GloFish Behavior

xxSTEPHENSxx
Ok... my female glofish seems to be chasing the two males around the tank pretty regular today. I think she is prego! From what I can tell she is niping at the males fins... Is this normal?

Elodea
That's strange...it's usually my male that chases the two females around. ???

Maybe she's just being territorial in her new home.

Do you have any plants in the tank? Try adding plants (plastic, if you don't want to deal with live ones), caves, driftwood, rocks, or any general ornaments that may break up territories.

I'm not that sure, though, because I didn't know that glofish could be territorial.

Do you see any frayed or nipped fins on the males? If not, they might just be playing.

xxSTEPHENSxx
I do have a big rock and 4 plants in the tank. She just started this today... she has been in the tank for 24-30 hours by now so she may just be playing.

She is bigger than the two males and I think she is prego. I thought this was strange also.

I do not see any nipped fins yet... she usually chases for a few seconds and stops.

Elodea
I think they're just playing, my zebra danios spend 90% of their day chasing each other.

Could you post a picture of your female? Here's a picture of one of my pregnant* females (on the top). Easy to tell if they're pregnant* or not, I'm still trying to spawn mine before they explode.

* By pregnant I mean holding eggs, because danios aren't livebearers.

couesfanatic
WOW, have you been overfeeding that female? I breed danios and I have never had one that big. I have overfed at times and seen some bloating but WOW.

In my experience, in Danios it is the dominant female that always takes up the main space in the tank. She is a bit territorial and chases the others. That's the same thing you are seeing i'm betting.

Prince Powder
They are probably just playing. Keep an eye on nipped fins though, they could get infected. She's probably just in a bad mood if she's carrying eggs and doesn't want to deal with the other two pestering her. Once you're all cycled and you get a proper school going the aggression generally subsides since she'll have too many targets to keep track of just one or two. Until then just keep an eye to make sure she isn't doing any real damage to the other two.

Elodea
Hmmm, it's always my male that chases the females everywhere.

No, I haven't been overfeeding my female (look at the male. If I were overfeeding, he'd be bloated, too). She's just that way. That's why I say that I'm trying to get them to spawn before she explodes.

couesfanatic
Elodea said:
(look at the male. If I were overfeeding, he'd be bloated, too)
My more aggressive fish will get bloated first since they get most of the food.

Has she always been that big?, or is it just recently?

Elodea
She's been that big for a few months now. Weird, isn't it? I can't bring them to spawn.

couesfanatic
That is weird. I really don't think that it's from eggs. My danios breed weekly. Keep an eye on her.

For me, water changes almost always trigger a spawn in the next morning.

xxSTEPHENSxx
I will try to post a picture of her tonight. She is 3x bigger than the two males. I just read that they may be aggressive unless they are in a proper school which they are not right now. I only have 3 and I need 6 total. This may explain why.

I am considering buying some java moss to see if she will lay her eggs. But I am afraid that this may mess up the cycling. Plus I am not sure where to get it. Any suggestions?

I also read that I should separate her with her eggs because the others will eat them.

Amanda
I don't think she's pregnant...I'd really keep an eye on her. I'd try feeding her thawed peas for a week or so.

xxSTEPHENSxx
She does eat more than the other two... she shoots around and eats it as fast as she can.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom