glo-fish

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw something called glo-Fish at Petsmart yesterday and an aquarium at Walmart made for Glo-fish. What are these? Are they the same as glowlight tetras? I saw an article on fish with color injected into them. Is this what they meant?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do they look like colorful danios? If so, they're not dyed. Their DNA was injected with jellyfish DNA a few generations ago, but now when they breed, the colors are natural.

Hope this helps!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Glofish are genetically engineered to look like they do, not injected with dye. They are zebra danios.

If you google them, there is a lot of really interesting information about how they were engineered and why.

edit: BB

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's their website:

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nevermind didn't know that.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TheSwampFox said:
Nevermind didn't know that.
You should read the link that bolivianbaby provided. Also, good information on wikipedia about them.

IMO it is fine to buy them. They are not injected.

edit. Never mind, you completely edited your post while I was typing mine. lol... you are not alone - many people believe they are injected with dyes.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I read the website yesterday, but I wasn't sure if it was all legit. Those are pretty fish. I like the way they look under a black light, but the room has to be completely dark.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like the way they look, too. I started out my aquarium thinking I would have some, but ended up not getting any - I found out that I do not care for danios.

The information on the site is legit.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i also like glofish. i had a few and they were peaceful.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Personally, I like natural-colored zebra danios better...why buy these gaudy, artificial looking fish when the natural zebras are beautifully striped with sapphire and gold, with peacock-like fins? Just my 2 cents.

distant2nd

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For all purposes, glofish are just altered zebra danios. From a social perspective, they live the same way. I have 2 fish of each color kind offered, and one regular zebra danio (had 2, one died). They all live the community life of a school of zebra danios, and all have massive appetites =D

The Glofish may be more prone to sickness, I have one gal that has digestive issues, where my other fish are fine on the same diet.

brlandwehr

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had both Glofish and Zebras (right now I have both). The red ones look good in natural light, but if you're going to occasionally use a blacklight to highlight them the greens have the most color pop. They also school together nicely.

The main problem with Glofish is they are in fact patented, and thus expensive. You can get about 4 normal Zebras for every Glofish. I have the Glofish mainly because I have little kids who think it's amazingly cool to have glow-in-the-dark fish.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just feels too fad-ish for me.

There are several danio types and they have different temperments so don't let the zebras/glo-fish ruin it for anyone. I recently got some glowlight danios (danio choprai, not anything like glo-fish) and they are absolutely beautiful, and seem fairly peaceful. And CPDs are awesome also.

jamps

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
just bought 4 today and im so happy they wash all the stress in my body

atc2005

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sad Glofish

Can anyone help me with a sad-looking glofish? It looks like his tail is bent downward and he'll swim a minute and then float diagonally with his tail down. He won't eat and doesn't really care about a fish net. He is quarantined with a ph of 7.5-8 and some stress coat. I think he looked bad from the beginning at the store (we got 2 free) . . . I am an animal lover and hate to see them suffer. Hopefully someone can help. Temp. Gets up to 80 at times, and ph has been over 8 - just did a 50% h2o change in the quarantine and 25% in main 10 gal tank. Nitrates 5-10, no nitrite, ammonia looks to be .02 and ph 8.4? Am trying to lower both safely - suggestions welcome of course. 7 total glofish - 6 others seem fine and are growing in the 2 weeks I've had them.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore! It's better to start your own thread rather than hijack someone else's. You're more likely to get responses that way. Hopefully a moderator will see this soon and move it into its own thread.

There are several issues with your tank, the most immediate concerns being overcrowding and that your tank isn't cycled.
I suggest a large water change at this point. Someone will surely give you more details soon, or I'm going to be back in a few minutes and can try to help further.

atc2005

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome, thanks. I don't have a computer right now so I'm trying this on my phone . . . Sorry its not in the right place.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No biggie. The mods will fix it. I get on from my phone sometimes too.
Okay, so as I said, I see a few issues. One is that any time you have an ammonia or nitrite reading, your tank is not cycled. The link in my signature explains what I am talking about. Now, in your case, you are using test strips, which aren't accurate. I would encourage you to get your hands on a liquid test kit. The API kit can be ordered from Walmart under a generic name, I believe, for under $20, delivered to your store.

The other thing that might hinder your cycle is the use of Stress Zyme. I would personally not use this product, as I think it may prohibit your tank from completing the cycle naturally.

As far as your stock goes, you're way overcrowded for a 10 gallon. I think you're going to have problems getting your cycle going, as that much water won't be able to handle the bioload. Just as an example, the pleco, if it is a common one, is recommended for a minimum 55 gallon tank.

If you go to the main FL page, there is a list on fish on the right. Each one links to the fish's profile page, which tell you minimum tank size and adult size of the fish, along with important care information.

Good luck.

edit:
Here's a cut and paste about stress zyme. Something I wrote for a previous thread.

Stresszyme (and many other bacteria boosters like Cycle, etc.) are thought to contain non-aquatic bacteria. It drowns/dies in about a week, and that is why the bottle says to add it weekly. This is expensive and dangerous. The bottled bacteria eats the ammonia in the tank, which is why you get good readings. However, it can starve out the natural bacteria you need to cycle your tank. With the addition of the weekly-bacteria-in-a-bottle, your tank cannot complete the natural biological cycle.

I worry about the usage of this and similar products. The success of your tank relies solely on consistent and precise dosing. If you miss a time, or don't add enough, or add too much, or overfeed so there's a bit extra ammonia, etc., your tank can crash because it never cycled.

I know the stores push these products, but they make a lot of money off of weekly-addition products. And sad to say, they also make money on replacement fish.

atc2005

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the tips!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads