos for shrimp you might be okay actually. I believe they're big enough your betta can't fit them in it's mouth. Might eat the bladder snails too. I think mine does but it's hard to tell really. Granted it's bladder snails I don't really care. Could be worth a shot to see how he does I the tank for a few hours. Though I'd only do that if you already have one.
 

Deku-Cory

Member
Ebreus said:
I do hope gene modification for fish goes further than just adding bio-luminescence to everything. It would be impressive to see a strain of Bettas that're mellow enough to be considered community fish.
I've seen a couple people bring up the idea of breeding a peaceful Betta. The irony is that they weren't aggressive by nature. Humans bred them for decades to be aggressive, back when making fish fight to the death was all the rage. Most non-domesticated species of Betta are actually pretty peaceful, even males can be kept together if you give them enough ladies and a big enough tank that each one can establish their own territory. (By big I mean like, a 20 long for two males.)
 

Dewclaw83

Member
Deku-Cory said:
I've seen a couple people bring up the idea of breeding a peaceful Betta. The irony is that they weren't aggressive by nature. Humans bred them for decades to be aggressive, back when making fish fight to the death was all the rage. Most non-domesticated species of Betta are actually pretty peaceful, even males can be kept together if you give them enough ladies and a big enough tank that each one can establish their own territory. (By big I mean like, a 20 long for two males.)
I feel like the domestic bettas are already more tolerant than they used to be. Not peaceful, just slightly more tolerant.
 

Ebreus

Member
Deku-Cory said:
I've seen a couple people bring up the idea of breeding a peaceful Betta. The irony is that they weren't aggressive by nature. Humans bred them for decades to be aggressive, back when making fish fight to the death was all the rage. Most non-domesticated species of Betta are actually pretty peaceful, even males can be kept together if you give them enough ladies and a big enough tank that each one can establish their own territory. (By big I mean like, a 20 long for two males.)
Oh cool. I might have to look into some wild or close to Bettas.

Dewclaw83 said:
I feel like the domestic bettas are already more tolerant than they used to be. Not peaceful, just slightly more tolerant.
I guess with selection pressure being indifferent to aggression the hyper-agressive tendency of 'fighting-fish' is atrophying with random mutations.
 

Dewclaw83

Member
Ebreus said:
Oh cool. I might have to look into some wild or close to Bettas.
Definitely do! Totally worth it!


Ebreus said:
I guess with selection pressure being indifferent to aggression the hyper-agressive tendency of 'fighting-fish' is atrophying with random mutations.
Yeah, they’re mostly bred for color/profit right now. It wouldn’t be too hard to select for peaceful fish honestly
 

Ebreus

Member
Dewclaw83 said:
Definitely do! Totally worth it!
Any reccomendations for where to start?
 

Deku-Cory

Member
Ebreus said:
Oh cool. I might have to look into some wild or close to Bettas.
You might like Alien Bettas, they're a cross between domestic and wild Bettas. Pretty peaceful, but has a lot of color variety. They seem to be quite popular in Thailand. I unfortunately can't find a lot of information on them, but I might be looking in the wrong places.

For pure wild types, just google "wild Bettas" and see what types catch your eye. There's a good variety, with some being much harder to get than others. My personal favorite is Imbellis, it is high on the list of fish I want to keep.
 

Crispii

Member
Ebreus said:
Any reccomendations for where to start?
Species from the splendens or albimarginata complex are good fish to start with.
 

Dewclaw83

Member
Ebreus said:
Any reccomendations for where to start?
The one that caught my attention was the Betta mahachaiensis but I also have a wild Betta splendens and a Betta imbellis. All three are quite similar in appearance (shape), though the imbellis only gets to 1.5” or so. I someday would also like a Betta smaragdina or Betta stiktos (a subspecies ofthe smaragdina). Personally I’m not a fan of the aliens’ looks. You can find great pics of all the ones I just mentioned if you look up franksbettas (all one word) on Facebook.
As for the others, I’m not as familiar and a google search will help you more... as far as I know there are Betta hendra, macrostoma, gladiator, persephone, simplex, and coccina to name a few others I can think of
 

Pebbels

Member
I think bettas were beautiful with the many varities we have already. I don't think we need "GloBettas." It's another thing where people make the fish to suit themselves without thinking about the fishs needs. Just my opinion.
 

Ebreus

Member
Deku-Cory said:
You might like Alien Bettas, they're a cross between domestic and wild Bettas. Pretty peaceful, but has a lot of color variety. They seem to be quite popular in Thailand. I unfortunately can't find a lot of information on them, but I might be looking in the wrong places.

For pure wild types, just google "wild Bettas" and see what types catch your eye. There's a good variety, with some being much harder to get than others. My personal favorite is Imbellis, it is high on the list of fish I want to keep.
Wow, you can really see how they're in the GouramI family looking at wild ones. Some of the aliens and wild ones almost fit the normal GouramI look.
 

LanceDog

Member
If I am gonna spend $30 on a betta, it will be one of good stock and beautiful colors- not a Glofish.
 

wishkahryan

Member
Was just at petco and noticed that they now have glow betas like they have glow tetras and glow danios. I think this is just too far they looked super sick and recorded.
 

bettaf1sh 7789

Member
How does everyone feel about these guys? I online ordered one of the 3 gallon cubes and I’m gonna pick it up tomorrow and possibly get a fish on Saturday (I have other tanks and I’ll pop some cycled media in the tank). Opinions? I was between the cube and a 5 gallon standard tank, I ultimately went with the cube as it fit better in the space and I was also curious about the filter system in it. I’ve kept bettas for many years and I’m honestly just intrigued by these glo bettas, any advice is welcome as I’m not sure if I agree or disagree with glo bettas…
 

Amazoniantanklvr

Member
This is a topic that has been discussed and just created problems. Many people don't want to talk about it. Your thread may be deleted just to let you know. They are indifferent to me (GlowBettas).
 

FinalFins

Member
I think your tank should be a nice fit for your new betta I also wanted to pick one of them up but their demand has skyrocketed so there were none on the shelves recently
 

CoryBoi

Member
I know this thread will be deleted, but I say go for it! I personally think the look lien zombies, but a female sorority wouldn’t look to bad imo. Also I think I is great that they are finally creating a glofish that can live in the tanks that they encourage you to buy!
 

FinalFins

Member
The reason the threads are locked up because the original question is irrelevant in the conversations and the opinions keep going round and round.
 

Blueberrybetta

Member
It upsets me very much as I don't see the need for them to do that for bettas ??? Or any fish to be exact ! Its obvious they inject them at this point . Terrible . Very terrible. My Petsmart got them in last week and I went off . I'm so upset over it
 

Ebreus

Member
bettaf1sh 7789 said:
How does everyone feel about these guys? I online ordered one of the 3 gallon cubes and I’m gonna pick it up tomorrow and possibly get a fish on Saturday (I have other tanks and I’ll pop some cycled media in the tank). Opinions? I was between the cube and a 5 gallon standard tank, I ultimately went with the cube as it fit better in the space and I was also curious about the filter system in it. I’ve kept bettas for many years and I’m honestly just intrigued by these glo bettas, any advice is welcome as I’m not sure if I agree or disagree with glo bettas…
The community here is pretty divided on them. I think the most popular oppinions are along the lines of 'I don't like them' and 'Eh, GloFish is recommending a proper aquarium for them'.
There's already two or three threads on gloBettas. Shouldn't be too hard to find them.
 

FinalFins

Member
Blueberrybetta said:
It upsets me very much as I don't see the need for them to do that for bettas ??? Or any fish to be exact ! Its obvious they inject them at this point . Terrible . Very terrible. My Petsmart got them in last week and I went off . I'm so upset over it
The fish are not injected. The biolumenecent gene is put into an embryo so the fry is a carrier and they breed that till the line breeds true
 

CoryBoi

Member
Blueberrybetta said:
It upsets me very much as I don't see the need for them to do that for bettas ??? Or any fish to be exact ! Its obvious they inject them at this point . Terrible . Very terrible. My Petsmart got them in last week and I went off . I'm so upset over it
the only problem with them is impulse buyers, but the tank they sell alongside them is actually suitable for them.
 

Blueberrybetta

Member
FinalFins said:
The fish are not injected. The biolumenecent gene is put into an embryo so the fry is a carrier and they breed that till the line breeds true

Yeah I just read the article on it but the very first fish they usedto breed were Injected ... I still dot support it . All the ones I see have holes in their heads , eyes are cloudy and popping out . They just don't look natural to me...

CoryFan said:
the only problem with them is impulse buyers, but the tank they sell alongside them is actually suitable for them.
The glo bettas they had were all skinny and just terrible looking . They had red patches on their head and their eyes were a bright bright neon green, like can they even see? They just seemed so sad
 

FinalFins

Member
Blueberrybetta said:
The glo bettas they had were all skinny and just terrible looking . They had red patches on their head and their eyes were a bright bright neon green, like can they even see? They just seemed so sad
That's literally all chain store bettas.

Now these are the types of posts (including mine) that get a thread locked up because they points are pushed back and forth between the two sides.
 

Dewclaw83

Member
FinalFins said:
The fish are not injected. The biolumenecent gene is put into an embryo so the fry is a carrier and they breed that till the line breeds true
It’s not bioluminescence. If you look up bioluminescent dinoflagellates, you see that “bioluminescent” implies/means that the organism glows on their own - like they glow in the dark. The glofish have a fluorescent gene, which means they fluoresce under certainly lights - they don’t actually glow. The name is misleading.

OP, you’ll have to share pictures! No stores near my school carry them so I haven’t seen any. They’re probably not anymore healthy than normal pet store bettas, unfortunately, seeing as that was likely their starting stock when making these. I’d get one, but I don’t really have the space, and I think I’d rather make my own so that I could make them look prettier Also, share pics of the tank. I recently got a 14 gallon cube and am torn on what exactly I want to do for the layout - I’d love to see what you do!
 

Crispii

Member
I honestly don't really care about the Betta.
 

bettaf1sh 7789

Member
Amazoniantanklvr said:
This is a topic that has been discussed and just created problems. Many people don't want to talk about it. Your thread may be deleted just to let you know. They are indifferent to me (GlowBettas).
Thanks for the input! Didn’t realize it was THAT hot of a debate and had no idea I’d get this many responses… sorry if I started something haha, I guess I didn’t word it quite so well. I’m mostly just looking for advice on keeping one and if there’s anything I should know specifically about the glofish (never had any kind before) and if the little 3 gallon they sell for them is suitable (which from what I can tell seems to be a yes!). I guess when I say “opinions” or anything related to ethics and what not, I’m wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience with issues specific to glofish… if that makes sense
 

Dewclaw83

Member
bettaf1sh 7789 said:
Thanks for the input! Didn’t realize it was THAT hot of a debate and had no idea I’d get this many responses… sorry if I started something haha, I guess I didn’t word it quite so well. I’m mostly just looking for advice on keeping one and if there’s anything I should know specifically about the glofish (never had any kind before) and if the little 3 gallon they sell for them is suitable (which from what I can tell seems to be a yes!). I guess when I say “opinions” or anything related to ethics and what not, I’m wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience with issues specific to glofish… if that makes sense
They should be exactly the same as a “normal” fish! Think of glofish as just another color variant. In this case, could be a red betta, or a blue betta, or a fluorescing betta! Just another color so yes, a 3 gallon is a little on the smaller side but should be just fine for a betta
 

bettaf1sh 7789

Member
FinalFins said:
I think your tank should be a nice fit for your new betta I also wanted to pick one of them up but their demand has skyrocketed so there were none on the shelves recently
Awesome! I didn’t even realize they were a thing until yesterday! I went to shop online on petsmart and saw an ad about them and supplies and I was like “what?!?” Had to pick up crickets anyways so I went and looked at a few and thought they were kinda neat and the tank was only $35 and with all supplies will come out to around $60 so I figure why not?

Dewclaw83 said:
They should be exactly the same as a “normal” fish! Think of glofish as just another color variant. In this case, could be a red betta, or a blue betta, or a fluorescing betta! Just another color so yes, a 3 gallon is a little on the smaller side but should be just fine for a betta
Okay! The only reason I ask about any concerns is due to the controversy (didn’t even know they existed until yesterday, but I’ve been researching like crazy the last 24 hours). I know a big concern was the flashy colors and blue lighting being stressful, I will likely do a colorful tank but will leave the daylight setting on the lights probably 90% of the time.
 

Dewclaw83

Member
bettaf1sh 7789 said:
Okay! The only reason I ask about any concerns is due to the controversy (didn’t even know they existed until yesterday, but I’ve been researching like crazy the last 24 hours). I know a big concern was the flashy colors and blue lighting being stressful, I will likely do a colorful tank but will leave the daylight setting on the lights probably 90% of the time.
That’s a good plan for the lights! I do the same for my GloDanios - I really only turn it on when I’m showing someone that they fluoresce lol - their color is lovely on its own too! Bettas already have so many flashy and strange colors and tail shapes, I wouldn’t worry too much about the Globettas. Obviously there may be some unforseen susceptiblity or something, but I doubt it. Like I said, just another color
 

Mcasella

Member
They will also come in several colors, the females are the cheapest of the ones available.

They are modified like current domestic betta splendens have been - by humans-, just they get the added bonus of having dna of another creature to cause the coloring - it does not affect their lifespan or health just like regular glofish. Just don't keep them under blue light for long periods of time because it can damage vision (even in regular fish and people).

Side note, if your local chain store can't keep their bettas healthy you need to report it to over their heads to get it fixed, not the manager but someone in the departments to fix the problem.
 

Lebeeze

Member
I was told by someone from my local fish store that when glofish first started they were injected with dye and most of them would just die, so now they somehow use jellyfish DNA to give them the glow. As far as my opinion on the topic, as long as the fish aren't injured or their lifespan and quality of life aren't compromised then I guess it's fine.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom