Glofish And Rasbora In Love?

annizoe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have an old Rasbora probably about 3 years old and I recently added 3 new Glofish after 2 old tank mates died (in the last month) a pink, green and blue. The Raspbora is following the pink glo and dancing like it wants to mate. Is this normal and can they breed? I took video...it's the cutest thing. I am just curious because I have NEVER seen this behavior before except in mating guppy pairs.

Here is the video- as you can see it's doing a little wiggle dance around the glofish. It has brought NEW LIFE to an old guy (lol)

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is normal for a schooling fish to seek companionship with other species when there's few others of it's own kind.

OP
annizoe

annizoe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There are other glo fish but the Raspbora chasing only the pink one and dancing...too cute...

Cant upload vid for some reason...

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
annizoe said:
There are other glo fish but the Raspbora chasing only the pink one and dancing...too cute...

You can upload it to YouTube then send the link

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
annizoe said:

Any other rasboras? I've had a Male angel and female betta that were inseparable. Those kinds of things are out of the norm. But they do happen.

Agree with above post to YouTube and link it here.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
_xXDrowning_In_TanksXx_ said:
I don't think they can breed...
and even if they did breed it would be illegal...
They can't breed. There either glow tetras, danios, or tiger barbs.

It's not illegal to breed them as this will happen from time to time. Selling them is illegal unless your licensed to do so.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
annizoe said:

I hope you upload the vid. I want to see!

_xXDrowning_In_TanksXx_

Reaction score
Dave125g said:
It's not illegal to breed them
yeah, I don't think you can breed them, look at this license notice from Glofish I found:
  1. Intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or trade, of any offspring of GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yeah, I don't think you can breed them, look at this license notice from Glofish I found:
  1. Intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or trade, of any offspring of GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited.
True that, but I doubt the fish police will be breaking down your door if they do. Just don't sell them commercially and there's not much they can do.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
  1. Intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or trade, of any offspring of GloFish fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited.
"Breeding and/or selling" is illegal. If conditions are right your not gonna be able to stop fish from breeding. There is nothing to sue for if no money is changing hands.

_xXDrowning_In_TanksXx_

Reaction score
Kathryn Crook said:
True that, but I doubt the fish police will be breaking down your door if they do. Just don't sell them commercially and there's not much they can do.
yes, you're right, I doubt that you'll be arrested for selling a few, but if you sell them in masses, then you're in legal trouble.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yes, you're right, I doubt that you'll be arrested for selling a few, but if you sell them in masses, then you're in legal trouble.
So, does a pink and blue glofish make a purple one?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Correct it's gotta be enough money to make it worth the company's while to sue.
Kathryn Crook said:
So, does a pink and blue glofish make a purple one?
No actually different color glows makes albinos I believe.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dave125g said:
Correct it's gotta be enough money to make it worth the company's while to sue.No actually different color glows makes albinos I believe.
Arent you just a party pooper!

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kathryn Crook said:
Arent you just a party pooper!
Yeah sorry. That would be cool though. From the 6 colors they come in, it would be awsome to mix and match.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dave125g said:
Yeah sorry. That would be cool though. From the 6 colors they come in, it would be awsome to mix and match.
Yeah, I would assume at the end, like with shrimp, they would actually return to their wild color? Although shrimp aren't GMO but genes, I know,

OP
annizoe

annizoe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I never had intentions of selling...if I ever wind up with too many babies I give them away. It's rare now adays since I don't pair guppies anymore. Here is the video...it's a short one, but you can see him wiggling and dancing. He was NEVER like this even around other's of it's kind. ALSO the Raspbora was always a black and white fish with red fins and now it's coloring is reddish...too cool

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Spawning is what it appears that harlequin is trying to do lol. Too funny.

OP
annizoe

annizoe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dave125g said:
Spawning is what it appears that harlequin is trying to do lol. Too funny.
Hey, if it makes him happy, and is giving the old guy new life...I'm happy for him. It makes my tank more interesting to watch.

New Threads