Glo-Fish Explained

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by vin, May 8, 2006.

1. vinWell Known MemberMember

Not sure if this is 100% accurate or not, but I found this mini article as I was curious to know how these little fish came to be....from Time Magazine.

Here's more from FishMart.....

They sound pretty cool and altered at egg stage, indicating no harm to adults or juveniles.....

Still not sure how I feel about them though.

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

It sounds like the Rice Fish from the first article are ok. But the Zebra Danios from the second article sound like they're being used for a lot of testing...

3. vinWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I guess that's what the process was initially developed for....Still not sure if I could support that though.....

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I would never buy those fish that were developed for testing. I can't find anything wrong with the Rice Fish though unless they're used for testing also. Unless there are any side affects with the genetic modification...

5. vinWell Known MemberMember

Check out this link....It was from that Time article....It seems that this is the company that either developed them or distributes them in Taiwan

6. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

darnit... im confused...

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

about what?

8. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

just whether its ok or not...

9. vinWell Known MemberMember

That's a personal choice....You do as you wish and don't let anyone influence your decision.

10. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

I've heard that the ingections harm the fish.

11. MarcWell Known MemberMember

The dye injections suffered by painted fish are not the same as Glo-Fish. They are NOT injected, painted, or dyed.

12. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

How is the Jellyfish DNA mixed with their DNA if not injected. Just curious.
    Carol

13. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I thought someone said the DNA was injected into the eggs.

14. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I'm not a Biologist or anything ... but wouldn't they have to attach the Jellyfish DNA to a certain place in the fish DNA?
    Carol

15. MarcWell Known MemberMember

A viral vector could be used for that purpose. Not sure exactly how it'd be done, but it'd have to affect the reproductive system as well (if people have gotten them to breed and the offspring, too, were glo-fish)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice