Glofish And Glowlight

baileymw11
I just set up a fish tank. I bought a glofish light to use for the tank. However, I would like to put other freshwater fish that do not glow such as some mollies. Will the Glowlight affect the nonglow fish or would they be okay in the Glowlight?

EbiAqua
The glowfish light is literally just a blacklight if I'm not mistaken. Other fish shouldn't be affected adversely.

baileymw11
The glowfish light is literally just a blacklight if I'm not mistaken. Other fish shouldn't be affected adversely.
I am pretty sure it has 4 “modes” on the light. It has a daytime, a nighttime, a midnight, and a twilight Time I’m pretty sure. I just don’t want to get other fish and those fish not thrive as well if I just got a normal light.

Mcasella
Glofish lights are blue or actinic, they aren't special but can affect all fish's eyesight if constantly used. Most glofish look better and brighter under a white/blue led than just under a blue light.
Having the blue on them all the time can stress them out (and it will cause glowfish tetras -ones with the orange stripe on the body, not added genes- to look washed out).

baileymw11
Glofish lights are blue or actinic, they aren't special but can affect all fish's eyesight if constantly used. Most glofish look better and brighter under a white/blue led than just under a blue light.
Having the blue on them all the time can stress them out (and it will cause glowfish tetras -ones with the orange stripe on the body, not added genes- to look washed out).
So I can still use it but not all the time? I wasn’t really planning on have the light on all day long due to the fact that it is across the room from a door, so I am thinking that natural light will hit the tank for some part of the day. Would it be smarter to just get a normal light?

Jellibeen
I would guess that if the glowlight negatively affect non-glow fish, it will negatively affect glowfish as well.

Hunter1

So I have a Beamworks LED with either white or blue. I have been turning the white on when I get to work and at night I usually turn on the blue, thinking it was better for the plants.

But I have glow light tetras and I notice some days the orange stripe is dull. But the harlequin rasporas are brilliant.

Is the blue affecting the glow lights? Your post made me think they may be dull the day after I left the blue light on, and maybe they are brighter when I turn it off at night.

Sam M
I just set up a fish tank. I bought a glofish light to use for the tank. However, I would like to put other freshwater fish that do not glow such as some mollies. Will the Glowlight affect the nonglow fish or would they be okay in the Glowlight?
They should be alright! Please make sure you familiarize yourself with the nitrogen cycle before you add anymore fish though, as if you don’t cycle your tank first you may end up with a whole lot of dead fish

Mcasella
So I can still use it but not all the time? I wasn’t really planning on have the light on all day long due to the fact that it is across the room from a door, so I am thinking that natural light will hit the tank for some part of the day. Would it be smarter to just get a normal light?
I would only have it on for a couple hours a day at most, when you can get to enjoy the effect the most, however it is my opinion that Glofish look much better (there is no 'w' on the genetically altered ones) under white LED because it has a touch of blue, but allows the blue Glofish to look much better. I have pink/starfire red danios, they are a hot pink color all the time (beyond the newest one I rescued, it is pale from stress and other issues) and do not have a blue light over their tank. They get natural and bulb light and are always hunting for food.

So I have a Beamworks LED with either white or blue. I have been turning the white on when I get to work and at night I usually turn on the blue, thinking it was better for the plants.

But I have glow light tetras and I notice some days the orange stripe is dull. But the harlequin rasporas are brilliant.

Is the blue affecting the glow lights? Your post made me think they may be dull the day after I left the blue light on, and maybe they are brighter when I turn it off at night.
I would only keep it on for a couple hours, constant light is not good for the fish as they aren't as easily able to get into their sleeping mode. The blue I would only keep on for a couple hours at most when you are home to enjoy it but cut it off before you go to sleep for the night. I have one tank that the light will be on after it gets dark an hour or so, it is a regular light however - the schooling fish immediately start to take their sleeping poses once the light goes off.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tetramoon
Replies
Views
ystrout
Replies
Views
Discus-Tang
Replies