GLO fish tetra with an angel fish?

Westk

First off I’m very new to fish keeping. I have a 29 gallon tank that is cycled and I just added 6 GLO fish tetras 4 days ago with the intention of adding 2 more in about a week From what I understand these are black skirt tetras so all the research I’ve done was for black skirt tetras. Of course the reason I did GLO fish was because of young kids and learning about the nitrogen cycle was actually pretty interesting although tough on the kids due to the wait for fish.
Been testing water everyday readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 5- 10 nitrates. Ph is 7.8-8. And the fish seem to be doing well.
I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with about stocking the tank.
at first I wanted to add GLO fish barbs but am now thinking about maybe doing an angel fish.

So first about angel fish, would a 29 gallon tank be adequate? I have read differing opinions.

Also is the ph too high for an angel fish? At first I tried changing the ph with no luck and then I read a lot of people saying that it is just important to keep it constant.

If an angel fish is not suitable I’d love to hear opinions about if the barbs, GLOfish tiger barbs, would be suitable? I’ve also read a lot of differing opinions on this.

Finally, when I do stock more fish how quickly should I do it?

Sorry if that’s to many questions, I’m full of them.

Myyyman

This could be a bit hit and miss. You could put one angelfish in there, but they are social creatures and really should be kept in groups of 6 or more, which you can't do in a 29 gallon. You could still keep one though, as for PH, I believe they like it alkaline. No tiger barbs if you want angelfish, they'll rip its fins to shreds. I'd recommend more skirt tetras or rummynose tetras.

P.S Welcome to the forum!

Upvote 0

Westk

Thanks for the response. If I wasn't clear I wasn't planning on putting barbs and the angel fish together I was thinking picking one species or the other to add to the already existing tetras.

Upvote 0

Myyyman

You could always do a pair or maybe a trio, but you'd have to get only females otherwise they'll breed and kill everything else in the tank. A tank of tiger barbs would look awesome if you got 15-20 of them. They'd go well in a semi-aggressive tank setup.
My stocking recommendations:
12 Skirt tetras
12 Tiger barbs (any variety)
6 Corys (any variety)
1 Molly (not lyretail or sailfin)

Or

1 Angelfish
6 Skirt tetras
6 Cherry barbs
1 BN pleco

Or

3 Pearl Gouramis
12 Skirt tetras
6 Corys
1 BN pleco

Upvote 0

Westk

You could always do a pair or maybe a trio, but you'd have to get only females otherwise they'll breed and kill everything else in the tank. A tank of tiger barbs would look awesome if you got 15-20 of them. They'd go well in a semi-aggressive tank setup.
My stocking recommendations:
12 Skirt tetras
12 Tiger barbs (any variety)
6 Corys (any variety)
1 Molly (not lyretail or sailfin)

Or

1 Angelfish
6 Skirt tetras
6 Cherry barbs
1 BN pleco

Or

3 Pearl Gouramis
12 Skirt tetras
6 Corys
1 BN pleco
Awesome thanks again for the reply. I’ve been using the aqadviser website and it looks like what you suggested is right on for the stocking level according the website. My problem is I only have an aqueon Quietflow 20 so it’s saying I need more filtration. Wish I would have understood that before the Kid at petsmart sold me my current filter. But it is what it is. So that would lead me to the next question along those lines. Which is, what would be the best way to add more filtration?

I was also wondering about getting a bottom dwelling fish so thanks for the suggestions there!

If I were to take your second stocking seggestion with 1 angel what order would I add them in, or does it matter? And should I wait for a while in between adding fish?

Upvote 0

Myyyman

Adequate filtration means the water in the tank is being rotated at least 5 times an hour. I would recommend getting HOBs or internal filters. So you should have filters that equate to 150 gallons of flow per hour, although the more the merrier! Aim for mechanical and biological filtration, if you can then chemical filtration would be good too. You can customise the contents of the canisters in HOBs and internal filters easily, that's why I like them.
As for the order of introduction, Tetras first, wait at least 3 days, then barbs, another 3 or so days, and then the angel. The BN pleco can be added whenever. This order is to sort out aggression, if you add small fish to a bigger fish's territory then it'll get aggressive, but it's okay the other way around. As for the waits between adding, this is so you can make sure there is no ammonia spike.

EDIT: I forgot you already had the tetras, no need to wait for the cherries then!

Upvote 0

Westk

Adequate filtration means the water in the tank is being rotated at least 5 times an hour. I would recommend getting HOBs or internal filters. So you should have filters that equate to 150 gallons of flow per hour, although the more the merrier! Aim for mechanical and biological filtration, if you can then chemical filtration would be good too. You can customise the contents of the canisters in HOBs and internal filters easily, that's why I like them.
As for the order of introduction, Tetras first, wait at least 3 days, then barbs, another 3 or so days, and then the angel. The BN pleco can be added whenever. This order is to sort out aggression, if you add small fish to a bigger fish's territory then it'll get aggressive, but it's okay the other way around. As for the waits between adding, this is so you can make sure there is no ammonia spike.

EDIT: I forgot you already had the tetras, no need to wait for the cherries then!
So the filter I have says it does 125 gallons per hour so just a little short of what you said. Thanks for helping me understand this better. Right now I’m using the filter cartridge that aqueon sells you for that filter, it has carbon, and I just added some purigen to it. To get the extra 25 gallons per minute should I add another hob filter or do I have other options?
really wish I was sold a more proper size hob filter but I guess thats what I get for doing my research after purchasing.
You’ve been super helpful so thanks, been doing so much research on this I guess I’m hooked. Started out just trying to get my daughter some fish in a small tank. Then expanded to a 20 gallon then at the store went to 29 gallon. now I’ve been thinking about getting a second, larger tank in a little while.

Upvote 0

Myyyman

It's an addictive hobby, that's for sure! If you can chance upon one then an internal filter is probably best, it'll fit in you tank even if you hood or lid has an open area for your HOB, but is otherwise enclosed. Like I said earlier though, if you're willing to spend a little more money, then a bigger filter is better. BUT, a bigger filter doesn't mean a canister filter! That's important - canister filters really aren't necessary unless you have fish like discus (which need absolutely pristine water), as you're basically spending more money for more work cleaning it all the time.
I'm glad to be of service, looks like it's going to be a great tank!

Upvote 0

Nikn

A 29 gallon is defiantly too small for a group of angels. As Myyyman said there are different options. I keep angels and my ph is just like yours 7.8-8. My angles are perfectly happy, so the ph is not an issue.

Useful tip: You don't need to match the water requirements the fish would have in the wild (unless you are buying wild caught). You should try to match it to the place they were born and raised.

Upvote 0

Westk

A 29 gallon is defiantly too small for a group of angels. As Myyyman said there are different options. I keep angels and my ph is just like yours 7.8-8. My angles are perfectly happy, so the ph is not an issue.

Useful tip: You don't need to match the water requirements the fish would have in the wild (unless you are buying wild caught). You should try to match it to the place they were born and raised.
Thanks for the reply.

What do you think about 1 angel in the tank? More opinions the better as this seems to be a point of contention. I've heard 55 gallons minimum but also have heard 29 minimum from a bunch of different sources. I'm just very happy there is a community of people willing to help the newbie!

Since you have angels do you think black skirt tetras are a good match for them?

Thanks for the tip on PH also, this is exactly what I have read many times now.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

A 29 gallon is to small for an angel fish especially with other fish and barbs are fin nippers so they don’t mix well at all.

Upvote 0

Nikn

Thanks for the reply.

What do you think about 1 angel in the tank? More opinions the better as this seems to be a point of contention. I've heard 55 gallons minimum but also have heard 29 minimum from a bunch of different sources. I'm just very happy there is a community of people willing to help the newbie!

Since you have angels do you think black skirt tetras are a good match for them?

Thanks for the tip on PH also, this is exactly what I have read many times now.
I would get a school of barbs rather than only one angel. In a 55 gallon you could keep more angels but, maybe thats something you want to get into later on. For now just stick to a school of barbs ad or/tetras.

I never kept black skirt tetras with angels but I would think so. I know people keep them with neons so black skirts should be just fine.

Upvote 0

Westk

I would get a school of barbs rather than only one angel. In a 55 gallon you could keep more angels but, maybe thats something you want to get into later on. For now just stick to a school of barbs ad or/tetras.

I never kept black skirt tetras with angels but I would think so. I know people keep them with neons so black skirts should be just fine.
Well this and the message above this are not really what I wanted to hear because i was hoping for an angel fish. But I am not dead set on it, and am open to suggestions. Does anyone else have suggestions for stocking this tank?

I liked Myymans suggestions above. Since I'm new to this I don't really know a large variety of tropical fish so most of them are new to me. At this point I'm wishing I would have gone through this before setting up the tank but you live and you learn, the next tank will be better for it!

I really like tiger barbs but I'm a little concerned with them being aggressive that they might not get along with the black skirt tetras.

Gouramis look cool but it seems like they could get too big. What about dwarf Gouramis?

Upvote 0

Myyyman

Gouramis wont get along with tiger barbs (usually) so you'd have to choose between the two. Some types of gourami good for your tank include pearls, dwarfs, honeys, sparkling and paradise fish. Always make sure you have a 2 female: 1 male ratio or go all females. Some gouramis can have genetic issues caused by inbreeding but that's not usually the case. Tiger barbs would do fine with black skirts and livebearers (excluding guppies). If you like the look of gouramis then I'm sure I or any others on the thread could help you with stocking, just tell us what type interests you.

But, ultimately this is your decision and I'm getting a little carried away so feel free to browse any other species of fish! Angelfish in anything under a 50 gallon is almost as controversial a discus, IMO 1 or 2 would by okay in a 29 gallon but it's really up to what you think is best for the fish.

Upvote 0

Nikn

You could also get a school of rainbow fish together with a school of cory catfish. Green barbs go well together with tiger barbs. You could also keep other dwarf ciclids such as apistogramm, rams and kribensis. If I were you I would go to a bigger fish store and just see what they have. Thats the easiest way to find something you are drawn to. After note down the name of the fish and do some research before you buy anything.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
Corzz79