Glo-fish Danio Issue

FirstTankOwner0404

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new here so forgive me if this has been asked before. I've had my tank since August 2017 and in the last two weeks my Danio has become bloated, I think. My neon tetra and 2 Amano shrimp seem to be fine so i'm not sure if she is sick or carrying eggs. I know they are not live bearers but i'm really concerned. She has been fine for months as she was the 3rd in the tank (after the 2 shrimp). I've been reading about how most Danios that bloat, sit at the bottom of the tank and die. She is eating fine and she is swimming around, although it does seem to be difficult for her to turn but I think that has to do with the weight she put on. I originally was feeding them twice a day but I noticed she got a little belly so I changed feeding to once, in the mornings. The "belly" went away, this was maybe 3 months ago. Now, she has it worse. At first you could tell she got bigger but it was kind of a misshaped belly. Like rounded but with an extra small bulge in one spot. It has gotten even bigger but is a smooth round belly now. I tested the water, everything seems within the safe zones but the nitrate is a little off color which scares me. I plan to go to the store tomorrow morning for a nitrate remover just in case. But I wasn't sure if there was something I could do until then... Any suggestions? Do you think she is sick?

Sorry, I just realized my Prime water conditioner is supposed to detoxify the ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate levels. So I guess I could try to put a little more in there and retest it.

FirstTankOwner0404

Reaction score
I feed them a pinch every morning before work. How long do you think I should fast them for? I guess if I see it going down after 2 days, that will be a good indication.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Female danios when holding can look enormous. My zebra danios (same as the glow fish just not colored) females, basically every morning are giant, then they spawn and look like lil fatties a day or two until they load up again.

Danios are a schooling fish, she should have 5-9 friends with her, odd are there will be a male (likely several) and she'll spawn and all is fine. If she doesn't have a male to induce spawning she can become egg bound but most of the time they will stack eggs for a period of time and eventually drop them on their own. Don't add a male to help if you don't have them already in the tank it can sometimes make the situation worse.

Just grabbed a quick photo of a couple of my ladies. So you can compare to yours. The two ladies in this photo are completely healthy, normal spawning adults. The school spawns basically every morning and most ladies are ready every second or third day. Apologies but they are far from easy to photograph and I took 24 photos and the boys are just smears so nothing to compare to.
d7f8a54c48bdb9252c0ef617e28c194c.jpg

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

It is also possible that she is constipated. You can try feeding her some peas, which will help alleviate constipation. What you need to do is take a frozen pea and thaw or blanch it. Then take the skin off the outside of the pea, and cut it into piece small enough for her to eat.

I also wanted to mention that while Prime detoxes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, it does not change your test results. Test kits generally cannot tell the difference between detoxed and non-detoxed ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

It sounds like you are using test strips. Test strips are notorious for being inaccurate (and if you can't trust your test results...why bother testing?). I would highly recommend investing in an API Master Test Kit for Freshwater. While somewhat pricey, it is very accurate and is what most serious fish keepers here use.

Best of luck!

FirstTankOwner0404

Reaction score
Thanks all for replying. I am going to try fasting then try the peas if I don't notice any difference in the next couple days. Also, thank you for mentioning the kit as I am just using the strips lol. I will order one this weekend! Thanks again for all the help.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have gotten some good information so far. I just wanted to point out that the best way to lower the nitrate is by doing water changes. The nitrate will continue to go up and when they do you need to change out smoe of the water to lower them.

Your fish make the ammonia. In a cycled tank the ammonia poops and that forms nitrites, the nitrites poop and that form nitrates. This is a constant circle. Since nothing in our tank but plants eat nitrates we have to remove them with water changes.

It is true that prime will detoxify ammonia, nitrites and nitrates but only up to a certain point and should only be used for that purpose while cycling a tank. Once cycled one should see no ammonia or nitrites but will see nitrates and must keep them low with water changes. It is recommended keeping them below 40 although below 20 would be even better.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FirstTankOwner0404 said:
This is Viola. She seems a lot bigger than yours but it could just be the pictures... It scares me how big she actually is..
Looks like she's just full of eggs to me. If she has a proper school then there's no reason she shouldn't soon start spawning and be perfectly healthy. If she is without a school and males it could become an issue as she may not drop her eggs on her own. It's likely that you will begin seeing this from her on a regular basis either way.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom