Glo Skirt Tetra

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by patelh88, Apr 12, 2017.

1. p

patelh88 New Member Member

Last Monday, I had a friend give me 3 of his fishes that weren't compatible with his fish. I moved them in mine and the columbian tetra wasn't compatible with mine so I went to the LFS and gave it to them since it wasn't going to work in mine.

One of the glo fish Tetras he gave hasn't been eating. I've tried everything. I have Tetra Flakes (primary food), aqueon tropical flakes, hikari micro pellets, hikari bloodworms, hikari brine shrimp with spirulina, hikari sinking wafers and pleco wafers from my failed attempt at keeping an oto. So seven different foods and nothing. He swims and acts normal. Always active, swims back and forth normally like my other glo fish Tetras.

Parameters are at 0,0,20. Water changed twice in the last 7 days with RO water with replenish, prime and pristine in the last week and still no help. Double dosed stress guard to help from the 5 minute move but nothing.

Worried it's going to die if it doesn't eat. Still acts normal which is weird.

The ONLY issue is he has a black fin. Just one of all of them. From looking online it looks like it could be be ammonia or nitrite poisoning. My tank is very cycled since January and I do water changes every 5-7 days at minimum. My friends tank, while I haven't made sure but he's had it for over a year so I would think it's cycled. It's not getting fat or bloated so I'm thinking parasites are out of the question.

I dosed the tank with prazipro as preventative in the beginning to make sure the fish dont introduce anything to my tank. But even then majority of it has been removed through water changes. No carbon in my tank.

I'm at a loss. Please advise.

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank? So, how many glofish tetras do you have in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    p

PS. It swims through the food and everything but never opens its mouth. I've seen it open it's mouth at other times but never when feeding.

4. OP
    OP
    p

29g. 5. I had 6 but I think the columbian Tetra nipped one of the pectoral fins or whatever they are called and it passed away. It kept swimming in circles and kept getting stuck in my fake plants. After that is when I removed the columbian Tetra. This was 5 days ago.

5. OP
    OP
    p

Also this glo fish is the biggest of the 5.

6. aquatickeeper

He is probably not used to his new environment. I'll give him a few days to let him feel comfortable in his new home

7. OP
    OP
    p

It's been 7-8 days since he's been in the new tank. You think he needs more time? Should I keep the lights off for a longer period of time to help? It's on about 11-12 hours a day

8. aquatickeeper

I'll reduce the lighting to 6-8 hours. When I got a group of panda cories, they ate nothing until the 14th day

9. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

Some fish require more time than others. I've had fish eat right out of the bag and some fish (online orders) won't come out for three weeks. As long as he's swimming fine and not lethargic he should be alright. Try dimming your lighting. When I add new fish my lights are dimmed to 70% for about two weeks to help the fish adjust.

10. OP
    OP
    p

Will give it a shot. Thanks for the help guys. I don't have a dimmer so I'm just going to leave them off. They fast tommorow so starting today until Saturday morning there shouldn't be any stress from light or feeding frenzy.

11. aquatickeeper

You can also use garlic to bring out the flavors. That might get your fish to eat.

12. OP
    OP
    p

How would I use it to prepare the food? I really don't want to buy a bottle of garlic guard or whatever it's called for one fish.

13. cjbart1009

You know those pre chopped garlic that comes in jars? I just buy the organic ones and use the juice inside to entice my fish. I mostly keep smaller fish so I grind the pellets and put a few drops of the garlic and wait for it to absorb. But I only use it in my quarantine tank. Once they're in the main tank they don't need any encouragement to eat.

14. OP
    OP
    p

Will try it out. There's signs it's getting better but going very slow. He was eating very small pieces of the pleco wafers I put in crushed up. But next day I tried micro pellets and he put two in his mouth and spit it back out. Since then I haven't seen any interaction with the food besides swimming through it normally

15. cjbart1009

Also NLS Thera A has garlic already if you don't wanna do it yourself.

16. OP
    OP
    p

I think I should be okay. Fed flake food and actually ate a little. Even went to the surface to get the flakes like the rest of the fish. It didn't eat much but it actually kept it down so I'm happy

17. aquatickeeper

Yeah, sounds like your tetra is getting better!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice