Glofish 5Gl Tank

SJM

Hi - I'm new to this forum so not sure if I'm supposed to post a question here, but I fell into the trap of purchasing a Glofish tank at PetCo. Hadn't done any research before doing that. I have a 5 Gl tank with 3 fish. I have blue lights and the artificial plants - looks pretty - fish seem healthy - but I have black mold growing on some of the plants in the tank and wonder if I should change them for real plants if that's even possible. The gravel is the stuff that came with the "kit". I've owned fish before very successfully - had a 25 Gl tank freshwater, but I'm in a small apartment now and thought a smaller tank would be ok. Also, I am not sure if I'm overfeeding my fish - I feed them flakes and they have started to come to the surface to feed, but a lot of it floats around and then sinks to the bottom - so my water gets cloudy often. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore!
I would only feed what they eat in a few minutes. If its sinking to the bottom its too much. 3 fish aren't going to eat a whole lot. Thats probably why the water is getting cloudy. Post a pic of the black moldy stuff if you can. So we can identify what it is.

Nickguy5467

every time i hear/read glofish i think of mutants then i think of x-men and then i have the old cartoon theme song stuck in my head

edit: now im picturing that entire cartoon opening replacing the x-men with glofish >.> ive seen some weird things

Joshaeus

I'm curious...what kind of glofish? I can't think of any glofish (other than the recently introduced betta version) that would do well in a 5 gallon long term.

SJM

StarGirl said:
Welcome to Fishlore!
I would only feed what they eat in a few minutes. If its sinking to the bottom its too much. 3 fish aren't going to eat a whole lot. Thats probably why the water is getting cloudy. Post a pic of the black moldy stuff if you can. So we can identify what it is.
Joshaeus said:
I'm curious...what kind of glofish? I can't think of any glofish (other than the recently introduced betta version) that would do well in a 5 gallon long term.
Long fin tetras. I know. I didn't know that before I did some research ... was misinformed at the pet store!

StarGirl said:
Welcome to Fishlore!
Pictures as requested.

StarGirl

Im thinking it is diatoms since your tank it fairly new. Its hard to tell for sure with the black light. It is normal. It will go away in time as the tank matures. Does it rub off easy?

SJM

StarGirl said:
Im thinking it is diatoms since your tank it fairly new. Its hard to tell for sure with the black light. It is normal. It will go away in time as the tank matures. Does it rub off easy?
Yes it does - feels a little "slimy".

StarGirl

More than likely diatoms then. Algae is hard to remove. If it bothers you just remove the deco one at a time to clean them. Don't do them all at once if you are not cycled yet. You don't want to remove all of that surface area bb all at once.

Islandvic

SJM , Welcome to forum.

You can remove the decor and them off with hot water.

To clean the glass, use an old plastic debit card or gift card to scrape the glass. Doing that won't scratch the glass. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (or generic equivalent) works excellent to clean anything inside or outside the tank.

I would recommend to feed less, and when you do water changes do a thorough cleaning of the substrate with your gravel siphon vac.

In my experience, when I had gravel on our first tank it acted like a trap for all the uneaten food and fish waste. Now, all my tanks have sand. Very easy to clean.

Regarding the blue light, I would suggest to not leave it on all night long. Two of our tanks have blue LED's, but they are programmed to turn off around 11:00pm. Fish do need a light on all the time, and in some cases can stress the fish over time.

Also, are you running a filter that uses a cartridge?

And are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle and how to cycle a tank ?

SJM

Islandvic said:
SJM , Welcome to forum.

You can remove the decor and them off with hot water.

To clean the glass, use an old plastic debit card or gift card to scrape the glass. Doing that won't scratch the glass. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (or generic equivalent) works excellent to clean anything inside or outside the tank.

I would recommend to feed less, and when you do water changes do a thorough cleaning of the substrate with your gravel siphon vac.

In my experience, when I had gravel on our first tank it acted like a trap for all the uneaten food and fish waste. Now, all my tanks have sand. Very easy to clean.

Regarding the blue light, I would suggest to not leave it on all night long. Two of our tanks have blue LED's, but they are programmed to turn off around 11:00pm. Fish do need a light on all the time, and in some cases can stress the fish over time.

Also, are you running a filter that uses a cartridge?

And are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle and how to cycle a tank ?
Hi Islandvic - I do have a blue light, but I don't leave it on all night. I added a air bubbler that has a blue light, so I guess I could leave that on, but I've been turning them all off at night. I will vac the gravel at my next water change, but when I tried that before, it pulled a lot of water out of the tank so fast, that I didn't get all the gravel vacuumed. Such a small tank.

StarGirl said:
More than likely diatoms then. Algae is hard to remove. If it bothers you just remove the deco one at a time to clean them. Don't do them all at once if you are not cycled yet. You don't want to remove all of that surface area bb all at once.
OK - If it's not harmful, I can leave it and see how it goes. Does anyone recommend getting a bottom feeder (fish) to help with the food? I have a small tank with 3 fish already, so probably not ...

Noroomforshoe

I suggest you buy a 20 gallon long, and move the fish and the filter to it. Then look up fish in cycling, and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and get the tank cycled. once the tank is cycled, and nitrates are at 10-20 ppm, get 3-5 more skirt tetra. you do not have to get glofish skirt tetra to create one school, the regular white skirts will school with the glofish, but you can of course get more glow fish if you want,

SJM

Noroomforshoe said:
I suggest you buy a 20 gallon long, and move the fish and the filter to it. Then look up fish in cycling, and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and get the tank cycled. once the tank is cycled, and nitrates are at 10-20 ppm, get 3-5 more skirt tetra. you do not have to get glofish skirt tetra to create one school, the regular white skirts will school with the glofish, but you can of course get more glow fish if you want,
Unfortunately, I don't have the room for that size tank and would not have bought, glofish or any schooling fish, had I known. If you can believe it, the girl at the store that sold me the kit told me that I could get 5 fish in this tank!

fishnovice33

SJM said:
Unfortunately, I don't have the room for that size tank and would not have bought, glofish or any schooling fish, had I known. If you can believe it, the girl at the store that sold me the kit told me that I could get 5 fish in this tank!
Typical pet store response. They go off the ‘1 inch per gallon’ mantra, each tetra about 1 inch = 5. And a school of 5 is bare minimum, but not in a 5 gallon. It’s the ignorance of not paying attention to individual species needs.

It’s like assuming a Great Dane or Saint Bernard will need more room to roam and exercise than say a German Shepard or Husky just because they’re bigger, when in reality the latter needs much more space and the former can do with small yards and little hardcore exercise.

Shame you fell victim, perhaps you can return them and get a Betta. I’m not sure of anything else 5 gallons is good for.

SJM

fishnovice33 said:
Typical pet store response. They go off the ‘1 inch per gallon’ mantra, each tetra about 1 inch = 5. And a school of 5 is bare minimum, but not in a 5 gallon. It’s the ignorance of not paying attention to individual species needs.

It’s like assuming a Great Dane or Saint Bernard will need more room to roam and exercise than say a German Shepard or Husky just because they’re bigger, when in reality the latter needs much more space and the former can do with small yards and little hardcore exercise.

Shame you fell victim, perhaps you can return them and get a Betta. I’m not sure of anything else 5 gallons is good for.
Thanks - I've noticed that they are very aggressive towards each other. I assume that's normal?

Nickguy5467

Noroomforshoe

Your fish are aggressive because they are stressed. They are schooling fish but they are not in a school. Skirt tetra are a fin nippy species that does best in a larger then average school/ more then 6.

They are also very active, they need more room to swim then a 5 gallon / 16 inch long space. A 20 galllon long / 30 inch long is really the bare minimum for the tetra glofish.

If the fish had a larger enough tank and school, the fish would not be stressed aggression would be replaced by playfullness.

I am sorry that greedy companies and store employees steered you wrong. Your best option is to rehome/return/sell the teras and get yourself a betta.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom