Glo tanks?

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve heard some negative things about glofish and their decor. Can someone please tell me more about it. I’m curious, all I know is that they’re made to glow under black light I think? Thanks! :)

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Hello, I have a bit of experience. They probably will glow with blacklight, but also with just blue light. I just have fish though, but no glow decorations so I can't speak for those. However, I feel the blue light is too intense, and freaks the fish out. The swimming pattern is much calmer under normal light.
I bought GloTetras, the skirt tetras. And also bought the GloFish branded blue light.
I have retired the blue light and they are calm peaceful fish.

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aurorafishy said:
I’ve heard some negative things about glofish and their decor. Can someone please tell me more about it. I’m curious, all I know is that they’re made to glow under black light I think? Thanks! :)
I have heard mixed thoughts on these fish. Some say the dye is harmful, others say it doesn't really affect the fish. In my opinion, I think the dye used to create the glo fish isn't detrimental to the fish's health. I just personally prefer the look of a natural tank, vs. an artificial one. With the decor, fish tend to prefer a natural look, rather than the bright, unnatural colors. It makes them feel more "at home". Betta fish naturally come from places that have a lot of natural cover, so the best thing for any fish is to try and replicate (to the best of your ability) its natural environment. However, these are just my opinions.

Edit: I shouldn't have used the word dye, as that is misleading. The fish are created through using genes from marine life, for example sea anemones. They are bred to be those bright colors through genes.

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mhamilton0911 said:
There is no dye.
It's a genetic alteration.
I re-read what I had written and I shouldn't have used the word "dye". It is genes from a sea anemone I believe?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
emilyyyyy said:
Some say the dye is harmful, others say it doesn't really affect the fish. In my opinion, I think the dye used to create the glo fish isn't detrimental to the fish's health
In scenarios where the fish is dyed, (Fruit tetras), the dye is injected or the slime coat is stripped, fish dyed and slime coat reapplied. Don’t see how that is not harmful.

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Cited from glofish website:
"Where does the fluorescent color come from? GloFish are born beautiful! The fluorescent color in GloFish is produced by an inherited fluorescent protein gene that is passed from generation to generation and creates the beautiful fluorescence that can be seen when looking at the fish. The fluorescent protein genes are derived from naturally occurring genes found in marine organisms."

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
In scenarios where the fish is dyed, (Fruit tetras), the dye is injected or the slime coat is stripped, fish dyed and slime coat reapplied. Don’t see how that is not harmful.
I have heard some people say it isn't harmful, because not all types of glo fish are "dyed" this way. In my own research, I have conducted that the fish are created through genes pulled from sea anemones. Correct me if I am wrong though.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
emilyyyyy said:
I have heard some people say it isn't harmful, because not all types of glo fish are "dyed" this way. In my own research, I have conducted that the fish are created through genes pulled from sea anemones. Correct me if I am wrong though.
You are right, glofish are made from genetic engineering but there are still suppliers which supply fish called "fruit tetras" which are often confused as glo tetras and fruit tetras are colored with dye.

OP
Aurorafishy

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FinalFins said:
You are right, glofish are made from genetic engineering but there are still suppliers which supply fish called "fruit tetras" which are often confused as glo tetras and fruit tetras are colored with dye.
Ok that makes more sense. I’ve never seen any fruit tetras. Do they dye each and every fish? I wouldn’t want any fish which have dyes

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
I was not aware of this! Thank you for letting me know. And yeah...wouldn't want any fish in my tank who were actually injected with something...seems very harmful...

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
emilyyyyy said:
I was not aware of this! Thank you for letting me know. And yeah...wouldn't want any fish in my tank who were actually injected with something...seems very harmful...
It is. They have shorter lifespans, are prone to disease, and the injection sites often become infected

New Threads