Glofish babies

potatos
HI,
Last night I noticed on of my glofish was so swollen, it had trouble swimming, and I assumed it would lay eggs soon. sure enough, this morning all my fish were franticly picking at the gravel. I tossed in some extra fish food to hopefully distract them. my glofish is now considerably smaller, and I was curious about rasing the fry. I assume they are similar to breeding regular zebra danio, but I have never done that before. Would all have the eggs been eaten by now? how would I know if another fish bothered to fertilize them? I do not have a second aquarium, but I have some 5 gal buckets. Could I do a water change into one of the buckets with a gravel vacuum, and simply keep the water, or will the lack of a heater/aerator kill the eggs? if I want to give them a chance, should I leave them in the tank with my danios and rams, where there is live plants, including a bit of java moss, and a heater and aerator, or should they go in the bucket? or should I just wait until she is ready to breed again and put her in a small tank with marbles? (how often to they lay eggs?)

any info would be appreciated, I have looked online, but they talk about set ups I don't have.

sirdarksol
My opinion is that their best bet is to leave things be. This isn't to say that they have much of a chance, but it's probably their best one. The Java moss may well protect one or two of them.
As time goes on, your plants will grow, and will provide more and more cover for the fry.

potatos
Ok, but I still have relativly little java moss, and I think I'm due a water change anyways. I was thinking of sucking the water from th gravel into a bucket, and if anything hatches, I would put them in a bowl w/ java moss near a window. would that work better? and should I be able to see the eggs, or are they tiny? otherwise I think they were mostly eated. or will this process of sucking them up destroy the eggs?

Lucy
I'm not a breeder, I just don't have room for a lot of babies.
I've left eggs in the tank.
If any survive, I suck them out with a turkey baster and out them in a breeder net with java moss.
They need some water movement or they could get fungusy.
I fed with HakarI first bites and Ken's golden pearls.

potatos
1)Actualy, I just did a water change since the gravel was looking bad, and I figured none survived, but before I threw out my water, I found about 6 baby fish, they are smaller than I thought possable. what on earth do I feed them? I assume they are from a previous batch, and plan to keep them out of the tank in a unheated dish with my java moss near a window. will this keep the adaqutly warm and feed? or should I put them back in the tank?

2)also upon close inspection of my muck, I found lots of little flea/mites sifting around down their, they are way smaller than the baby fish, and no picture I could take would show up. will my fishhies eat them? are they a bad or good or neutral sign? they are so small I assume they are harmless, but I just want to check with the experts before making assumptions. I also saw one larger bug, but still no bigger than a cm.

3)another thing I noticed that has been concerning me, is that the mom has what looks like a mustash. its as if a thin piece of short thread was in the water, and she bit it, and the two ends of the string were pertruding from the corner of her mouth. they are short extensions coming from the ends of her mouth, she is a zebra danio, and this is not normal from what I can tell. it has been here quite a while, and seems attached. is this normal, or doe she have some sort of parasite? sorry to get off topic from my thread, but I have been concerned, and I don't want these new babies to be orphans!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom